Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N00b Questions

waynes_world_45

Hello all - I am interested in getting into back into competitive shooting, especially IDPA. I have shot IPSC for about 5 years in the late '80s, but at 42, I figure IDPA may suit me better now.

In reviewing the rulebook I am left with a few questions.

1. Does the clock run the entire time, or stop and start with stage changes? This would make a big difference in # of mags to use.

2. On reloads, do I read it to say that they must be secured on person? In IPSC we just let them drop.

3. Are bottomless holsters, called slides, legal in IDPA? I like the Comp-Tac IWB slide holster.

Thanks in advance, Wayne

1. Like IPSC, the clock runs from the Go buzz til the last shot of a stage or string.

IDPA will have no more than 18 scored hits per timed string.

You may only have the magazine in the gun and two on your person for reloads in a given string or stage.

More is convenient to get ready for the next stage or string but not necessary.

2. There are two allowable IDPA reloads.

You may shoot to slidelock, drop the empty magazine, reload, close the slide, and shoot.

If you reload with a round still in the chamber, you must retain the depleted magazine whether or not it is completely empty.

You may NOT drop a magazine out from under a loaded chamber a la IPSC.

3. IDPA rule says ANY strong side IWB holster is allowed.

• 3 weeks later...
And retaining an empty mag is just so GAY!

Arrgghhh....

You don't know it's empty unless you are at slide lock (encouraged) or have counted (discouraged). It's not a rule about empty mags as much as it's to not reward those who would count rounds for an advantage....

All this is "IMO".

Why do others think rules dictate we retain empty/partial mags if doing a slide forward reload?

Then there are those that drop that empty mag, stick in another mag and rack the slide. Then they claim they either lost count or they thought their slide did not lock back.

If you rack the slide per Joe D and a live round pops out, you get a Procedural because you effectively did a speedload.

In a Tac Load I put the depleted magazine in my left front pants pocket - I wear khakis, not jeans so I don't fumble it too often. Pocket is faster than trying to thread them back into a pouch and the pants pocket doesn't flap around and present a moving target like a vest. In the rare CoF that requires reuse of the depleted mag, I nearly always slap my pouch before remembering to go to the pocket but that is just a liability of a seldom used move. The OTHER reason not to put a depleted magazine back in the pouch is that if you need to make another reload and pick up a partial instead of a full mag, you are out of luck.

But remember, I am Captain of Team Mediocre. The good shooters probably do it differently. A lot of them will poke the depleted magazine in their waistband. It is fast and the mag doesn't fall out very often but is accessible for reuse if required.

Hello all - I am interested in getting into back into competitive shooting, especially IDPA. I have shot IPSC for about 5 years in the late '80s, but at 42, I figure IDPA may suit me better now.

In reviewing the rulebook I am left with a few questions.

1. Does the clock run the entire time, or stop and start with stage changes? This would make a big difference in # of mags to use.

2. On reloads, do I read it to say that they must be secured on person? In IPSC we just let them drop.

3. Are bottomless holsters, called slides, legal in IDPA? I like the Comp-Tac IWB slide holster.

Thanks in advance, Wayne

Dont worry about anything but having a great time!! Dont let your age bother you at all, I get my butt handed to me by guys in thier 40's on a regular basis and I am not that bad. IDPA is a great way to get back into shooting but shooting both games( yes both are games) will make you that much better. Remember that shooting is shooting. Good Luck!

While doing a reload with retention (that's all I have ever really practiced), the "old" mag goes in my vest's left (weak hand) side pocket.

I'm not into 5.11 pants or shorts yet, and the vest pocket just seems so much easier to get a mag into.

I don't like the front pocket or inside the waistband especially if I am wearing jeans. Seems like my next move after that is kneeling and I'm getting jabbed or pinched by the mag.

Or if I move really fast and it's in the waistband, there goes the mag a falling to the ground....Arrgghh

While doing a reload with retention (that's all I have ever really practiced), the "old" mag goes in my vest's left (weak hand) side pocket.

I'm not into 5.11 pants or shorts yet, and the vest pocket just seems so much easier to get a mag into.

I don't like the front pocket or inside the waistband especially if I am wearing jeans. Seems like my next move after that is kneeling and I'm getting jabbed or pinched by the mag.

Or if I move really fast and it's in the waistband, there goes the mag a falling to the ground....Arrgghh

As far as reloads are concerned, the rule of thumb to remember is to always slide lock reload unless mandated by the coarse of fire. With other types of legal idpa reloads their is a greater chance of dropping a mag and of coarse they are slower. Run your gun empty even if means making up a shot somewhere.

As far as reloads are concerned, the rule of thumb to remember is to always slide lock reload unless mandated by the coarse of fire. With other types of legal idpa reloads their is a greater chance of dropping a mag and of coarse they are slower. Run your gun empty even if means making up a shot somewhere.

[/quote