Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheyenne Shootout/wyoming State Championship

They are IPSC stages.

There are some targets that can be shot on the move and some very tight shots. Some of the stages can be shot in about 4-5 different ways. On my one and only stage (Stage 2) I saw four different methods of shooting and the times were very similar.

They are the sort of thing that you would find at an International match. They were really good. I had a walk-through on them all before the match started (pointless effort as it turns out).

I'm no entirely sure, all three magazines failed to feed. Nothing has changed since I shot last week and everything worked fine. The only thing that I can think of is my stance. I have a swollen elbow at the moment and I can't extend my arms as far as I used to.

My thought is that the recoil spring is too heavy, if I extend my arms and give the gun something to push against then it works, but if my arms are bent more then the slide does not come back far enough to pick up the new round.

I am going to try a lighter spring at the next match and see if that fixes it. I have to wait until the next match as I don't have access to a range, unless I go up to the National Park at Left Hand Canyon (or Beirut as it is known to the locals).

Paul,

I feel your pain. I am sitting home waiting for news from my guys who actually got to go this weekend. Thurs. night we had a rescue in a collapsed trench and I blew my back out again. So there goes the trip to Cheyenne. I was so much looking forward to this match.

Hope you get your gun up and running.

Take care, Craig

Paul,

I feel your pain. I am sitting home waiting for news from my guys who actually got to go this weekend. Thurs. night we had a rescue in a collapsed trench and I blew my back out again. So there goes the trip to Cheyenne. I was so much looking forward to this match.

Hope you get your gun up and running.

Take care, Craig

Craig..

hope you heal soon..

stuart

Stuart,

Thanks, at this point I am tempted to tell em just cut out the ruined stuff, make me two inches shorter and call it good. Unfortunately I don't think that's how its gonna work. No worries though I will be up and about soon. Until then I will just enjoy the nice Lortab and Soma induced naps :D

Take care, Craig

Ara and Working Crew:

Huge kudos for a well designed and well run big match. Good people, good stages, good competition, good weather ( ;) who would have thunk it?), good stuff overall. And kudos to BruceG and others to show the great Area 1 support.

Thanks for all the efforts!

Paul,

Your entire squad was very sorry to see your pain and lose you for the match.

One idea: what's your OAL? When Bevan was tuning some of my mags a few years ago, he convinced me to get my OAL to under 1.230. I typically run 1.225-1.228". If one or two rounds are just slightly too long, it can cause the kind of problems that I think you had. Anyway, if you loaded specifically for this match, might that have been a variable?

Otherwise, take Henning up on his offer to live with your gun for a day (with your ammo!). He'll get it figured out.

Best of luck on those issues...let me know if I can help in some way.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm running 1.20 on the rounds. After I got home and had time to sit down and figure it all out I realised that the slide wasn't coming back far enough to pick up the next round. If the mags were the problem then the gun would have jammed, it wasn't doing that, it just wasn't picking up the next round.

I have been running a 14lb spring but my load is much lower than Henning uses so I'm going to try the 12lb spring at the next match. The mags have worked great since I switched to Beven Gramms followers, I should have realised that at the match.

Just wanted my Squad to know that I made it home in one piece.

After spending 10 days up there, my wife and I agree that it sure is beautiful country.

I put a total of 5393.3 miles on my truck.

THANK YOU!!!!! to my GREAT Squad for being very supportive of me when my gun decided to malfunction, and again when my back up malfunctioned.

Some days (matches) just aren't yours. This match wasn't.

But I had a GREAT TIME shooting with, working with, and laughing with Squad 8.

THANKS! :D:D:D

This was one of the most fun USPSA matches I have ever attended. 9 stages of run and gun fun, plus a nightmare of a standards.

Thanks very much.

(Still waiting here for results-the bad news for me-a death jam on the stagecoach stage trashed my score).

These were posted to our section email list..

What a great time! The props were excellent and helped with "visualization". I sure learned a lot too:

- 15 hours in a car one way is a long time, even with the comedy channel on satellite radio

- just because your gun works great with half full mags, it doesn't mean it will with full ones. (I'm an underprivileged Canadian restricted to 10 rounds)

- Wyoming is a lot like Southern Alberta.

- There's a lot of GREAT folks shooting this sport

- The border really isn't that hard to cross with the proper paper work.

Thanks again for a great match, looking forward to going again

I, too, had a GREAT time shooting on squad 8!! I loved the stages and the props made the difference in good stages and great stages! Thanks Ara and crew...

Cheryl :)

PS...Ray, its good to know your trip went well...It was fun to meet you and your wife..hope we can shoot together again :)