Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load And Make Ready Procedures

1911jerry

I am always looking for a better method to load and make ready.

Currently shooting production with a glock 34. I keep 5 in pouches on my belt and one in a pocket as a starter mag. So I grab the one in the mag pouch furthest in the back and top off and return it to its mag holder in back. I grab the one in my pocket and load and make ready, and put in the holster, wait for next command.

Am I missing something?? Is there a better method?

Thanks

Jerry

why not just load 11 rds in the one in your pocket and load it as your first mag?

Currently shooting production with a glock 34. I keep 5 in pouches on my belt and one in a pocket as a starter mag. So I grab the one in the mag pouch furthest in the back and top off and return it to its mag holder in back. I grab the one in my pocket and load and make ready, and put in the holster, wait for next command.

Thanks

Jerry

My technique in L-10 was to have a barney mag in my right back pocket and my starting mag in my left rear pocket. I gets stressed just thinking about putting a partially filled mag in a mag pouch.

Of course I've seen a bunch of people (mainly in Open and Limited) using just the method you describe. In Production everyone just loads 11 in the mag to start, but I live in SC.

Personally, I carry 4 mags on my belt and one in my front pocket. I load one round from the last mag on the belt and put it back. I take the one from my pocket and load it in the magwell. When I finish the course of fire I take the round I just ejected and use it top off my last mag. Yes, I have "only" 9 rounds in my last mag during the course of fire, but if I can't finish the course of fire with 50 rounds, I dont think the 51st is going to save me.

why not just load 11 rds in the one in your pocket and load it as your first mag?

Exactly. If you have hi caps, load 11 in the first mag and be done with it.

I was at a match last month and new shooter was asking about this. One of the more experienced shooters told him load a round from his last mag, put it back and put in another with 10 rounds for 11 rounds to start. He even told the shooter to remember that he would only have 9 rounds in his last mag.

I say keep it simple and load 11 in your first mag and fugetaboutit.

Thanks

Jerry

Jerry,

When you talk about a better method do you mean on how to load or how to come up with a routine on what to do when you are given the LAMR command?

First off, your way is fine. The only change one could make is to load one, holster your pistol, load a round in your pocket (or wherever) to fill that and then seat that mag in the pistol, leaving the ones on your belt full.

That being said, hi-caps ARE LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA, so long as you had them prior to being banned. If they were illegal, I really couldn't shoot these could I:

ee233078.jpg

Brazos.jpg

1911jerry. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. Living (or being from) Fremont, I'm guessing that you shoot at Richmond. Ask anyone there and they are more than willing to help. In just looking at April's Open results, if you ask Alvin Ilarina, Ron Gunar or Kevin Chu, they will definitely take care of you. And, if you run into Sheryl Cruz, tell her I say hi! :wub:

Anyways, I'll be home in 84 days (hopefully Saturday, 08 JUL). If that's the case, I'll be at the Limited Match on the 16th (unfortunately can't make the Open). I'll be at Yolo on the 9th too (yep just a few hours after arriving from Korea...hope I can wake up in time). As I'll be home for like 6 weeks, I'm sure we'll run into one another at some point. Feel free to come up to me and ask anything that you want. I'll do my best to assist/guide you in any way possible.

Take care and glad to have you shooting.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

84 days 'til I'm off the ROK!

• 2 weeks later...

Well shoot I feel like a dummy now. :blink: I have been loading 10 in my mags and running them without the extra round. Didn't think to ask if I could throw a round in the chamber first. Might just save me that extra reload every now and again.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to this addiction called IPSC, so not a lot of experience, but I will pass on a tip from the instructor that did our Black Badge course (its a Canada thing..)

His approach was use a stripper mag ( I am using one with a wonky follower that I dont trust any more) with a SINGLE round in it. Use that mag at the Load and Make Ready command to put one in the pipe, with the idea that when you drop that mag, you can look into the top of the ejected mag - if there is nothing left in the mag, the round fed properly. If you see a round in the mag, it wasnt seated properly, or you did not pull back on the slide far enough.

I dont know for certain, but I expect that this practice was initiated by a rather ominous "CLICK" :o following the audible, and he swore it would never happen again !

I'm with MJL100, using a mag with only one in it for those same reasons. I shoot L10 with four on the belt. I LAMR with the stripper mag and a full mag from the left front pocket, stripper goes into the left rear, and the round from the chamber goes into the stripper after I unload and show clear.

Having a ton of ten 10 rounders from way back, I use them. 6 mags on the belt, loader in rear pocket. Load gun, remove mag, take the magazine from the absolute farthest carrier, insert, press check, holster, ready to go.

I shoot a G17 in production with 10 round mags. I use the "Jack" mag method. Step up with the "Jack" (1 round in mag) mag in left front pocket, 4 loaded (very important) mags on my belt, and 1 in my left back pocket (I'm right handed). Load and make ready I "Jack" a round in the gun from my jack mag in my left front pocket, remove that mag, if I see follower the round is chambered, put the mag back in my pocket. Retrive the full mag from my left back pocket, insert into the gun, make sure it is seated, and holster. Now some may frown upon this, but I even do this load and make ready "Ritual" on 10 round or less Virginia count strings (just to keep things the same).

When I shoot Lim 10 with my Armscor (nice gun for the money by the way) I have 15 round mags. Each mag is numbered, #1 gets 11 rounds loaded, thats my load and make ready mag. Load and make ready is much easier in Lim 10 for me.

The correct answer is "It depends." When I shoot L10 with my single stack I use one of my old 7 rounders out of my back pocket to put a round in the chamber and reload with a ten rounder. Unless there are mandatory reloads with a Virginia count. Then it doesn't make sense to throw additional rounds on the ground. If I have a stage that calls for an early reload and I am confident that I won't need the additional rounds, then I don't bother with the 11th round. However, I don't see a reason to carry an empty magazine. I think of it as my catastrophe magazine. I've had mags fall out of pouches, but never out of my back pocket.