Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 9x19mm Reloader - Which Brass And How Many Reloads Per Case?

chrisjohn

Yeah, I reload them 'till I lose them or until they get stepped on and are two deformed to resize, thought it is amazing how deformed a case needs to be before the dies can't beat it back into shape.

I have found that some military brass has tight primer pockets which make it difficult to seat the primer. I would rather purchase commercial brass for reloading.

Peersonally I reload my 9mm and 40 S&W brass 4 times and then fire the last reloads at ranges where one does not pick up brass. For 45 ACP and 38 Special I reload until the mouth frays.

Above all avaoid any AMERC brass.

Edited by TonyT

I have found that somne military brass has tight primer pockets which make it difficult to seat the primer. I would rather purchase commercial brass for reloading.

Military brass is crimped and the edge of the primer pocket needs to be chamfered. Much easier to use commercial.

Isn't it amazing, though, how ofter you see new reloaders who don't know about the crimp. With the Dillon 550, you can easily (more or less) force that primer into many of the once fired 9mms and I see lots of shooters who have done that. Squiiiiish, crunch...

Much easier and far better to just buy commercial or buy once-fired military that has been "processed" (for a few bucks per thousand these sellers remove the crimp from the military brass for you).

I do that with 223, 308 and 30'06. With 9mms, I just get the commercial and quit reloading them when, as other posters said, I lose them.

Bob

Chris, if it is processed then you are good to go!

The primer pocket will go first if you load it too long, but chances are you will lose it before that happens shooting minor! :lol:

Remember that you will see a big variation at the chrono with mixed brass, esp. in 9x19. Load em up and have fun!

DougC

Edited by DougC

I get 9mm brass for nearly free. In fact at the moment I am getting far more than I can shoot.

I get once fired ex Police Speer, I clean and inspect then reload. I discard any oddball stuff and all Military, they then all go to the recyclers.

I only load minor so when I have fired it once, my Dad takes what I find and re-cleans it and then uses it two or three more times and then dumps it at the recyclers. If he gets ahead of my rate of use then I just give him the cleaned once fired and he carries on. He will immediately take any and all of the once fired Federal Nickel Cases that I get from the same range and puts them aside for matches.

Avoid military brass, go for the commercial once fired (processed if you want), it will not be that expensive in the long run.

There are many good suppliers of better quality once fired it's not worth going for the very cheapest.