Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safari Crashes A Lot

DJPoLo

I'm having a lot of issues with Safari crashing when reading these forums in tabs. :(

It doesn't seem to happen elsewhere, but admittedly, I don't spend the same volume of time on the internet anywhere else.

Scenario: I login to the forums and open the threads that I want to read in seperate tabs. Sometimes it's the tenth (or 11th or 20th or whatever) tab that's opened that crashes the app and sometimes it's the first or second.

Kinda frustrating. Any thoughts?

Oh, yeah: Mac Powerbook 1.33 GHz G4, 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM, OS X (10.3.9), Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6).

-Chet

I'm having a lot of issues with Safari crashing when reading these forums in tabs. :(

It doesn't seem to happen elsewhere, but admittedly, I don't spend the same volume of time on the internet anywhere else.

Scenario: I login to the forums and open the threads that I want to read in seperate tabs. Sometimes it's the tenth (or 11th or 20th or whatever) tab that's opened that crashes the app and sometimes it's the first or second.

Kinda frustrating. Any thoughts?

Oh, yeah: Mac Powerbook 1.33 GHz G4, 1.5 GB DDR SDRAM, OS X (10.3.9), Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6).

-Chet

hate to say it but that os is a bit long of tooth. i don't recall every haveing issues when i ran jag or panther, but tiger seems solid, and i do tons of tabs...

I had the same problem. Nothing fixed it. Switched to Firefox.

Is there a quick and painless way to move all of my bookmarks over to Firefox?

Oops! Aswered my own question by looking here. :wub:

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

Hmmm... No tab crashes in Firefox, but now my penguin dances much too fast. <_<

-Chet

:D

But Cullen's eye blinks about the same...

On 10.3.9, Firefox (1.0.6) loads the Forum's pages noticeably faster/snappier than Safari (1.3.1). But I don't like the way you have to "tab out" of Firefox's Reply Box before you can scroll, so I still use Safari more often. (With Safari, while clicked into a Repy Box, I can scroll the page with either my keyboard's scroll wheel or my scrolling mouse.)

be

On 10.3.9, Firefox (1.0.6) loads the Forum's pages noticeably faster/snappier than Safari (1.3.1). But I don't like the way you have to "tab out" of Firefox's Reply Box before you can scroll, so I still use Safari more often. (With Safari, while clicked into a Repy Box, I can scroll the page with either my keyboard's scroll wheel or my scrolling mouse.)

be

I've noticed the same things so after a 24-hour test, I'm back to Safari.

-Chet

• 3 weeks later...

Still don't unnerstan' why everyone has trouble with Safari. It's my "goto" browser because it has always worked pretty darned well and always way better than IE and lately quite a bit better than anything else out there except Opera (but I can't stand the ads in Opera free version and won't buy the full version).

I have 10+ Mac systems of my own running 24/7 nowadays and they all run Safari flawlessly. My builds always have. I open tabs dozens at a time and sometimes have 4-5 windows open with 8-10 tabs each with no issues. Mozilla would choke on this.

My machines range from G3 B&W's and Clamshell iBooks to accelerated and non-accelarated G4 single and DP towers and the latest G4 iBooks and PowerBooks. No issues on any of them with ANY Apple apps. I also have dozens of clients, each with lots of Macs and after I am done getting their issues straightened out, all of their machines run Safari as the main browser flawlessly too.

My track record goes back to early Panther days and is attributable to good OS installation practices coupled with proper maintenance procedures.

If a machine runs quirky with ANY of the apple apps under any version of X later than 10.3.2 and the machine came with that version of X, or later, then it needs a backup, a HD scrub and a fresh install using best practices.

Only older legacy hardware that did not originally support X is allowed to have any quirks running Apple software under X. If it came with 10.3 or later and the hardware ain't broke, then it can be fixed.

The interesting thing here is that my older G3 B&W towers run X anything as reliably and solidly as any of my newest hardware, just a little slower.

Here is a set of guidlines on how not to kill a perfectly good OS X build:

http://www.applescore.com/faq/faq_qanda.php?id=87

http://www.applescore.com/faq/faq_qanda.php?id=94

Regards,

Since I did the latest 1.3.2 Safari upgrade (I'm still on 10.3.9), it's bombed more times in a week (with only a few tabs open and twice while working in the AdminCP) than it did in several months. (When Safaril was still v 1.3.1.) It does seem to load the Forum's pages a notch quicker though.

(Geoff - I'll be moving to Tiger or whatever the latest OS is soon. Maybe later this week. Getting real close to getting a new PB, got a couple trips coming up soon.)

be