Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Rifle Comp.

Singlestack

Ok, heres the deal. Last winter I was informed that comps were going to be legal on limited rifles so I jumped the buzzer and installed a JP on my rifle. I never dreamed they would make up a rule that would make my JP illegal. Now I want to either cut the JP down to 1 inch or cut it off (it is legally installed on a post ban rifle) and install something else. My question is how effective will the JP be cut down to 1 inch? Will it be as effective as any of the "legal" comps? Should I cut it off and start over? I'm leaning towards cutting it down to 1 inch now and I think it will probably be as effective as any other "legal" comp on the market.

Opinions please.

John... sorry, thought I had read where someone had taken the JP brake, and turned it down to the 1in diameter, with the concave baffle, and made it a "legal" comp for USPSA...thought it was Kelly

its been a rough school year, my brain is turning to mush

Well, I'm going to have the JP cut down to 1 inch. My GS is only going to charge me $40 so I'm going to try that first. I'll update on how the rifle acts and how effective the "legal" JP is.....

This is such a dumb rule! I do not understand it. Makes as much sense to me as saying you can use comps on pistols but they can only have X amount of holes. It is all USPSA politics.

IMO, if comps are legal, then comps are legal!

I agree the rule has problems (hell, lots of our rules have problems ;-) but, it wasn't motivated by politics - at least, not *our* politics.

The issue was that several manufacturers were producing otherwise-Limited ARs, with welded-on muzzle-brakes.  If we left it so that no ports at all were allowed in Limited, these rifles would have been illegal.  When SOF came out with guidelines that allowed these 1" diameter "comps", Michael Voigt proposed that we adopt the same guidelines for Limited rifle, so as not to disenfranchise people who bought these rifles.

Right or wrong, that's how it happened....

Bruce

Well, OK... how about this?

Under the old rules, you could not have used a comp of *any* kind in Limited.  Now, you can.  A "Limited" one, but a comp nonetheless.

Does that make it any better?   ;-)

Bruce

I understand Voight's reasoning and perhaps the decision was the best one under the circumstances.  Trying to coordinate with the other 3 guning organizations is a worthwhile goal.  Trying to allow people to compete who have just bought new rifles is a worthwhile goal.  However, I personally believe that limited should be limited and not allow comps at all.  As USPSA's rule stands, it's allows for most every comp except the JP.  

(Edited by kellyn at 9:48 pm on Feb. 8, 2002)