Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Honda Element, Opinions Wanted

So it about time to replace my 96 Cavalier. It has a little over 204,000 miles on it and still has the original exhaust but its getting to that point where if the transmission fell out on the road going to work one morning this week I would not be surprised. So I have been thinking about a new vehicle. My first impulse was to go back to a pickup truck like I had before I inherited the GFWTR's Cavalier. I bought her a Mini Cooper S and took the Cavalier to drive to work.

At first I was going to look at a Chevy Colorado but in actuality I don't really need an open cargo area of the pickup very often. The Honda Element has caught my attention it has a fairly larger cargo area and its a secure cargo area. Yes it is ugly but sort of like an A-10 Warhog is ugly and beautiful at the same time. I love the rubberized floor and the way the rear seat fold up out of the way. I think it would be a great vehicle for throwing my shooting gear in an going to a match. It has enough room that I could throw a dead deer in the back to take it to the check station and the rubberize floor would clean out easily. And yet four adults still fit in it comfortably. I am fairly sold that the Element fits my life style but now am looking for good review and opinions to make sure its actually a quality vehicle.

This is where the readers here come in. If you own a Honda Element or even have a friend that does I would love too hear your opinions of it. If I do get one it will be the EX, AWD, 5spd manual (atomic blue if you guys care). Any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mcb

We did the test drive thing with the Honda Element a while back.

To me it's a vehicle that seemed to make sense.

Reliability should be quite good. Gas mileage is so-so in my opinion, especially on the 4wd.The timing belt will need to be changed periodically - it's a belt not a chain.

The downside for me was the seats. The front seats were of a size that cut into my back on both sides just above the kidneys. The seats have side type supports and after a few minutes it just plain hurt to be in the seats. There must be some sort of nerve points in those areas because I felt sick for about an hour afterwards.

So, if the seats fit, I think it would be a good vehicle. Honda makes a good product.

I've got a buddy who's got an Element and we take it on road trips to matches quite a bit. It's surprising how much stuff you can fit in it and he loves the car/truck/SUV/whatever it is very much.

I know from my own experience in spending time in the back seat, that if you've got two big boys in the back, it's a pretty tight fit, but it's doable for the 2-2.5 hr road trips we take to uspsa matches around DFW. Both front seats are pretty comfy for what they are; I've had no problems comfort wise up front. A/C and heat work fine, no complaints there either. Fully loaded, there's not a lot of pickup but that's with 2 big fellas in the back and enough shooting gear to start a small south american war in the "trunk".

He has gone through front tires pretty quick, but he drives like a maniac too.... :lol:

Far as I know, he's had no reliability issues to speak of, and he's had it around 2 years or so.

I've sent this link to him so maybe he'll chime in???

The timing belt will need to be changed periodically - it's a belt not a chain.

Honda engines are typically interference designs which means that the pistons and cylinders occupy the same space, but are never in the same place at the same time (think about it - SANTA and SATAN are never seem in the same place either, and both wear black and red, but I digress). If the timing belt breaks on a non-interference engine, the engine harmlessly coasts to a stop. If the timing belt breaks on an interference engine, you hear all sorts of interesting noises as the pistons and valves collide.

This means that the timing belt scheduled maintenance is a "must", not an "I'll let it slide and get a tow from AAA if it breaks" sort of thing - and it can be expensive to replace a timing belt or chain (hundreds) even when done proactively.

You could shop around and get a LandRover Freelander for about the same price. They are bringing out a new model in the Autumn and so are selling off the old model at reduced prices.. You can get one for just under $20K (they were about $28-30K last year).

5od-4.jpg

A friend of mine got one of these almost 2 years ago now. When he first got it I was thinking to myselft "dude you've lost your mind". I thought it would be the smallest goofiest-looking vehicle I would ever ride in, but fortunately for him, I couldn't have been more wrong.

The Element would be what I would compare to the Glock of the SUV market. It's got everything, and more that most of the high dollar SUVs at half the cost. It is very "blocky" looking from the outside, but on the inside it's HUGE. As he is a heavy camper, they got the additional rear sunroof, which has a removable insert and a mesquito net that goes up to it. The rear seats fold FLAT for a bed in the back, or they can be folded up against the sides out of the way. With them out of the way there is room for an air matress in there.

As he travels A LOT, he's got over 75k on the Element in 2 years, without a problem. He and his wife have camped in the beach and in the mountains with it. They've carried a lot of camping gear, as well as SCUBA gear. They love their Element.

Oh, and his is the 5spd Manual with the EX engine, but not the EX package. He went for what he needed, not wanted. His is the "burnt" Orange color.

Edited by tomfturner

I owned an Honda Element for 2 1/2 years and I think this car is great. My husband and I use it to go to range. We usually carry a trolley with us (think of ammos for 2 people..). The trolley fits into the trunk very well without the need of taking out or raising up the back seats. Another good thing is when you shoot in rainy days with all the muds on your shoes, you can just step in the car and go because you can clean the car later (plus if you have a dog, you would appreciate this rubber floor design).

Every feature in the car I have used them. Not like those luxury cars which some features you may never use. Especially love the little trays at passenger side which you can put your wallet, glasses... and IPOD. They have aux input and power outlet right above the tray.

The downside of this car is not very good power. Mine is EX automatic (tried to search for Manual but no one had it at that time). And also, things are very easy slide around if you put on the floor. Other than that, I think this car is excellent for going to range.

Just clarify that I'm not Honda sales. This is purely my experience :D .

Lily

Honda Element - when they grow up they want to be Hummers... But I really like them. I want one and my wife thinks I'm crazy, but it would be like having a four cylinder Shooters Connection bag.

My experience with Hondas is that you can't go wrong with them. Not counting the XR75 I had when I as 14, I've owned 6 Hondas (Actually 5 Hondas and 1 Acura). True about the timing belt, but if you change it when you're supposed to, you'll be fine.

Flexmoney once told me what Tom just stated in his post; Elements are the Glocks of motor vehicles: Blocky, Reliable and Don't break the bank.

I even have a vanity plate suggestion for your Element, instead of a Hummvee it's a GLOCKVEE. ;)

I've always thought they are ugly, but they are growing on me. The funniest thing I've ever seen on a car was the rear of an Element. Under the "Element" badge the owner add a second badge in smaller size but the same font which read "Screw Aerodynamics". I chuckled for the rest of the day.

I'm 2 years into my Element and I LOVE it!

The perfect recreational car...I take the seats out or flip them up on the sides for my bicycles in the summer and snowboards in the winter...it carries tons of stuff and is the perfect match vehicle.

Two thumbs up with a big ole butt shake!

Michael B