Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Posted No Guns Allowed

Jamie McG

I am getting feed up with seeing a gun with a line through it, or the words no guns allowed at places I do bussiness with, my bank, wharehouse I buy supplies, a local aquarium. I would like to have a legal document to hand these places that state if you will not allow me to protect family you are soley responsible and will be held accountable by me if any harm comes our way. Generally this doesn't stop me unless they have metal detectors, however I am getting feed up with dealing with this asinine way of thinking.

take care Jamie.

They should make those cards for every state that has a concealed carry law in place.

The concept of "private postings" seems to be unique to states which enacted their carry laws fairly recently. Generally, these newer carry laws were enacted in the face of organized opposition, and a number of bones were thrown to the antis. The most common ones are a laundry list of no-gun zones [schools, churches, police stations, stadiums, places where admission is charged, places licensed to sell alcohol by the drink, etc.], and the ability of private businesses to make carry a crime by posting a sign.

Juristictions which have had CCW for many years don't have nonsense like granting private bsuiness the authority to make carry on the premises a crime (business have the right to order people to leave, but can't have them arrested for carry with a permit). Even anti gun places like MA and NY don't grant business this authority. You don't tend to see signs like this in states where there is no law granting them special standing.

The public in states with recent "carry for the masses" (TX, FL, AZ, OH, etc.) seem to be aware of the concept of "ordinary" people carrying and some businesses thing of this as a problem which must be addressed. States with old carry permit procedures don't seem to ahve this on the radar screen, have experienced many decades without undue incidents, and no one seems to worry about this issue.

I've never seen a "no gun in this business" sign in MA, NY or any of the New England states.

In TX, where we've had CHL for only ~10 years, at first the no-guns signs sprang up quite a bit, but with time and a favorable opinion from the Building Owners Association ("we think not-posting is slightly better for you liability-wise"). they've mostly faded away and been peeled off. With luck in another 10 years it'll be hard to find them even if you go looking. The requirements of the legal no-CHL sign are such that you really have to want to post it.

In Florida a business can post all the signage they wish but it doesn't hold water unless the location is covered under 790.06 paragraph 12.

Blockbuster has/had a "No Guns" policy and posted signs at all the stores around where I live. After a Father defending his Son shot two thugs in a blockbuster very close to where I live the signs started disappearing.

I will never again eat "Pizza Hut" pizza after that Corporation fired a delivery driver for carrying a firearm while working after he successfully defended himself during a robbery attempt.

What I hate is when you see a "No Concealed Guns" sign at a "Gun Shop". I once asked an Owner about this in referrence to concealed carry permits and he replied "Don't worry, we are armed and we'll take care of ya." Yeah, Right! "No you won't because I won't be back." Vote with your wallet.

There! It's fixed. Please do not modify my post. Thank you.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

What I really hate is when "Gun Stores" post "No loaded firearms allowed inside" signs. I asked a local Owner what that was all about once and he said "You don't need to worry. We are all carrying so we'll protect you if something happens." Yeah, Right. "No ya won't, because I will not be back." Vote with your wallet! Best way to get the message across.

I knew a gunshop that had that policy.... not "no guns", but just "no loaded guns".... they said they posted it after having an AD by a customer that almost shot someone, and having numerous guns for sale by customers being handed to them loaded..... many times after being informed it was empty <_<

Also customers get excited talking about guns, and whip out theirs to show someone something, forget to check clear, and accidents happen.

So not necessarily an "anti-gun" policy so much as a "please don't shoot me or my customers by accident" policy. They ignored cops or CCL holders who were responsible, pretty much; they were really more targeting a select group of idiot cusotmers.

The local indoor range has the obligatory "all guns must be unloaded" sign on the door, but they don't have the legal signage that prevents CHL carry on the door. So, a CHL holder is going to know they can carry concealed inside... Still, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, even if it's for a good reason...

I agree with you quick draw, if it's just a convience store or a wal mart, but these are business I have to deal with, besides what happens if we do nothing and all business adopt's this additude, or I could just move to Montana and live off the land. :D

I do like the Ohio card, but in handing them the card they might figure out your carrying. :ph34r:

I just dont see how we got to this point, where a legal law abiding person carrying a gun is unwelcomed, in my opnion it's telling the bad guys this is the place you want to stick up cause everyone abiding by the law is unarmed. :huh:

I got verbally assaulted for having a rifle not in a case."Brandishising!"

Walmart?

Publix?

Nope,a gun store/indoor range.

"Guns and knives"gets no more of my dollars.

All we have is our wallets,thats it.

I got plenty more places to go anyhoo,thank goodness.

I will never again eat "Pizza Hut" pizza after that Corporation fired a delivery driver for carrying a firearm while working after he successfully defended himself during a robbery attempt.

In that case, you will probably want to get a list of the Fortune 500 corporations and be sure y don't purchase products made by any of the as they virtually all have an "posession of a fire==instant termination" policy.

Who the hell totally re-wrote my post? I didn't type any of the stuff in red and someone removed the whole part about Blockbuster and gun shops. WTF :angry:

Has someone hi-jacked my account?

EDIT: Post repaired.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

The local indoor range has the obligatory "all guns must be unloaded" sign on the door, but they don't have the legal signage that prevents CHL carry on the door. So, a CHL holder is going to know they can carry concealed inside... Still, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, even if it's for a good reason...

True, but a CHL also knows better (I hope) than to pull it out to show them or offer to sell it when it's hot. He'll unload (I hope) in the car before going in if he's looking to sell or get it looked at. The average Joe isn't always that considerate.

In KY I just ignore the signs. Only recourse they have is that they can ask you to leave and thats if they see it. If they call the police and you dont leave then they can get you for trespassing but a sign has to be posted to even get that.

I do watch the no-go places though. Except the church one. Its allowed if the church allows it. One church some of my family attends has 30-40 members carrying at any given time. The other its usually just a couple of us but its allot smaller.

The Kentucky house just passed a bill that would prohibit the police from confiscating guns fromt he people in a disaster like New Orleans did. The leader of the movement was my own representative. A democrat at that. I will thank her when i see her next time. May even call her to thank her.

In KY I just ignore the signs. Only recourse they have is that they can ask you to leave and thats if they see it. If they call the police and you dont leave then they can get you for trespassing but a sign has to be posted to even get that.

I do watch the no-go places though. Except the church one. Its allowed if the church allows it. One church some of my family attends has 30-40 members carrying at any given time. The other its usually just a couple of us but its allot smaller.

The Kentucky house just passed a bill that would prohibit the police from confiscating guns fromt he people in a disaster like New Orleans did. The leader of the movement was my own representative. A democrat at that. I will thank her when i see her next time. May even call her to thank her.

It never ceases to amaze me when churchs are included in the CCW prohibited places list. Churches are all to frequently targets for violence and arson by all manner of crazies and zelots from other confessions. Our legislatures have taken a great step forward with CHL, but they still need to wise up a bit more.

In that case, you will probably want to get a list of the Fortune 500 corporations and be sure y don't purchase products made by any of the as they virtually all have an "posession of a fire==instant termination" policy.

Who the hell totally re-wrote my post? I didn't type any of the stuff in red and someone removed the whole part about Blockbuster and gun shops. WTF :angry:

Wouldn't know about that but just in case I'm not saying anything bad about Pizza Hut 'till this is cleared up!

I had a moderator edit My post once.

He sent me a PM and told me so.

Edited by Derek45

Heck, at any given time the Pastor at my church is probably armed. We have a lot of Cops, a couple of U.S. Marshalls, and a few ex-Military "Operator" types. I would bet that just about every pew has at least one gun in it during every service.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

That's a great card. I should make one of those for Michigan.

I have some of those printed on the front and back of regular business cards, remind me the next time you see me on the range. Did it with Print Master Gold.

EDIT: Post repaired.

Daniel, we've been trying to figure out what happened to your post. None of the moderators (so far) know anything about that. I looked through the moderator logs and didn't see where any action was taken. Drop me a PM and I'll see if I can figure it out for you. KF

I offer my apologies for the accidental and unintentional modification of a previous post by Bigbadaboom.

Brian enabled the "admin" role on my userid so I could help him with some forum/server issues and provide emergency backup as caretaker when he hits the road. I am not a forum moderator, but I help him with server issues from time to time. My role is limited to helping make sure the software is running and backed up on a regular basis.

It turns out that the input prompt on the "EDIT" feature is virtually identical to that on the "QUOTE" feature - and the "EDIT" button is enabled on all posts when you are configured as a board admin. Also, the buttons are right next to each other on the screen. It's obvious I was in "EDIT" mode when I thought I was in "REPLY" mode.

I didn't realize I was editing the original, and offer my apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

Rob

I offer my apologies for the accidental and unintentional modification of a previous post by Bigbadaboom.

It turns out that the input prompt on the "EDIT" feature is virtually identical to that on the "QUOTE" feature - and the "EDIT" button is enabled on all posts when you are configured as a board admin. Also, the buttons are right next to each other on the screen. It's obvious I was in "EDIT" mode when I thought I was in "REPLY" mode.

I didn't realize I was editing the original, and offer my apologies for the inconvenience this caused.

Rob

Reminds me of the time I accidentally whacked one of BE's posts with 'edit' instead of 'reply'. :o Thanks for fessing up.

Brian enabled the "admin" role on my userid so I could help him with some forum/server issues and provide emergency backup as caretaker when he hits the road. I am not a forum moderator, but I help him with server issues from time to time. My role is limited to helping make sure the software is running and backed up on a regular basis.

Rob

Is that an AD or an ND!?

Anyway, thanks for fessing up. OK to make and admit mistakes, not good to hide them. I was worried Homeland was after us, or worse we were going to be hijacked.