Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 rimfire ammo

BigDave

I am about to become the owner of a rather high end 10/22 rifle.  Does anyone recommend a perticular ammo for this rifle.  I know that, with most firearms, each is unique and each shoots a certain ammo better than others, but is there some consistantly quality 22 rimfire ammo out there.  The only "match" ammo I have experience is with Federal Gold Medal Match (I know there are few different types of this), but that was in S&W 41 and an Anshutz (sp?) single shot.  Any thoughts???

Big Dave... when we were shooting the STC here in Fla, had a chance to shoot 3 and talk to David Tubb, Plaxco, etc...most of them were shooting the Fiocchi rifle match.  We tried most everything from Eley, Fed Match , 900, 711, Green Tag and being in Sportsman's class decided to shoot the cheaper stuff and get a lot of practice in.  My M41 and STC rifle both liked Win SuperX (high velocity) and when I built the tuner for the barrel, it would consistently shoot 10 shot groups in an IPSC paster at 100y off a bench.  Double lugged barrel, cantilever scope mount, and home made tuner, dialed in the cheaper SuperX well.  The high velocity stuff had a little better knockdown of the targets, and really shoots well in the M41.  regards Les

10/22's are really picky.  You never know what it'll like until you try different ammo.  My 10/22T tuned by Connecticut Precision Chambering hates good ammo, I guess that's a good thing.  Winchester Dynapoints will generally do well in most 22's, but are only available from K-Mart.  As for my gun, the best groups I've shot are with the Dynapoints and Eley Club ammo (0.20" groups at 50 yards).    It hated the Eley Match ammo, along with Win Match, and Fed Gold Ultra Match.  For some unknow reason, most of the Match ammo shot 1.5-2" groups at 50 yards besides stovepiping a lot.  Winchester Power Point also shoots pretty well and has good knock down power especially against varmints.