Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
benos

Image Posting (uploading) Guidelines

Even though we're now on a big fat dedicated server, ;) it doesn't make sense to waste bandwidth...

So please, before uploading (attaching) images to a post:

• Set the image width so it's 600 pixels or less.

This also keeps the Forum from "blowing out" too wide on most Member's monitors.

Thank you,

Brian

------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by benos

For those of us who use IE in its various versions we may not realize that when we post large/high megapixel photos that some browsers do not automatically resize photos. For those who do not IE for a browser this makes it impossible to view the entire photo without using the slider bars to move the photo around within the window.

For those of us using Any of the later versions of Windows who wish to resize their digital photographs before posting them for Forum viewing here is a free Windows add on program.

Windows Power Toys

NOTE: Windows Power Toys is available for all versions of Windows.

If you will go to the above link and download the program..Image Resizer.. and run it/install it on you Windows XP computer it will enable you to resize large photos to a easily manageable and easily viewable size for Forum uploads. Once downloaded and installed it is a simple matter of Right Click on the photo in stored on/in your computer - Select Resize and then (my suggestion) select the 800 x 600 resize option. The photo is automatically resized and a copy is put in the same folder where the original is stored. This enables you to post your photos in a format that lets everyone view the entire photo without having to use slider bars to see the entire object - it cuts down on the space used by the BE Forums making it load quicker for all users and it also takes away some of the "pain" from viewing photos for those of us still cursed with a dial up Internet connection.

Try it - you'll like it.

Brian, you can have Rob or someone resize all the images curently on the server in one swift motion, I'm sure he understands how to use "convert", that will fix all the current images that are "blown Out" and huge as hell already.

this will work from the shell as well

mogrify -resize 640x480 *.jpg

note, they all wont come out to exactly 640x480 as ImageMagick will try to maintain aspect ration on each one. You can force it using ! after height/width dimensions but dont recommend it.

Edited by robomanusa

That's pretty cool - thanks Nick! I've typed a few things in root... so:

mogrify -resize 640x480 *.jpg

"mogrify"?

Thanks again,

be

yes

"mogrify" is the command to use, imagemagick must be installed on the server and you must be in the directory with all the images you want to resize.

*.jpg, *.JPG, *.png, *.PNG etc.. for the different image types

Hey Merlin Orr

Thanks for the great info on this website. Are there any tricks to make it work? I dl the file and installed it but can't get it to run. Any help is appreciated... : )

For those of us who use IE in its various versions we may not realize that when we post large/high megapixel photos that some browsers do not automatically resize photos. For those who do not IE for a browser this makes it impossible to view the entire photo without using the slider bars to move the photo around within the window.

For those of us using Any of the later versions of Windows who wish to resize their digital photographs before posting them for Forum viewing here is a free Windows add on program.

Windows Power Toys

NOTE: Windows Power Toys is available for all versions of Windows.

If you will go to the above link and download the program..Image Resizer.. and run it/install it on you Windows XP computer it will enable you to resize large photos to a easily manageable and easily viewable size for Forum uploads. Once downloaded and installed it is a simple matter of Right Click on the photo in stored on/in your computer - Select Resize and then (my suggestion) select the 800 x 600 resize option. The photo is automatically resized and a copy is put in the same folder where the original is stored. This enables you to post your photos in a format that lets everyone view the entire photo without having to use slider bars to see the entire object - it cuts down on the space used by the BE Forums making it load quicker for all users and it also takes away some of the "pain" from viewing photos for those of us still cursed with a dial up Internet connection.

Try it - you'll like it.

Lady Blue,

I'm not sure it "runs" as such. I did the same download and had a similar question for a long time, but I sort of stumbled on the answer. As I was working with some pics, I just right mouse button clicked a photo and saw a list of options. As I was looking at that list I saw an option labeled "Open With". I moved my mouse over that and another list showed up. In that list was a 'microscrooge' photo editor option. I clickd it, and was able to use it to resize, crop, and some other things.

I don't think there is a "run" aspect to it, or if there is, I don't know it.

For those using a Mac the process to change the size of an image is shown below.

Click on the image and open in Preview.

Select Tools

Select Adjust Size

Do one of the following:

Select Fit into: and select 640x480 from the drop down menu and click OK

or

Select the Width/Height/Pixels and set the Resolution to 72 DPI

Make sure that Scale Proportionally and Resample image are checked and click OK

Then Save As... to save as a new file.

The size of the file will be shown in this menu, so try to aim for less than 250kb so those using dial-up don't get hammered with long download times.

Here's a sample image down-sized to a reasonable size from a 1670x1250 image size

post-293-1246143941_thumb.jpg

Edited by BritinUSA

The forum sofware does not currently allow automatic re-sizing (to make them smaller) of UPLOADED pics. So please review the first post (and thread) before uploading pics.

Especially if you will upload pics in the Classified Forum. There are so many way-too-big pics in there - a pic size restriction may be coming soon for the Classifieds.

be

Could someone please post a good way to reduce an image file in Windows. If Windows doesn't have any program inherent, maybe post a easy to use, free download application.

be

Here's a way....Open the image with Paint....If your version of windows paint does not have a re-size button/tab, use the stretch/skew under the image tab to alter the pictures' size, then save to your desktop as a jpg. DO NOT SAVE AS A BMP, as they take up much more space. For example, when you use the stretch/skew buttons, it is usually set automatically to 100. Change the stretch to 50 in the horizontal and the vertical, then save as a JPG. Then upload....Ta Da!

Edited by benos
Changed "save as" to JPG

A member PM'd me as to how to post a pic... my reply:

Be sure you are logged in, then look at your Member Name (at the upper, right hand corner of the forums home page). Just below your Member Name, click "Help." When the help page loads, click the fifth topic down: "Posting," then scroll down to the Attachments" section for the relevant info.

be

How do you make your picture bigger? Mine is 1/3 smaller that others? Is that a posting count thing?

Wasn't sure where to post this, but how do I post an avatar pic? I've read the guidelines, sized it proper, deleted cookies, signed out and back in again, but to no avail. Any ideas? Thank you!

Wasn't sure where to post this, but how do I post an avatar pic? I've read the guidelines, sized it proper, deleted cookies, signed out and back in again, but to no avail. Any ideas? Thank you

I'm having the same problem.

I'm still looking for some help on uploading an avatar picture. Anyone know what else I could try? Thank you.

Can you attach the image you want to use as an avatar to a post, perhaps there is something screwy with the image, I can try it out and see if it works for me.

I'm still looking for some help on uploading an avatar picture. Anyone know what else I could try? Thank you.

Is it that you can't actually find where to upload it or you know where, but you can't get one uploaded?

To get to the right location: Go into your profile and your avatar picture (or lack there of) just hover the mouse over the picture. In the top left, a dark box with the word "change" in it should pop up. Click on that. I used a bigger picture and it was automatically just resized.

If you can't get one to actually upload, I'm not sure about that; maybe a profile issue a MOD could look at.

Is it that you can't actually find where to upload it or you know where, but you can't get one uploaded?

To get to the right location: Go into your profile and your avatar picture (or lack there of) just hover the mouse over the picture. In the top left, a dark box with the word "change" in it should pop up. Click on that. I used a bigger picture and it was automatically just resized.

If you can't get one to actually upload, I'm not sure about that; maybe a profile issue a MOD could look at.

I know how to upload (I think) but just cannot get it to work. I've tried multiple files, from multiple computers and mobile and it just won't work. I select "browse" under upload from file, select the file, the filename appears in the box but the photo never shows up. I have also tried to import from url but still get the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.