Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got The Acog :)

Shooter Grrl

I've only looked through these things, never fired a rifle with one. I'm getting ready to hit the range this afternoon to zero this sucker and shoot it awhile... what problems have you guys run into, any tips, hints, tricks?

I read all the stuff on zero/holdover and only understood about every third word ("the" "sight"!) - can someone give me plain english grrl type instructions :P

Assuming a TA11 or TA31 (I had a TA11) I zeroed mine at 50 yards. If you have the donut reticle, use the top of the reticle as your poa at 50 yards. The donut reicle is 4 moa (minute of angle) which basically means the donut or recticle will cover 4" at 100 yards, 8" at 200 yards, and 12" at 300 yards. I was pretty much poa/poi from 50-200 yards using the top of the donut. Inside of 50 yards the bullet will hit low because the bullet is still climbing to meet your line of sight (reticle). At 300 yards your bullet will generally drop about 8". So you can either put the top of the donut on the neck for an A zone hit or you can shoot poa/poi using the bottom edge of the inside of the donut reticle. The above is a general rule of thumb and depends on your ammo, barrel length, etc. Hope this helps.

Nick-

With 55 gr factory, zero the scope so the top of the doughnut is the 100 yard zero. This will make the middle 200 and the bottom 300. Confirm these out as far as you can shoot. Get it zeroed and start shooting. Spend alot of time on the close stuff, as learning the bindon trick takes a little practice for most shooters. If you spend the time to learn the sight nothing else will even come close. For help in learning the close stuff, focus on the target and raise your head slightly until the scope is blacked out but you can still see the doughnut, do this while looking at the target and you will see what I mean, it becomes just like a dot. It will take some time to get it figured out and consistant so practice hard and you will be very happy with your purchase.

I recently zero'd my TA-11 on a 20" JP top end according to the instruction book. Wow.

Wish I had read the manual years ago... :D

I agree with the BAC as a dot for close stuff. Just sort of looking over and past the scope and focusing both eyes open on the target works for me.

I think you'll really like the ACOG...

Kat,

Basically the same as everyone is saying. Center of the donut = 200 yards. Top of donut = 100 yards. Bottom of donut = 300 yards. Now, that's about what they equal, but if you hold there, you'll hit it.

I'm running a TA-01NSN now, with a JPoint on top, but will be adding another TA-11 to the stable soon.

Take care and can't wait to see y'all soon. I'll be at Fort Rucker, Alabama in about 5 months.

Later,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Another good trick to learn the close stuff is to cover the front of the ACOG with a scope cover or just some paper taped on. Assuming you shoot right handed, look at the reticle with your right eye while the left looks at the target. This takes away the magnification. Its harder to explain than to do, just give it a try.

3gunr

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a Ta-11. Never understood the covered scope thing untill just now. That is some kind of VODOO. I am scanning thru my basement right know seeing things thru a covered scope. maybe its the wild turkey.....Don't worry TA-11 is off of my AR.

GIO