Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Do You Practice?

Eager

• 2 weeks later...

Practice? Practice?

That's why I started shooting USPSA matches, I needed practice. Now you want me to practice for my Practice?

These days, the only time I get to the range outside of match day is to do function and chrono checks. On the rare occasions I find myself at the range to "practice", I hardly know what to do with myself. :mellow:

I'm sure if I was more serious I would be, well, more serious, but when you can shoot a match (or three) every weekend, it's hard to take time off from shooting to go, um, shooting. ;)

How will I ever improve at this rate?? :P

I gotta buy one'a those "house with range" deals someday. :lol:

The thought of dry-fire-only leaves me dry. I don't think I'll go there, ....yet.

I would like to practice at least a lot of mag changes in the garage. I'm always afraid the wife or kids will open the door and "catch" me "playing" with my gun.

I belong to a private range less than ten minutes from my home. One bay is full of steel: two plate racks, a Texas Star, two steel IPSC targets, three 10-inch fixed plates and a dueling tree. It would be perfect if they didn't make me bring my own paint! ;)

On that bay, you can draw, run and fire to your heart's content after taking the NRA RSO course. I can set up as many IPSC targets as I like as long as I clean up and police my brass. If I go early in the morning, I am almost always the only one there. If not, I can work on my 25-yard shots using the steel. Trust me, I need to work on those more.

There are about a half-dozen of us that shoot USPSA who belong to this range. Unfortunately, it is too small to easily hold matches so I have to drive to matches about 90 minutes away. However, I am definitely not complaining since I have it so good for practice.

The one down side to this is that I don't dry fire nearly often enough. It is just too tempting to practice under "real" conditions.

Edited by XD Niner

I would like to practice at least a lot of mag changes in the garage. I'm always afraid the wife or kids will open the door and "catch" me "playing" with my gun.

:lol::lol: I know the feeling. Decked out, holstered & mag pouches full. Door cracks open.. "what are you doing".. uh, er, Dry Fire? :blink:

She'll get used to it.. won't she? :unsure:

I feel obliged to mention that in the early stages of your devlopment, dry fire is much more important than live fire. The ratio should be about 80% - 20%.

Great news for my wallet. Thanks!

:lol::lol: I know the feeling. Decked out, holstered & mag pouches full. Door cracks open.. "what are you doing".. uh, er, Dry Fire? :blink:

lol, one time I was dry fire practicing in the morning before some of my wife's friends came over. I was in a hurry to finish up and put my stuff away before they got there but left like 6 reduced targets taped to the walls around the house.

"What are these for?"

"Oh, my husbands been practicing his shooting?"

"Oh, whats he shooting them with? "

"Nothing!"

I try to explain what dryfire is but still get the blank stares...head down as I quetly sneek into the garage to finish my session! lol

Edited by ArnisAndyz

I practice at the same range we use for our matches and I have access to everything, poppers, targets, walls, barricades, plate rack, swingers, drop turners, you name it.

I have always known the value of dry firing, but I spend about 80 per cent of my practice in live fire and maybe 20 per cent in dry fire. I really like to shoot and I don't mind the expense (I am broke anyway). All of that live fire over the last 30 years is really taking its toll in terms of recoil and repetitive motion injuries. Another good reason to spend more time dry firing.

I have had a couple of pretty decent shooters tell me the better you get, the less time you need to spend on the trigger because the name of the game becomes movement. They also tell me movement is the first skill to degrade and things like the draw, transitions, etc. come back (after a layoff) a lot faster than one would think.

If I'm sitting around the house about 7:00-8:00 pm and I don't have my rig on my wife will sometimes ask "Aren't you going to dry-fire tonight?"

I love her so much!! :wub:

Nothing better than a good woman that understands you.. ;) After being together 13 years, mine is at least starting to get used to some of the off the wall things I do. It may be more acceptance than understanding though.. :P She hasn't even said anything about the slew of target stand bases i've been building over the last few evenings.. B)

By the way, relavent to where I practice. My shooting range is down by the creek in the pasture behind my house.. I'd say right now I'm doing 60/40 on the dry fire/live fire mainly working on sight picture, transitions, & reloading..

Law Enforcement range. Fixed target stands on the north end, with a 25 yard line and a 50 yard line. With stakes in the ground to mark the 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15.

So I built my own stands and barricades for more variety. Just have to load up the F150 and go shoot. I have a key and go about once a week, can do pretty much what I want. Good thing to be the instructor for the department.

Brkgsrange.JPG

This is the range I shoot rifle and shoot matches at. It is in Sioux Falls, and is about an hour drive.

sfrange.jpg

Images taken from Google Maps. It's not for commercial use so it's okay. (I think)

Jon

Edited by zen_grasshopper

• 7 months later...

Dryfire at home and live about 1.5 miles from my "home range" where I livefire several times a week in the warmer months. There I shoot groups, steel drills, movement drills, transition drills, speed drills and chronograph. This time of year I am tied down to dryfiring in my garage. <_< I would love to have my own range behind my house though! :wub:

Edited by Rocket35

Be it ever so humble..... There is nothing like having your own.

post-2898-1144466036.jpg

Too true!

I practice here: www.shootersparadise.com

Its rifle/pistol/shotgun indoor range w/ a pro shop that was once owned by GM Phil Strader. Draw allowed and there is a USPSA program that I used to run prior to 06. Also an active ICORE, IDPA and 3gun programs so the managers/staff treat the competition community VERY well (since they are part of that community!). Weekly CCW courses. And in the past there have been RO/CRO classes in addition to an IDPA S.O. class and a competition beginer's class. Overall, it has a lot of benefits and very few, if any, drawbacks (other than not being in my back yard & sitting on 50+ acres of my own. Someday . . )

D.

Huh, Here's where I go...it's 20 min from home and I can shoot 6 days a week from 9:00am to dusk.

overheaddsc_6515-r.jpg

Range on the far left is a PPC range, next to it are the two IPSC bays, then the next range has 25, 100, and 50m bays in it followed by the chrono/side event bay, another 100m bay, behind it you can see the indoor range (25m) and the trap field is off to the right.

We've hosted the Nationals and a few provingcials and other Level III matches.

Today it was cold and snow covered but I managed to get some good group shooting done :D

I am on the board of the local conservation club and I practice there. We have three pistol bays. One 25 yards deep with a covered shooting line and two without a covered line that are 35 yards deep. We allow draws, reloads, etc. We also have a 125 yard rifle range and an area for shotgunners. As has been said before be it ever so humble theres no place like some place close. (20 minutes from the house.)