Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Ever Run There Ar Without The Buffer Retainer Pin/spring?

ArnisAndyz

I don't use one in my rifles that have an scs, but do in everything else. The buffer should not hit the pin if everything is fit right. If it does, you have other problems.

That said, you can absolutely run it without a pin without any detriment to function. Just remember it doesn't have one when you take it apart! I actually managed to destroy a trigger in my PCC when I forgot and half a pound of steel shot into the back of my hammer. I've since put the pin back in, even if it is more of a pain to take the buffer in and out.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2006 at 4:31 PM, SinistralRifleman said:

Removing it will eliminate the possiblity of breakage, and puts constant positive forward pressure on the bolt carrier, also theoretically making the rifle more reliable.

The constant forward pressure smooths out buffer cycling...  no gap...  Has to eliminate some of the shock when using a Blitzkrieg fluid buffer...  Should help eliminate the buffer head breaking off or coming loose.

I've had a well used Palmetto State A2 rifle lower lock up 3 times and not be able to cycle. After I got it apart, the buffer retaining pin had stopped retaining the buffer. The stock screw to tighten it had worked loose. I always thought that pin had to be there. I'll have to take another look at this one and see exactly what was causing the stoppage. It wasn't an immediate action type of stoppage, it was a broken gun type of stoppage. Interesting, I'll revisit that one.

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2006 at 5:19 PM, ArnisAndyz said:

Anybody ever run there AR without the buffer retainer pin/spring?

I took off the stock on my AR and my retainer pin and spring ended up lost on my garage floor. After looking for serveral hours I gave up and assembled the rifle without the pin/spring (the buffer is held in by the rear of the carrier). Everything seems to function fine. Is it OK to run like this for a while until I get some new parts (or find the ones on the floor)? I heard some reports of the Pin breaking and locking up the rifle by lodging in the carrier or buffer - seems like this pretty much eliminates that from happening, on the remote chance it does.

It would be a pain for someone that field-strips thier gun alot , but being a recreational shooter, the only time I really ever break it open is after a match for detailed cleaning.

The only reason it is there was for military to be able to feild strip the original Ar’s m4’s etc faster, it’s not needed and I am a firm believer if you don’t need it and that goes for anything Ar’s-cars it’s just something else that could break 

22 years in the army around thousands of M16's including running a rifle range daily for 8 months, and NEVER heard of this being a problem. Granted I know alot of those rifles probably only got 40 rounds a year for qualifications, but some we shot the snot out of and had been around for decades.  In 2007 I was running guys with triangle handguard A-1's.

Is this one of those problems caused by tweaking and using non milspec parts ? Light buffers, bolts, etc ?