Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Reduction

galt11

I have a Rem 1100 I am using for Skeet and trap shooting. I would like to do something to reduce the felt recoil without doing something permanent to the gun. After about 100 rounds of 12 gauge target loads, my shoulder is shot. Please give me any suggestions and places to buy any products.

Adam

Depends on what you mean by "shot"; a little tender or really hurts?

I've shot enough 12 gauge loads to destroy brain cells, but if I haven't shot in a while, my shoulder will still get a little tender the first few times I shoot, and then no problems.

Regardless, your shooting one of the softess 12 gauges available, which is good. If you don't have a recoil pad on it, you need one. And it needs to fit your shoulder pocket fairly well. Meaning, as much full contact of the pad against the entire length of the shoulder pocket. Make sure the "heel", top of the pad, and the "toe', bottom of the pad, aren't digging into your shoulder concentrating the recoil impulse into a small surface area.

That applies to where you mount the gun also. Mount too high and only 1/2 the recoil pad is on your shoulder. Mount too far out and you are shooting on part of your bicep, shoulder joint, etc.

That said, reducing the shot weight and reducing the speed of the shell will reduce recoil the most and quickly. If you are shooting 1 1/8 oz, go to 1 oz.

Reduce the speed of the shells. They make low velocity, extra lite, shells for example.

If you reload, a 1 oz load at 1150-1200 FPS would be very low recoil and your scores won't suffer.

You can add weight to the gun, but that can be awkward on balance, etc.

There are "recoil reduction" devices that can help, but they are expensive and usually done on O/U's sinced they are fixed breech. They have piston operated recoil pads and stocks that "move", which lengthen the recoil impulse to make it less of a "whack". But, your 1100 already does that.

Just some thoughts. ;)

Edited by Irishlad

I would suggest replacing your recoil pad with a sorbothane pad first. Do not use the Winchester reduced recoil 12Ga with the Remington as there is not enough gas to work the action after the gun gets dirty. Been there, done that, in 12Ga doubles.

For skeet the 1 oz loads would be fine as several people I shoot regestered targets use their 20Ga in the 12 Ga events.

For 16 yard trap the 1 oz load is enough but iffy at 27 yards, there you might want to try one of the mercury reducers that fit inside the shell tube.

If your gun will cycle with a 2 3/4dr.eq., 1oz. load, use them.

If you don't mind a little more weight, there are all sorts of cheap things you can do.

The hole in the buttstock and the front of the mag tube will hold all sorts of country-style remedies.

A friend of mine slipped two rolls of nickels in the front of his 870 magazine tube. They've been there for years and he shoots great.

If you get a pad, get a soft one. These are the softest made, I think: http://www.trapdude.com

Edited by JD45

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the the recoil pad and the different loads. I think the biggest problem is the gun not fitting me correctly and therefore me having to hold it in an awkward position.

Adam

• 6 months later...
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the the recoil pad and the different loads. I think the biggest problem is the gun not fitting me correctly and therefore me having to hold it in an awkward position.

Adam

Your right about that... have the gun fit and you will see a huge reduction in felt recoil.

I'm 5'7" and I never liked shooting a shotgun until I started shooting 3-gun. I bought an 11-87 and thanks to some good mentors I shortened the stock. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I love shooting this shotgun. I'm not saying that there is anything particularly good about this particular shotgun, but the fact that it fits me makes it a pleasure to shoot. No more sore shoulders or sore face. My check would be sore after 25 rounds before shortening the stock. It is really a pleasure to shoot.

+1 on the fit. Another trick we used to do is get the lead squares that have the tape on one side and tape a few in front of the magazine on the underside of the barrel. It is amazing what 8 ounces does to recoil. The other reason folks use longer barrels is for exactly that, weight increase equals recoil decrease. Give it a try after you get the stock fit.

The last trick is to have the gunsmith cut the stock at about 5 degrees reverse, which means the top line of the stock is a little longer then the bottom. You can't really see it, but the recoil is directed more along the centerline and the muzzle flips less.

Mike

Edited by mike_pinto

Regarding this comment:

"That said, reducing the shot weight and reducing the speed of the shell will reduce recoil the most and quickly. If you are shooting 1 1/8 oz, go to 1 oz.

Reduce the speed of the shells. They make low velocity, extra lite, shells for example.

If you reload, a 1 oz load at 1150-1200 FPS would be very low recoil and your scores won't suffer."

--------------------------------

I have a similar problem and am reloading. I was wondering if certain powders, (perhaps if they are not especially fast burners?) might give a reduction (albeit small) in recoil and/or perceived recoil?

Any suggestions on what powders to use for a 1 oz load to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by thefish