Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quicktime

Flexmoney

Everybody bitches about my Uncle Bill and his software company. ;)

I just wanted to return the favor.

I hate f*#king Quick Time. Every instance that I install it, it wants to take over and run every file extension that it can get it's hands on. It's a struggle to get it turned off. And, it usually doesn't work anyway.

I think I finally got it all turned off. We'll see. If not, I'll just have to remove it and not get to watch Burkett's IPOD Cast coverage of matches (or, whatever it's called).

It's been about 10 minutes...thought I would post that I still hate it. :)

Hmmm... That was my experience with big brothers media thing.

Quicktime worked better, and I preferred it to handle all it could. Bill's bad idea would not accept that.

Goodbye Bill.

I don't miss you.

Lets not have an argument. I can't speak for flex, but what I hate, is the inability to choose how I want the programs to cooperate.

Edited by wide45

• 4 weeks later...

Windows Media may be a more prevalent format, but it is not a better quality video format ;-)

I think it's hilarious that an Apple application is being accused of being agressive about it's install proclivities on a Windows system.

Personally, I think it's about time Apple started writing installer's that act like MS's do when they run on other systems ;-0

Windows Media may be a more prevalent format, but it is not a better quality video format ;-)

Yeah, right. Next you are going to tell me Beta was better than VHS, and 8-track had better sound than cassette?!?! :D:P:D

Well... Beta actually was a technically superior format that delivered higher resolution video and better audio quality. It only died due to marketing issues in the consumer segment. It went on to become the professional tape format of choice (as BetaCam at a higher tape speed) right through the late 90's when DVCAM took hold (another Sony developed format). It is still in use today as a cost effective format for a lot of studios and TV stations.

The Windows Media Codec is just not as capable as the QT codec for storing broadcast resolution footage, especially when it comes to HD content at real HD resolutions. QT is the native DV format Final Cut Pro uses. No HD capable editing software uses the WM codec even on the Wintel platform. AVI, yes WM, no!

Oh BTW, the real truth on Cassette vs. 8 track is that the 8 track had a higher tape speed and a larger track width on a wider piece of tape. Any audiophile with mag tape recording experience knows this provides better magnetic flux density levels on the tape and this provides wider dynamic range and better frequency response. The size of the tape cart and the clunkiness of the head switching mechanism is what led to cassette taking over, not an increase in fidelity. This was an interesting instance of a "lo-fi" product taking hold because of convenience and ease of manufacture compared to a previous "hi-fi" product. Doldy noise reduction was only needed because of audio cassete's extremely low signal to noise ratio. The 1/4 tape in 8-tracks delivered twice the S/N ratio and huge bass in comparison to cassette. Audio quality in the car died again until the advent of the CD.

Historical Consumer Report: I recall the huge pile of 8-tracks (and player) we had in the pickup at the time was really quite decent-sounding and we never did appreciate the tape-hiss of cassettes... and only reluctantly switched 'for convenience' eventually.

I brought home a vintage-1970s portable 8-track player to sell on eBay last month (it sold immediately, and for good money, too!) and dragged a few 8-track tapes home to test it, etc. Jeez, it sounded astoundingly good! :blink: I was stunned.

Everybody bitches about my Uncle Bill and his software company. ;)

I just wanted to return the favor.

I hate f*#king Quick Time. Every instance that I install it, it wants to take over and run every file extension that it can get it's hands on. It's a struggle to get it turned off. And, it usually doesn't work anyway.

I think I finally got it all turned off. We'll see. If not, I'll just have to remove it and not get to watch Burkett's IPOD Cast coverage of matches (or, whatever it's called).

runs great, as always, on a mac (flamesuit on)...

It's been about 10 minutes...thought I would post that I still hate it. :)