Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Laptop For $1000?

Steve Anderson

My boss is allowing me to spend around 1,000 on a new laptop to replace my aging, slow Dell inspiron 2500. (maxed out memory and new hard drive)

I'm leaning to Dell, and they have a lot of great deals on notebooks right now.

Does anyone have any advice for a great notebook for a grand?

I need:

Speed, speed and more speed

Ability to handle large spreadsheets in conjunction with other open programs

Maximium wireless network speed and reliability

Fairly light weight

I'm not real concerned with screen size, I don't play video games, but I will be doing some video editing.

Any thoughts?

SA

Steve,

check out Dell's Outlet Site HERE. (www.delloutlet.com, if the link doesn't work.)

I saved about $500 going refurbished on a XPS M140. They offer three different grades of computer: Never booted, refurbished, and Scratch & Dent. After you select a machine, you have the option of adding warranty support.....

My next notebook is going to be the itty bitty dell 710m :)

Any of the Dell notebooks will work for what you need - I would suggest using the outlet as Nik said and get the most RAM and storage space that you can buy!

I really, really wanted one of those ---- but lack of a 7200RPM Hard drive and something else I can't remember got me off of them.....

Of course I was looking at outlet computers exclusively, so I was looking mostly at 700ms....

Happy, happy, happy with XPS M140 --- great battery life, good screen, fast, and about 3 lbs. lighter than the 8100.....

Steve, ifn' ya' gotta' go PC, then definitely the Dell. Just put a client who runs an all Mac office into a Dell laptop for connecting to an Outlook Exchange Server and he is happy and I didn't find it to be that much of a dog compared to most cheap PC notebooks.

My druthers would be a Mac of course, but if it had to be PC, it would be a Vaio, or an IBM for my own use. But that ain't gonna fit a 1k budget like a Dell notebook will ;-)