Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Observations on sights from the Mystery Moutain 3 gun

kellyn

At the Myst. Mtn 3 gun I took time to observe what the big dogs were using for sights on their rifles

Mike Voigt (who won open class):  mid range variable, I

think it was a Bausch and Lomb

Jake Kempton (who smoked the long range course):

Leupold 3-9X as main sight,  Aimpoint as secondary

close range sight

Jerry Miculek (who is Jerry Miculek):  US optics 1-4X

Don Bendnorz (2d place open):  CMore 1-5X        

(whichI have no idea how to obtain)  

Matt Burkett:  ACOG w/ CMore as a secondary close

range sight

Bruce Piatt:  midrange variable

Todd Salmon: JP rifle w/ Lyman match rear sight and

crosshair front sight (tactical iron)

Tony Holmes:  low powered Leupold variable

Tim Milkovich:  ACOG w/ chevron reticle (in tactical scope)

Bennie Cooley: just like the front sight article:  .035 front sight and a merchant insert rear sight

ACOGs dominated tactical scope class while low to mid-powered variables dominated open class.

The rifle targets included Larue self-restting steel targets (150 to 340 meters), MGM flash targets (100 to 150 meters) and paper IPSC targets at 0 to 75 yards.

I came in 10th in tactical class - my worst finish in 4 years :-(

I was shooting an ACOG 3.5X35 in tactical scope class with the BAC reticle: red donut ( for 0 to 300 yards) above graduated cross-hairs (400 to 800 yards).  Probably the best scope for tactical class (or maybe a US Optics)  but hard to shoot on the run-n-gun close targets!

kellyn, I have run the TA-11 w/the donut for a while and I felt the same way about the close shots,they killed me. I'm going to try the Leupold CQT (if it ever gets here).

Are the Larue targets the battery operated jobbies? I'm not fimiliar with them. How big (or small) are they?

I really wanted to make the match but you can't do them all.

Steve

The wave of the future for shotguns seems to be the optima.  Don Bendnorz, Tony Holmes and Mike Voight were using optimas.  Optimas are so small that they are hardly higher than the shotgun bead so the shooter can have a normal cheek weld on the shotgun.  

Miculek had a Holosight but his shotgun had an extended and raised cheekpiece so he could get a proper cheekweld.  I thing his shotgun it had a remington trap stock.

Some had aimpoints as well (Jake Kempton in particular).  I don't think anyone on the super squad used a CMore.  CMores are the highest of the dots and really require the shooter to raise his head off the stock.

Doesn't look like too many using the Leupold CQT yet, I understand its SOF legal now?

Some have proposed covering ACOG objective for close in shots, using it like the old Armson OEG, but I haven't tried it or seen it done much.

The TA11 with red or amber donut is tough to beat for general tactical use, we'll see how the CQT does. Not a lot of competition in the variable tactical dot scope arena if it works.

for 4x32 ACOG users....I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but will pass it on anyway... the 600m DARK vertical line is point of aim inside 25m.  I picked up my ACOG second hand and didnt get no stinking instructions, had to be told by a friend in the 82ndABN.  For the shorter ranges( 200m max) we shoot here in Fla, the Holo is working out really well... regards