Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accelerator

warpspeed

FWIW, I'll be including the new Accelerator stage at the ALSPPC Steel Challenge match later this month on 23 April 2006 in Austin, TX.

Heh heh... guess I don't have to find a volunteer to MD, now :D

FWIW, I'll be including the new Accelerator stage at the ALSPPC Steel Challenge match later this month on 23 April 2006 in Austin, TX.

Heh heh... guess I don't have to find a volunteer to MD, now :D

Didn't I volunteer at the post-match meeting last Saturday? :unsure:

-Chet

Didn't I volunteer at the post-match meeting last Saturday? :unsure:

No... you volunteered for the IPSC match the following week :lol: But, since you're now on the hook.... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got to set this up today, tried it 5,4,1,2,Stop a bunch of times but settled on 1,2,4,5,Stop. the times did not differ too much i just felt more comfortable with the second order.

Kinda reminds me of roundabout and showdown, i also sweep left to right. Might not be the fastest way but i feel safer.

Reliable times were in the 2.8 range with a bunch of 2.5's thrown in.

James

I finally got a chance to try this at the ALSPPC steel match.

First I tried Left-to-Right. 3.1-ish .. didn't feel great.

Then I tried 4,5,1,2,S. 3.2. eek.. going backwards... thinking 'how are these guys running this in 2.5??'

Then I tried 1,2,5,4,S. 2.7. Now we're getting somewhere. Shot the next two strings like that.. 2.6 and 2.7.

You've gotta really be sure you hit 4 on the way to the stop plate, so I'm going to try a bunch of other orders as well, but the gong-gong transition was the best of the 3 I tried.

Shot a match PB of 9.37 on S&H today too.. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Shot it for the first time today.

Going left to right, I kept missing the stop plate, shooting early in the sweep back from #4 (the right rectangle).

Going right to left was much better. 2.87 runs from 1.07 draws, Limited Major.

Just fooling around, shooting #2 (left rectangle) first gave a smoking draw time but it was hard to transition from #1 to #3 and time suffered.

P.S. I guess there's no standard for numbering the plates. I am numbering them left to right, 1-4, skipping the stop plate.

By your numbering, Erik, the order we ended up liking best, so far, is 1-2-4-3-S. You get a quick draw onto the short plate, a lightning transition to the close gong, and quick snap to the far gong, pick up the long plate patiently, and then snap to the stop. Shred is spot on about needing to really call the 3 plate that way, though. It seemed to optimize target size for the index going to it, anyway... I can't recall playing with it pure right to left - maybe we'll give that a whirl this weekend....

Set this up in our local steel match last Tuesday.

I think I've settled on 2, 1, 5, 4, S. It actually worked pretty good. Average was a 2.7. Think I could easily get an average of 2.4 or 2.5 with a little practice.

The danger plate is the #1 plate. You want to get off of it real fast to transition all the way to the other side of the stage.

Hello everyone, Im new posting here but have been reading for a while. Last weekend I shot this stage for the first time and had a couple good runs with the 1-2-5-4-S. One guy did it a little different but he rules so it does not matter how he does it, he always wins.

\

James

Set this up in our local steel match last Tuesday.

I think I've settled on 2, 1, 5, 4, S. It actually worked pretty good. Average was a 2.7. Think I could easily get an average of 2.4 or 2.5 with a little practice.

The danger plate is the #1 plate. You want to get off of it real fast to transition all the way to the other side of the stage.

Take this for what it's worth, this order scares me because there's 2 potential spots where i could get into trouble, plate 1 ( as you pointed out) and 4. After shooting the big plate 5 i would have too much of a tendancy to sweep too fast to the stop plate.

Obviously if you miss plates the best order in the world won't save your ass anyway so maybe it dosen't matter that much.

For the same reason i dont shoot roundabout and showdown 1,2,5,4,S even though it has shown to be a little bit faster.

James,

Coming from a Steel pro...your words carrying a lot of weight with me.

What is the potential difference from running a "safer" plan...that might be a bit slower...versus running a faster plan? Final time wise (per stage?)

I know shred likes to say that every miss costs a place in the finals at the SC...does he mean a 3sec miss of a make-up shot?

(Jake has a chance to shoot SC weekly now...that has got to be great.)

James,

What is the potential difference from running a "safer" plan...that might be a bit slower...versus running a faster plan? Final time wise (per stage?)

I know shred likes to say that every miss costs a place in the finals at the SC...does he mean a 3sec miss of a make-up shot?

Don't give me too much credit, my limited time was actally better than my open time last year, and i stink with iron sights :P

The most obvious examples for me are roundabout and showdown as they are shot similarly. When i was doing a lot of side by side comparison a number of years back it seemed i was .05 to .08 faster shooting it 1,2,4,3,S as opposed to 1,2,3,4,S.

Might not seem like much of a difference but it adds up, the disaster factor is a lot bigger though. Pick your poison.

Come to think of it, speed option has the same kinda trap, faster way seems to be 5,4,1,3,S and safer is 5,4,3,1,S.

Shred is right, the overall standings can get pretty stacked up in certain spots, so one makeup shot could easily cost you a spot.

Jake, you should make it down to piru this year, the way you shoot you'll scare the pants off of a bunch of people ( including me :) )

James,

Check out the final SC scores. A whole lot of places are separated by .2 to .3 seconds-- that's less than one extra makeup shot.

Max talks about how makeup shots cost him $25K last year..

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
where is brian mr enos when you need him....calling brian to the rescue? how will he shoot this? hope he answers. so far all his tips worked on my shooting.

i agree on 2154s works for me....

Well thank you, but don't believe anything I say because I've never shot the stage. Having said that, after dry-firing it on the big picture on my flat screen monitor, I'd probably shoot it 1,2,3,4,S. But I'd also experiment with 1,2,4,3,S. I think I'd shoot it more consistently the first way, if, I hit the stop plate with the first shot every time, which would be the most difficult transition for that order. Not to mention that it's easy to "rush-shoot" the stop plate as a general rule. (Which cost me the match one year... lost by .3 seconds... last shot of the match was a .6 recovery shot on the stop plate. That still stings a bit.)

By shooting 1,2 instead of 2,1... I know I'd start the stage more behind the gun, and would shoot more consistently overall because of that. It would be real easy for me to come cranking out and sling a hit on 2, then maybe get a lucky hit on 1, and then go steadily downhill after that.

On first impression I like 1,2,3,4,S because, except for the Stop, the transitions are easy visually. And in addition, if you happen to miss 3, you have a chance to tap it again on the way back to the Stop. ;)

Shooting 1,2,3,4,S, a critical part of my plan would be an extra dose of visual patience on the Stop.

be

• 16 years later...