Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comps Are Bad For The G34?

tank69

I’m at the local gun show and decide to finish off my G34 Open project by purchasing a few things from Glockmeister. I give the owner my list and he tells me that he doesn’t carry the KKM Compensated Barrel for the G34. I’m like, can I come by your store and get one? Nope, the make the gun un-reliable and since it reduces recoil so much, it doesn’t cycle the slide 100% of the time. I can understand that to a point, maybe shooting factory ammo, but I plan on reloading for major PF. Heck, i've seen more S_I guns become "unreliable" than I have Glocks. I tell him my intentions and continues to tell me it’s not a good idea, only for the G35 does he carry the KKM comp barrel in stock. I’m no expert and I bought the rest of my stuff and said thanks knowing this guy knows more than I have forgotten. I figure I’d come home and post this question on the boards and mail order my barrel/comp combo. So has anyone had any problem with cycling issues on their G34 with KKM Comp barrel?

Most people (excluding myself, I don't own a G34 yet) simply change the recoil spring to a lighter spring. Buy a un-captured guide rod with a couple different # springs and try them out. If you are going to shoot Major 9, you may have to go up in poundage on the spring.

Also, do a search on Major 9 in Glocks here on the forum, Lots & Lots of useful info.

GlockSpeed31

I’m at the local gun show and decide to finish off my G34 Open project by purchasing a few things from Glockmeister. I give the owner my list and he tells me that he doesn’t carry the KKM Compensated Barrel for the G34. I’m like, can I come by your store and get one? Nope, the make the gun un-reliable and since it reduces recoil so much, it doesn’t cycle the slide 100% of the time. I can understand that to a point, maybe shooting factory ammo, but I plan on reloading for major PF. Heck, i've seen more S_I guns become "unreliable" than I have Glocks. I tell him my intentions and continues to tell me it’s not a good idea, only for the G35 does he carry the KKM comp barrel in stock. I’m no expert and I bought the rest of my stuff and said thanks knowing this guy knows more than I have forgotten. I figure I’d come home and post this question on the boards and mail order my barrel/comp combo. So has anyone had any problem with cycling issues on their G34 with KKM Comp barrel?

Tank,

the guy was right for all the wrong reasons. I would not build or recomend building a 34 open gun . I built several in my earliest days and found that the slides on the34 are much weaker than the slides on the 17.the main reason is weight. The 34 has to weigh the same as the 17 so that glocks formula for the 9mm stays constant. The places that the factory has taken the weight from leaves these slides prone to crack across the locking surface when subjected to the forces asociated with major power loads.

I built several in my earliest days and found that the slides on the34 are much weaker than the slides on the 17.the main reason is weight. The 34 has to weigh the same as the 17 so that glocks formula for the 9mm stays constant. The places that the factory has taken the weight from leaves these slides prone to crack across the locking surface when subjected to the forces asociated with major power loads.

If the slide on the 34 is weak for the reason of maintaining weith, why wouldn't a 17 with a cut/lightened slide have the same problems? I'm thinking I should go get a 17 now and trash the 34 plans, but I have already drilled the 34 slide and did the frame mods myself. All that is left is barrel and trigger work, by far the most expensive mods I have yet to do, but if I am setting myself up for major failure here, I want to get it right.

Virtually all of the open 34's I've seen with compensators are not factory slides...usually Caspian.

Where are they finding Caspian slides? I contacted Caspian a few months back and they said they are not making them for the 34. Maybe if they get enough interest, they said they might consider it. Does anyone make a slide for the 34?

I just called Caspian, they do NOT make a slide for the 34, MAYBE at the end of the year. 17 slides are going to productiion mid to late year.

Edited by tank69

Tank,

The frame for the 17 and 34 are the same so all you need is a 17 slide and a barrel and comp to fit a 17 slide instead of the 34. It sounds like you don't have the barrel yet so that is not a problem.

I ran into the same talk with Ben as you did but he even included the 17 in the same talk and I know lots of people are running 17's with KKM's and comps.

What mods have you made to the frame?

I have a 17C with lots of extras for sale if you might be interested. I couldn't find my classified post this morning as I was just going to lower the price. I will repost it tonight.

AZ38super,

Even though the 17 and 34 are swappable, i'd rather just buy a complete gun. I'm just glad I researched this more and spoke to Ben as I don't want to hurt myself or others. I can make the 34 a limited gun for my 11yr. old son, he won't like it scopeless, but he can get over the BLING factor.

Is anyone having problems with the 17? Seems the 17 is the way to go and I haven't really heard of any issues. Seems the like the 34 is the "problem" child.

For the frame mods, I dremeled/sanded the trigger guard and backstrap to get a higher grip, too make it fit my fat fingers better. It feels much better, i'll post a few pics when I get home tonight.

Don't repost the 17c, let's talk. Send me a PM. I live in Maricopa and work at Ray & I-10.

AZ38super,

Even though the 17 and 34 are swappable, i'd rather just buy a complete gun. I'm just glad I researched this more and spoke to Ben as I don't want to hurt myself or others. I can make the 34 a limited gun for my 11yr. old son, he won't like it scopeless, but he can get over the BLING factor.

Is anyone having problems with the 17? Seems the 17 is the way to go and I haven't really heard of any issues. Seems the like the 34 is the "problem" child.

For the frame mods, I dremeled/sanded the trigger guard and backstrap to get a higher grip, too make it fit my fat fingers better. It feels much better, i'll post a few pics when I get home tonight.

Don't repost the 17c, let's talk. Send me a PM. I live in Maricopa and work at Ray & I-10.

I'll send you more info tonight.

We have built several 34 open guns with comps,I dont promote building that setup,they are a pain in the ass to get working trouble free. I dont think its a slide weight issue,we have lightened the slides and that dosent help to much,I think it has more to do with the total travle that the slide makes.

We have built several 34 open guns with comps,I dont promote building that setup,they are a pain in the ass to get working trouble free. I dont think its a slide weight issue,we have lightened the slides and that dosent help to much,I think it has more to do with the total travle that the slide makes.

Do you promote it on the 17?

I think what Tom is talking about is the angels that are involved with the 34 barrel and longer slide. the stroke is the same but the barrle is at a much diferent angle at rear stroke versese the 17 which is the original design.

The 34 is a comprimise of a formula that lends itself in an uncomped configuration .

the problems with the longer barrel and angles become aparent as the added weight of the comp are applied. the barrel is more free to rattle around in the channel of the slide and becomes prone to bouncing off the locking block instead of coming to a dead rest .

this situation causes the case to unlock from the barrel at diferent places on the breach face. making reliable ejection paterns a real head ache.

the issue I was eluding to in my earlier post was the material that is removed just below the locking lug of the slide. there is a cut that runs inside the channel that weakens the integrity of the slide causing cracks across the left side of the locking surface.at the corner of the barrel opening in the slide.

i feel the material left in the 17 makes for a much stronger slide.

I pushed my own designs to the limit of the platform and found that the 34 was not for me. your own exsperiences with a more conservative aproach may lend itself to the platform

only time and a steady diet of major 9 will tell.

MS,

Thanks for the clarification.I see the problems that the 34 would present.I know that the 34 slide is the same weight as the 22 slide and the 35 is a little heavier.Have you tried to make an open set-up out of the 35? I want to play around with the 35 ,I know the round capacity will be lower but the 40 lends itself more to minor and major than the 9mm does as you really have to push the 9 to make major and if I shoot a couple of GSSF matches there is no PF plus round count doesn't come into play.This topic is getting interesting.Thanks,Ken

No there is no extra slide travle on the 34 vrs 17,what I ment was the travle of the longer slide. And yes tank we promote it on the 17/22 size pistols,I am a big promoter of portted barrels on the 34/35 size pistols,we have built a lot of them that way.

WOW, I have learned more in this thread than I have reading bits and pieces of others.

So Tom, or anyone, do I even need a comp'd barrel on a 17 if I'm shooting major? Or is a ported or maybe a 17C the way to go?

Virtually all of the open 34's I've seen with compensators are not factory slides...usually Caspian.

Where are they finding Caspian slides? I contacted Caspian a few months back and they said they are not making them for the 34. Maybe if they get enough interest, they said they might consider it. Does anyone make a slide for the 34?

I just called Caspian, they do NOT make a slide for the 34, MAYBE at the end of the year. 17 slides are going to productiion mid to late year.

Technically correct. Receiver is a 34, slide is a 17. I stand corrected! Caspian did have 17 slides for awhile back.

I hope mine G34 works!!! :wacko:

ioannis

I played breifly with a 40 with a 9 barrel but that didnt work all that well because of the breach face. I saw very eradic ejection paths so I abandend that project. as far as a 40 open gun my pasion has always been IPSC shooting and steel so the 9 always apealed to me.As of late i am shhoting the same gun in GSSF ,uspsa ,steel chalange ,and pin matches

I change spring rates and loads and am happy. even the sight setings are real close for the diferent Games.dosent get any better.

Making minor with a 40 is a touchy proposition. geting the spring rates right can be confounding.I find making major with the9 easier.

I shoot my G34 in Production with a tungsten rod and reduced power recoil spring and have never had any problems. For the "fun" shoots at my club, I drop in a 6 port barrel, and again, no issues. I'm speaking from experience (I used to be a manager at Best Buy) and when we were asked for something that we did not have in stock, it was a practice to dismiss the item that was originally being sought out. All that being said, shooting minor in Open is quite the path less traveled...but I wish you all the best :)