Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Stages Without A Penalty?

Jake Di Vita

Alright, so I set the goal of shooting 100 stages in a row without a penalty. I'm only 11 in so far. I will soon be keeping a running total on my website as well.

What I want to know is what you guys think can be done. How many stages can be shot in a row without a penalty?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how agressively you shoot. I would dare to say YOU could shoot the rest of the matches you ever shoot without a penalty, if that is your main goal, because you have the skill to make the shots. If that would be good for your scores is another question entirely. To be one of the best you have to push a fine line without straying over it, just ask Phil. He is one of the best Limited shooters out there and has been within a penalty or two from a major title. It is an interesting goal though.

:) At what speed though? If you shoot it at 3 sec El Prez pace your results will be much different than if you do it in all alpha pace.

It is that gray zone where matches are won or lost when there are competitors of similiar skill levels. If you were shooting with Eric G I would say maybe a match or two, if you are shooting with regular shooters many, many more matches.

Consistency is a huge key to sucess, but then as TGO has proven time and again so is know when to push the envelope and how far to push.

I am still working every match on the just aim part ;)

This is an interesting idea...

I keep track of all match performance, and usually it's not the penalties that get me, it's losing focus or other mistakes that trip me up, costing time and points. I've actually won stages with penalties because I was a bit faster than somebody else, but thinking as to how the same speed with no penalty would hit factor out is worth looking at. Will start studying that this week...

I think Jake is saying that he is going to focus on shooting clean. As a means of improving his match consistency. I am pretty sure he is still looking for first place and isn't going into bulls-eye mode.

So, if I am correct, this is a sub-goal of great shooting...not a replacement goal for winning?

With enough intensity in your focus I too think you can go 100+ without a penalty. One slip is all it takes though, maintaining that kind of focus for 100 stages will be extremely difficult.

I really don't think it is a question of 'can', I think it is a matter of sheer will to MAKE it happen.

That said, sooner or later you will be faced with a situation where taking a risk will provide the reward or ruin the run of clean stages. If the match is hanging in the balance I know what I would do, take the risk of being a loser for the chance of being a winner.

The whole point here is that if he were shooting against eric.... then he damn sure better not have any penalties.

No offense to phil... but penalties have COST him more matches than risking them have won.

I honestly don't know how many i can shoot.... but since the last match I only shot one stage without penalties... (and won it) shooting clean will be a huge goal for me in the upcoming months is shooting stone cold consistantly and let the results fall where they may.

Jake is inherently an aggressive person and it is clear he is driven to success in this sport. His dedication, his skill, his drive are all things that are going to lead to his continued success.

That said, I think we can better understand the context of the question. I don't honestly believe Jake is ever going to shoot an El Pres in a match in more than 4.5 seconds. Maybe he will if something happens, but he's always going to be aggressive and he's always going to be fast.

So how many stages w/o penalty? I guessed 25. Enough that you are in the hunt banging out strong stages but not so many that you've backed off the accelerator too much.

The goal of 100 is certainly achievable. Definitly by you.

Still, I remember so many nationals where Rob would get a penalty for his left foot being out of a box on a prone stage - something stupid like that. Really a none shooting error that in the end probably shouldn't have impacted results. They play into the scores of course, but they are tough pills to swallow. Hopefully Jake won't have any of these, and honestly for the purpose of this goal, maybe you could even factor them out. I'd think your goal is no shooting errors.

Good luck though - I know you'll see success.

J

The question seems to be:

If your conscious mind's goal is to have no penalties, will you score the most points in the least amount of time?

Or, if your conscious mind's picture is 2 Alphas on every target, will you THEN score the most points in the least amount of time?

Jake,

Run a stage mentally (visualization) with both "pictures" and see if you shoot them differently, maybe?

My concerm with this goal would be this:

If I am thinking about about avoiding penalties, would this be a positive goal or a negative goal?

Would I see the no-shoots bigger than the a-zones?

Would I be happy with a clean stage with poor points, or would I be dissappointed?

My mindset at matches is a clean accurate match in complete control.

My conscious picture at LAMR is 2 alpha, 2 alpha, 2 alpha.

I'm sticking with it. :)

SA

Preface: I know nothing

I understand the question and I believe in the goal, however don't you think this goal such is equivalent to placing a restriction on your overall performance? There is a saying somewhere, to the effect, if you aren't screwing up occasionally you're not pushing hard enough? What new things would you learn? Would you learn any? Is your competition racking up a penalties, but still beating you? What is more valuable: consistant penalty free performance(s) or winning?

Perhaps this is different for lower class shooters (like me), as opposed to M's and GM's?

To win requires shooting the match in total control.

To win just requires that you get more match points than everyone else... ;) Take from that whatever you want, cause it means different things on different days in different matches.... :)

The harsh reality is that Jake is right - to win consistently requires that you make the fewest mistakes, and still be on pace. I voted 50 - mainly because the focus it takes to be penalty free for that many stages over different matches, weeks, etc, is pretty tremendous.

I put in for 50, not because I think Jake can't do 100 or 200 or however many he wants, but because I think sooner or later he'll run into the prop from hell (swinger, mover, steel picket fence, whatever) that will take more time to plunk 2 perfect shots into than it's worth.

I had this thread in mind when i went to the match this morning. First stage I put a round into hardcover. But I shot the remaining 4 stages without a penalty.

I think you can go about 20.