Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Powder?

IAN27

I recently enquired as to what loads I could use with Unique powder for 40 cal. It seems most people are using Clays, Titegroup,, Vihtavuori etc. My problem is that where I live there is a severe lack of any good suppliers of powder and bullets. Powder supply is a major problem and it seems that the only powders I will be able to get with any regularity are Unique and Power Pistol. It seems that the rest are nigh on impossible to get a hold of. Bullet supply it seems is also going to be a problem. I should however be able to get a hold of plenty of Frontier 180gr CMJ RNFP and 180gr Lead FP. Any help re loads for Unique and Power Pistol would be appreciated. I will be loading for STI Executive, CZ Champion and Glock pistols. Factory ammo is way way overpriced so that is not an option.

Thanks Ian

I use Unique almost exclusively. With a 180 gr lead for 2011's it takes about 5.0 grains for me to make major with a 1.175 oal. I would guess about 5.4 gr would be close with any jacketed rounds. Work up slow and see what happens. I've had good results with it. Playing with the length for Glock's/CZ's would obviously reduce the powder charge.(maybe around 4.5 grains or so for 1.150 oal.)

Is mail order not an option for you? Many folks I know will patronize local suppliers out of solidarity/support, but if none are around, and both better components and better prices are available from online or catalog outfits that can ship to you, why not?

Just thinking out loud. :rolleyes:

Kevin C.

Is mail order not an option for you? Many folks I know will patronize local suppliers out of solidarity/support, but if none are around, and both better components and better prices are available from online or catalog outfits that can ship to you, why not?

Just thinking out loud. :rolleyes:

Kevin C.

Hi Kevin

I should have said that I live in N. Ireland. Since the ban on handguns in the United Kingdom, the gun dealers there have not got the market for pistol powders any more. Gun Dealers in N Ireland are getting some powder from dealers in the UK, but it has to be shipped via Ship under very stringent conditions. For most dealers here it isnt worth the effort. I have asked, but it seems that Titegroup and Vithavuori pistol powders are nigh on impossible to get hold of. Hence it looks like I'll have to make do with Unique and Power Pistol and the 180gr Frontier bullets.

Regards

Ian