Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On Bode.

SRT Driver

I remember the old days when making the Olympic Team was an accomplishment all on itself.

Some people get caught up on the activities around them at the Olympics. Some maintain their edge. Some do their best and still don't win.

The only problem I see is that the Olympics has turned into a giant money game now instead of the athletic event it was. It's too important to win so that our athletes can get the sponsorships and the money instead of the gold.

Bode must be doing something right to keep his sponsorships. Look at those dumb commercials he's in now.

TL,

Although his performance was not up to par, for me it was his attitude regarding it. It is one thing to bust your (little rolly things) and lose but to put forth a half assed effort and then act like it doesn't matter is unforgivable.

He better hope he had satisfied all his performance clauses in his contracts before he spent any of the dough. There may be a coupel of sponsors who decide they want a little refund. :D

Yep, there are a whole passle of athletes that I like, it is just the ones with attitude that I don;'t like...or the ones that get a truck load of money and they don't perform ...

However, I DO think that MOST pro athletes are vastly over paid and it is incumbent on the people who buy the tickets, (you and me) to let them know that we don;t think playing a game like that should automatically make you a mulitmillionaire...How about members of the Rodeo Cowboys Assn...they work hard for the money and if they buck off..no money...and most golfers...if they don;t make the cut, no money...it is to ones who have the guarenteed salaries for mega millions that I don';t like...Like Clemens last year made 18 million dollars...that is about 500k each time he took the mound regardless of if he won or not....just STUPID... <_< NO WONDER it costs 100 bucks a head to go to see a ball game!!!

My feeling is that most should get a million and the rest of the compensation should be performance incentives...they would be sure to "get in shape mentally and physically"...

Hey, paying these guys in a manner that is respectful and fair isn't brain surgery, but all the ticket buyers mearly nod their collective heads up and down when the idiot owners give them a 20 million dollar signing bonus..I mean Hell, what is that all about....noone and I repeat NOONE deserves a signing bonus like that...I mean Secretariat worked for a bucket full of oats and some female companionship after his racing career...LOL

It is out of hand, and the cry of "show me the money" is a joke...show me the performance and then and only then do we show you the money...Again, hit .340 and get big bucks...hit .240 and no performance bonus, simple...Rush for 1000 yds a season and get the money, rush for 660 yds and no money..

And above all else...if they get caught using drugs or steroids...fire their silly ass...no money at all...really simple on that account...if they try to strangle the coach or fight with team mates or go into the stands after a spectator, fire their silly ass, no money at all..if they are indicted of a felony, fire their silly ass....We are letting the owners make a travesty of pro sports by allowing all this to go on without consequences...If you can;t do the time, don't do the crime.. These are adults for heavens sake...they need to act like one and if they violate the rules...FTSA (fire their silly ass).....works like that in business and for the most part in the government, why not in sports...?

Well Flex, you did not expect this to turn into a hate rant, but you asked...and while I can be backed off of most positions by skillful debate, I am firm on this one..they just need to face the music...

Glad you asked, aren't you? ;)

I've heard you say all that before, oddly. ;)

Spokesmen come and go. The market is fickle.

I'm a fan of performance based compensation, in most cases. But, that is not the prevailing system. And, we do live in a market that enjoys certain freedoms. The market place chooses. Thankfully.

Spokesmen come and go. The market is fickle.

-------------------

BTW...you never did say who you liked. You did spend quite a bit a time on what/who you didn't like.

I'm a fan of performance based compensation, in most cases. But, that is not the prevailing system.

The prevailing system for compensation is like dealing with the government...if you don't like something, you can change it, but it might take some time to do it and perhaps it can't be accomplished in one fell swoop...But NOTHING is going to happen if we continue with the status quo and allow the pro athletes to receive obscene salaries in payment for average or sub par performances; let them continue to abuse the game, the coaches, the other players, the fans, the rules and many times the laws of the land; let them continue to thumb their collective noses at the lackadasical uneducated fans who condone everything the players say, or do without embarassment, if we let them continue to skew the morals and ethics we all know to be correct (yes, the ability to tell right from wrong) not just on the field but off as well; and continue to allow the owners to pass along the "cost of doing business" (grossly inflated salaries, stupidly high ticket costs, unfair associated costs of sports, such as parking, and concessions) without voicing our outrage by boycotting the games and players activities till salaries and prices go down (now there is a novel idea)....

There was a congressional inquiry into the possible collusionof the major energy companies about unfair escalation of gasoline prices during the hurricanes and the people of the US were behind that inquiry because in their hearts they KNEW they were getting raped, but the pro teams do all that openly and then flaunt the fact that prices just "have to go up" without anybody even asking "why prices have to go up"...We all should have to common sense to know that NOONE is worth 18 million dollars to start 20 to 30 games in baseball without a guarentee of a win....Noone is worth 70 million dollars over 5 yrs to throw a ball through a hoop without being able to promise they can average 30 points a game, 10 rebounds and 5 assists. Nobody bets on the come like that in Vegas or Atlantic City and lives to gamble another day if they have to pay for it out of their own pockets...the pro teams, owners and athletes don;t either...WE pay for it and have been doing it for lots of years...and because we pay for it unquestioningly, they have turned into the spoiled, chemically enhanced, abusive, self centered, ridiculous, uneducated, crass, morally corrupt babies that they are; and we have allowed it to happen without even so much as a condescending word....

Damn, am I the only one who can see that it is just plain WRONG????? Guess so, Flex....

I may be just one person, one voice, one action, but I still vote my conscience, and refuse to support these sports, teams, owners and pro athletes by spending the asking price to see a game being played in person... and unless you spend huge money for close up seats, you sit in the nose bleed section, spend most of a day driving to and from the game, spend crazy prices to park, even craizer prices to eat ( cause they won't let you bring in your own food or drink) and nutso prices if you buy a rememberance of the game like a cap or T shirt...I jsut refuse to do it... In the same manner that I refuse to spend 150/200 bucks to take my sweetie out for a great meal at some restaurant for a fair steak, usually raw veggies, a mediocre bottle of wine and some double chocolate swirl cake when I can cook the best steak going, enjoy the freshest veggies possible which are cooked to our personal preference, a couple of bottles of exceptional wine, and whatever we want for dessert, for less than a third of that price....and what am I missing by doing it at home you ask...the aggrivation of idiot drivers, traffic congestion, parking, waiting at the restaurant, and then gagging on that stupid bill when it comes at the end of the meal...

And to answer your question, I like all athletes who earn their money based on their personal performance, golfers, track and field, gymnists, and most of the individual sport people...it is the team athletes that get my goat...but I even like some of them...the ones that day in and day out are prepared mentally and physically and give their all to the game and their team trying to win, and give that effort without abuse toward anyone, without flaunting their money to anyone, and who contribute to the betterment of the game and sport...Guys like Dan Marino, Jack Nicklaus, Robbie Leatham, Dr. J, Larry Bird,

Wayne Gretzky, and a lot of current players who go relatively unnoticed but not unappreciated during their playing career...

Pro sports like the government can run amuck if not challenged and left to their own devices without intervention of the end users; US...Sure it is the current system, but that doesn't mean I have to like it, condone it, and continue to use it without trying to change it for the better by using the things at my personal disposal...my wit, intelligence, my ethics, my morals, my personal contacts, my influence and my personal money.. You have to pick your battles, and this just happens to be one of mine...everyone is entitled to screw up as much or as little as they want to regarding the things under their influence including how they spend their disposable income...just seems to me that you would want to get the most for your moneyeach and every time you feel like turning loose of some of it..I know I DO...

Ok, so now I have elaborated on one of my pet peeves...I would love to hear a rebuttal of these concepts and how you think the current compensation system for athletes is better than a performance based one, why you think we as individuals can have no impact on what is happening in pro sports, and why you personally condone and possibly compelled to spend outrageous money to witness some jock who embodies all the bad attributes I have described above.. :angry:

...I would love to hear a rebuttal of these concepts and how you think the current compensation system for athletes is better than a performance based one

I'm shaking my head in disbelief. I know you read what I just posted...because you quoted it at the start of your thread (Quite the tirade, I might add. I'll bet it felt good to get that out of your system? :) ).

You and I don't get to decide. The market place decides. That is how it works is a free-market economy. If you and I don't like it, we get to choose where to spend our dollars...as does the next individual...and the next.

I don't have a right to tell you to buy smooth Kentucky Bourbon instead of over-priced grape juice. You don't get to spend my money on custom guns and over-priced cigars.

Others seem to find utility in trading their money for the entertainment offered by various sporting events...or movies...or dinners, etc. I don't get to dictate where they spend their money. (foolish as it my seem to me ;) )