Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meopta 1-4x - Any Updates?

chp5

Several members have been shooting the Meopta 1-4x for a few months now.

Any updates on your likes and dislikes about the scope? Do you guys like the reticle?

The 8 MOA dot on 1x seems big to me. Thoughts?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been using it since Nov. only big match was Ft. Benning and was very pleased with it on both the close and far stuff. As I was used to a 1-4X scope already the learning curve was very quick. You do have to twist on the power band for those tight 100 yd. shots. We had some 4" wide blades in a stage and they could be hit with out dialing up the power but it was a lot faster and more precise to go to 4 power. Still on the original battery, and yes I have used it extensively, even shot a couple of running coyotes with it. IMHO it will handle anything I've seen at any "normal" 3 gun match. KISS must have been the mission statement when this scope was developed because it is very easy to use. Interested to hear what the rest of you early adopters think. Keith

Mueller's taking their sweet time... The Meopta may be my next scope.

How's the tracking? Repeatable?

What are the adjustments @ 100 yards?

Resetable turrets?

Does the glass have a tint?

How stiff is the power ring? Does it loosen with use?

How forgiving is the eye relief? How bad/good is the parallax --- can you repeatably hit a 8/10" target at 300 yards with an off-center view through the scope?

Can anybody else confirm Bronco's 8min @ 1x and 2min @ 4x figures?

Does the reticle wash out in bright sunlight?

Does it have functional BAC or do the horizontal and vertical lines diminish the BAC function when compared to the Trijicon BAC reticles?

Thanks in advance.

Let,s see. 2 min dot on 4x thing glows great. Coin batteries NOT hard to find for a couple of bucks each. no tint. Field of view on 1x includes 3/4 of the hand guard. EASY hits on 10" plates at 300. Power ring still a little stiff but hey it,s 30 degrees here. Is it better than a TA-11?? I don't know, as I have NO dominatnt eye, but I really like the SIMPLE reticle of the Meopta. Will I replace the TA-11 on the J.P. rifle?? I dought it, but I did build a dedicated upper for it!!! KURTM

BBD no sarcasim intended. Just the facts as I see them, I really can shoot two pistols at the same time, one left one right and see two different and distinct sight pictures no dominancey! And I do like the Meopta, I just don't know if it does anything for me that the TA-11 doesn't do!! I did hear of a Meopta going bad, but it turned out that it was a barrel problem, not the scope ...BUT the Meopta that was sent back was OVERNIGHT replaced no questions asked, and when it was brought to Meoptas attention that it wasn't the scope, they said no big deal keep the new one! Sounds like good customer service! I would heartily recomend this scope for anyone. KURT

Kurt,

the TA-11 is a fixed power, the Meopta is variable, to state the obvious.

How do you use the Ta-11 in CQB situations (use a side sight, cover the lense, etc) ? I would think a variable power scope close to 1 power that works for you is a decided advantage over a fixed power scope in close in situations. I have a lot of problems using a Ta-11 in close in situations, so always am in search of the newest variable power to see if it is for real. Curious to see how the Ta-11 works for you close in.

Started shooting 3gun with a TA11. Loved it for the longer targets, but could not get the hang of it up close (slow target transitions). Added a JP close range iron sight and this helped, but still had problems with targets in the 40-60 yard range that were out to far for the JP irons and a little close for the TA11 (small FOV). I switched to the Meopta Meostar in November '05 and love it. Gives me 1X CQB (huge FOV) and 4X long range capability in the same scope. Daytime dot is very nice (nice size and brightness), reticle is uncluttered, and glass is clear. I don't dial dope with this set up so I can't comment on tracking and repeatability. I use a 50 yard zero and know my poa/poi from 0 to 330 yards (farthest I can shoot). I had a very small hair or piece of thread inside my first scope. Meopta NY shipped me out a new scope and gave me a FEDX account number to ship back the old scope. Great QC. New scope has been great. Only negative is when looking through the scope with both eyes open, my left eye will sometimes pick up the illumination dial on the left side of the scope. I'd see a ghost image of the knob inside the scope. At first this worried me, but I found I didn't see it when shooting.

Nick-

I don't use a lens cover ( it really doesn't work as the TA-11 is a roof prism scope and ALL the shots will be way off to the side of your dominant eye) I HATE side sights, I have seen more tallented people miss with this setup than just pointing the rifle. No I don't use side sights. I keep both eyes open and put the doughnut where I want the bullet to hit and a bit high due to bore off set if it,s real close. With no dominant eye I can see the reticle AND the 1x left eye at the same time, just like if you were to shoot a 1X dot sight. The first time I won SMM3G I used a TA-11, since I built my extended sight radius AR I am back to shooting iron, and that was what I used to win SMM3G the second time.

I know you are wondering why I even have a Meopta. Well It is on a loaner upper that I let othere people use, and I might shoot a match or two with it, or maybe not, but I got the thing so cheap that if I decide to ditch it I won't get hurt on the price :D KURTM

Kurt and Nick,

thanks for the replies.

Nick, your experiences with the ta-11 mirror mine. It did not work well close in because of the narrow fov. I did try the side sight, but found that if I came up off the stock even a little while moving, the round was going over the target. I had to slow down and make sure I was on the sight, so why bother using it if it slowed things down.

Kurt, it sounds like the Ta-11 works for you because of a physical anomaly. Most of us have a dominant eye to a more or less degree. You are able to use the trijicon close in because you can shift over to your non dominant unconsciously during a stage. I sure can't do that and probably most of us can't. my left eye is extremely dominant.

I need to take one of the Meopta's off the shelf and use it for a month or so to see if it works for me. Have just not had time to experiment with any new scopes recently. Still using the Valdada 1-4 with a reasonable degree of success, but hope there is the "pefect" scope out there for me. Looking forward to playing with the Elcan in a month or so when the samples arrive, but I think it needs a bit of refining still.

Is the only sane man in a room full of crazy people any less sane?? :lol: Is the man with a non dominance ( of the eyes Kelly/Benny ) an anomaly, or the man that has strong eye dominance??? Believe it or not you can train away a mild eye dominance problem, but cross dominance is for life. Now if I could just perfect the X-Ray vision so I can see which rounds will miss befor I shoot them life would really be good!! :D KURTM

Oh yea and I think of ALL the scopes out there the Meopta is about the best for a variable. If the new ELCAN had a better reticle I would opt for it.....but it don't!!! KURT

Kurt, couldnt the lack of a dominate eye, that is the ability to focus both eyes equally well at the same time, lead to wandering aimlessly around never to reach a suitable destination? Prehaps however it could lead to a role as the lead player in GEICO commercials? How could this ability possibily relate to sheep?-----Larry

I must say, after seeing 20 yard shots with a TA-11, You guys are right.. KurtM could only do a El Pres with a reload in 4.84 with all Alpha's. I guess you can't shoot these at close range! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

By the way... I think I found myself knocking at the door to that "room" you all are talking about!!

Edited by mike_pinto