Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Absolute Single Favorite Movie?

THE WAY OF THE GUN

THE best gunfight(s) ever filmed. It makes Heat look silly. I'm not sure who their technical advisor was, but if you ever have the chance to rent this one, do it. I found a copy in Wal-mart for $5.00!!!

Great gun-handling (1911's, of course), great tactics (stong hand/weak hand only reloads), great use of cover, great communication, and pretty good room clearing going on there. You won't be dissapointed!

Phil

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Erik said...you guys are getting penalties for not following the stage procedues.

SINGLE favorite!

There is a whole 'nother thread for lists of favorites.

O.K., since Kyle's is flexing the timer and rulebook here's mine:

Once upon a time in the West, Sergio Leone, 1968. I keep coming back to it and finding new stuff --- and I could do it as the desert island movie. I first saw it when I was about 14, I had never seen a film with pacing that felt like reading a novel, or that turned westerns so upside down before.

The only thing I've seen since that might replace it: Kill Bill, volumes 1 and 2. I'm reserving judgement until I can see the whole thing as one long movie ---- then at some point I'll have to decide on which movie finishes in second place....

I just found The Shawshank Redemption in the super sale box at the video store and after 8 years of first seeing it I must say its up there on tied for first with.

Scent of a Woman - Al Pacino is magnificent.

The Unforgiven - Clints facal expressions can say more than a thounsand words.

THE WAY OF THE GUN

THE best gunfight(s) ever filmed. It makes Heat look silly. I'm not sure who their technical advisor was, but if you ever have the chance to rent this one, do it.

Phil, the technical advisor was the writer/director's brother, who at the time was an active duty USNavy SEAL. The director is also a shooter, as is his wife (who did costumes, I think). She was very proud to have fired the shotgun for the sound when Juliette Lewis fired the shotgun.

So the movie was stacked pretty heavily toward people who know what the gun stuff should look like. I am also impressed with how well Benecio del Toro and Ryan Philippe did the "stunts" ... clearly they were serious about at least looking the part.

And the best part was Sarah Silverman's cursing tirade at the beginning. That girl has a talent for swearing that is ... inspirational.

I'm having trouble picking an absolute favorite. "Way of the Gun" is certainly near the top, but there are so many others that I can watch over and over and still enjoy more each time I watch them.

This weekend I watched "The Outfitters" (1998) for about the 37th time. It's a little independent film written, directed, and produced by a fellow named Reverge Anselmo and starring Danny Nucci, Del Zamora, and Dana Delany. It's hard to describe it, but it's a classic example of the kind of film that would be described as "quirky," but in a very good way. The dialog is among the best I've ever heard, easily as good as Joss Whedon at his best on "Buffy" or "Angel" and the music was perfect. The characters are probably even better than the dialog, if that's possible. Everyone involved in the film was at their absolute best and it shows. If you find it somewhere, buy it or rent it and you won't be disappointed.

I think I can watch "Silverado" and "Tombstone" non-stop too. And "Grosse Point Blank." And "So I Married an Axe Murderer," which is probably Mike Myers' best movie so far.

Can't choose just one.

Wargames - Matthew Broderick WOPR says, "Do you want to play a game?"

Shawshank Redemption - Watch it every time it's on TV

Boys in Company "C" - best VN flick I've seen

I just found my all time favorite movie on DVD at a supermarket for $9.99.

The Battle of Britain

Historical, emotional, a great cast ... and Supermarine Spitfires in the air :wub:

Kevin

I'm am a really big fan of Tom Clancy.  I have all of his books and the movies made from his Books.  If I had to choose just one it would have to be "Clear and Present Danger"  Both in the book and the movie.

cowboy.gif

I'm a very big fan of Tom Clancy! "Clear and Present Danger" was the worst Clancy movie made(Maybe Sum of all Fears, but I understand what they are trying to do, using a young Jack Ryan). CaPD, totally off the plot, they kill Dan Murry(now the head of FBI), and the only man without a gun survises the main attack. However, the first time I saw it, I like the movie. Then I read the book(all of the Ryan books), and now I hate that movie.

BE,

If on an island, maybe "Strip Tease" with Demi Moore :wub: (no volume needed).

One of my favorite is "A Few Good Men"..."Hunt for Red October"..."Tombstone"...

Hell, I can't make up my mind.

[bE,

That would be a nightmare to me. I'd rather use my imagination than be stuck with images only of a girl who is too skinny, has no hips or a**, and has plastic hooters (and not even good ones at that). No hips is a deal breaker.

[bE,

That would be a nightmare to me. I'd rather use my imagination than be stuck with images only of a girl who is too skinny, has no hips or a**, and has plastic hooters (and not even good ones at that). No hips is a deal breaker.

Rhino,

You must be thinking about the movie "Showgirls", and then you would be correct. That girl is too skinny, but not Demi Moore!!!

Nope! I was thinking about Demi Moore. She had no hips or butt in that movie. She can't help not having hips (and to a lesser extent the buttissimo), but that does not appeal to me.

Women are supposed to have them. Plastic hooters to not make up for it and in fact often exaggerate it.

Wow, this requires some thought doesn't it ?

My first reaction is The Lion King. But if we use the Desert Island criteria, I think I'd get bored too quick.

For some reason, every time it is on cable, I have to stop and watch The Professional. No matter where in the movie it is, first 5 min, last 5 or anywhere in the middle. Drives my wife nuts. Same with The Usual Suspects.

I absolutley love the monologue from Patton. Gives me goosebumps every time.Same with the big fight scene from Braveheart.

I've watched Pulp Fiction so many times, I can repeat parts from memory.

hmmmmm.....

Hmm, let me see... what could it be???

<<<--- HINT, HINT ...

Oh yeah, Halloween (almost a tie between 1 and 2). Actually, I like to watch them as one movie since 2 takes place immediately where one left off.

gmshtr:

THE WAY OF THE GUN

THE best gunfight(s) ever filmed. It makes Heat look silly.

I've watched both movies more times than I care to admit, and both have some fantastic gun handling.

HEAT does a better job with long guns though - the full auto Galil in WOTG held a few too many rounds and Benicio went a little hollywood with it.

WOTG is a better handgun movie, the one handed 1911 reloads are over the top cool. And a great script. "Wanna do the man dance?"

But HEAT - Val Kilmers HK, Sizemores shotgun, and DeNiro's rifle work in the bank shootout - phenomenal.

I have "Leon" on DVD and "The Professional" on VHS. ;)

The misuse of the Galil in "Way of the Gun" is something that still bothers me, but I think it fits in the story as it happened. Obviously it was stupid to pi** away the ammo of the most effective weapon on the scene that day, but people ... even well trained people ... do stupid things, then pay the price.

Had he managed the ammo better, the protagonists might have won that fight and be in South America with all of that money, ready for a sequel! They certainly would have had a better chance of coming through to the end with fewer holes in their bodies. It just goes to show the old adage of "always bring enough bullets."

Plus, we don't know for absolute sure whether or not they really died at the end ...