Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Your Absolute Single Favorite Movie?

The misuse of the Galil in "Way of the Gun" is something that still bothers me, but I think it fits in the story as it happened. Obviously it was stupid to pi** away the ammo of the most effective weapon on the scene that day

I had the same thought.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DT:

Actually, Kilmer had a CAR-15 and Sizemore had a Galil during the bank shootout.

I didn't intend to say the HK/sgn were part of the bank scene - blame my hastily typed sentence. It was a comment on the movie as a whole, with a specific reference to DeNiro's work in the bank shootout.

One of the great things about HEAT is the use of a variety of terrific rifles - Sizemore's Galil and FN Para, Pacino's FNC, Kilmer's HK91, and of course the CAR15's, among others.

The HK and shotgun were part of the "cash" drop at the abandoned drive in; Kilmer set up on the projector building with an HK91 and Sizemore was at the exit with the smoothbore. Different scene, different guns, well done nonetheless.

heat_12.jpg

Kilmers fast, precision marksmanship at the drive in- along with the cool comms sidebar, the perfect sniper-observer -and Sizemores fearless, determined focus on the big Dodge Ram heading his way. No hesitation, just BOOM BOOM BOOM with complete confidence in the outcome.

I remember thinking "man, this is EPIC" the first time I watched the bank shootout though, specificially when DeNiro shoots through the windshield, and Kilmer does the tac reload behind the car. And then the bounding fire & manuever. :)

Still gives me chills, especially with the surround sound and subwoofer cranked.

Check out his trigger finger!

I'll have to watch again and look, I hadn't noticed.

I assumed full auto from the rate of fire and the bazillion rounds stitching the interior walls, spaced an inch apart - fine for a belt fed MG from a tripod, not so realistic for a 25rd capacity .308.

One of the few obvious technical glitches in an otherwise great movie. The motel scene with BDT sniping from the high ground (same gun with optics, IIRC) pretty much makes up for it.

I didn't intend to say the HK/sgn were part of the bank scene - blame my hastily typed sentence. It was a comment on the movie as a whole, with a specific reference to DeNiro's work in the bank shootout.

Okay, at the risk of seeming totally pedantic, I have to point out that Deniro also used a CAR-15 in the bank shootout scene.

specificially....Kilmer does the tac reload behind the car.

Actually, it's a speedload with an empty gun, not a tac reload. (What can I say? Pedantic.)

OK, let me add "The Shawshank redemption".

Simply the best lesson you can ever learn: you can be smarter than everything (bad wife, bad luck, bad guys, everything else), provided you really want to, and you have a friend... :)

DT:

Actually, it's a speedload with an empty gun, not a tac reload.

He was crouched behind cover; he's getting shot at, and recharging his weapon allows him to get back in the fight. :ph34r:

Yup, empty gun - still a tactical reload anywhere except IDPA. ;)

It's not really that important to me, but it's always been my understanding, long before IDPA existed, that the term "tactical reload" referred to retaining a partially loaded magazine while topping off a gun that still had ammo in it. Letting the magazine hit the ground in the interests of speed, either with a round still in the chamber or an empty gun, was a speedload. (Although in IDPA these days they call the latter an "emergency load" or "slidelock reload" to different it from reloading with the slide forward on a loaded chamber, which is still called a speedload though occasionally you'll hear the term "competition reload.")

Of course I'm engaging in serious thread drift here. I should probably stop now. :(

DT:

Letting the magazine hit the ground in the interests of speed, either with a round still in the chamber or an empty gun, was a speedload.

I dimly recall some training event where it was discussed that any reload performed in contact, behind cover, was a tactical reload, probably to differentiate it from an "admin" reload. Can't find anything to substantiate it now.

I looked back at my G. Suarez and Blackwater stuff and the bona fide "Tactical Reload" is as you say - performed out of contact w/ magazine retention. Kilmer did an out of battery, speed reload, by those definitions.

Either way, it was cool to watch.

The defining movie of my youth. "Billy Jack". I spent my paper route money time and again to see that film.

But my all time favorite is "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

I do have a quick question. In the movie "Ronin" when Dinero is in the ampitheater is he using a Sig 225? The grip looks to be a single stack. I ask this question because Duane wrote an article some years back that led me to buy a 225. Best shooting handgun I have ever owned.

Heat

The Way of the Gun

The Princess Bride

Crimson Tide

Clancy's Ryan series, including TSOAF

The Patriot

Everything Tarantino

Boondock Saints

Last of the Mohicans

The Professional

The Usual Suspects

Glory

...those are all in my VHS/DVD collection but, as lcarr posted on 17-October-2002, one movie that I just can't stop watching every other month is LEGENDS OF THE FALL. Guess that's being the older of 4 brothers working on me. Bring back to Dad the heart of your kid brother in a can... Collect the scalps of the guys who killed him... All the bros fall in love with the same woman, big tragedy, but at the end the blood bond was stronger...

Yeah, I could bring Legends with me to Brian's island... hope is a tropical one B)

Como siempre!

Have you guys/gals seen Hero? It's the best martial arts movie hands down.

It was briefly available in the states, then some major corporation bought the title rights to the movie. <_<

Yeah, good flick...