Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your choice of Glock Specific Sight's?

Bugs Bunny

Bugs,

My preference runs to Meprolights on the Glock.  5 of my six guns wear those, the last one wears a set of Ashley Express sights.  There could be a little more light showing around the front sight for my outdoor shooting tastes ---- but most of my shooting occurs indoors.  I've shot IDPA with that set-up for the past year and the tritiums really came into their own on the two flashlight stages at the IDPA Winter Nationals.  I also like the fact that the experience of looking at those sights in practice and in competition will carry over to my house gun (A Glock 34 with meprolights, a 5 lb trigger and sure-fire flashlight) if I should ever need it.  

The best setup in my opinion, for real world use with Glocks, is a Heinie front sight with an MMC single tritium bar rear sight.  If I were not concerned with having an adjustable rear sight, I'd probably just go for the Heinie rear sight.  If the gun were for competition only, I would forego any tritium lamps or fiber optic tubes and go with simple black sights.

The Heinie front sight is serrated and has a Trijicon lamp, but no white ring.  I prefer no white ring, although there are some lighting conditions where a white ring can be helpful.

The MMC rear sights are built like a tank.  However, MMC uses IWI lamps, which are not very good insofar as they lose illumination relatively quickly.  I have three sets of MMC rear sights:  a two bar, a one bar, and a two dot.  The two dots are two or three years old and already dim.  The bars seem to be holding up better.

Using the single bar, or the Heinie single rear dot for that matter, gets around the problem, somewhat, that 99.9% of tritium sights have:  the dots don't line up at the same point as the top edges of the sights.  The single bar sights probably give up a little bit of elevation accuracy when using the tritium lamps only for aiming.

Note also that some sights do not have the lamps centered correctly in the sights.  It's something to watch out for.  

Lincoln

Some good points, but I would disagree with the issue of the dots not being aligned with the top of the sights.  It is such a marginal issue that it is not worth worring about.  The difference so slight it has to be measured with calipers, will hardly amount to a drastic change of point of aim/point of impact at the realstic contact distances.  

The real issue, is the degree to which you can preform wounded man drills with the mentioned sights.  Though it may be accomplished, I cannot count the number of times I have seen guys on the line trying to work the action of the firearm, but cannot get any purchase.  Trijicons, Meprolights and a few others provide a posititve surface to firmly plant and work the action.  

As for brightness, the Trijicons are the top dog, 10 year warranty.  Of course, there are some that failed quality control, bu what product hasn't.  The post I put into my new carbine a month ago is brighter than the ones I have on my G19 which are 6 years old, but I have to hold them side by side to really pick up the difference.  As for ruggedness, again, they and Meporlights are doing very good.  I have racked the slide on my Glocks against walls, fire hydrants, mailboxes, corners, car doors you name and I have probably done it.  They have taken quite a beaten and look no more the wear for it.  Reliablity is a big issue with personnal defense.  My older G19 has had a bunch of rounds through it roughly 25K and the majority of it was with military hot ammo.  No cracked lamps, lost fillings or anything.  

I agree that there are many different sights available, but personal defense/combat situation, these two guys are hard to beat.

later,

Regarding the difference between the top edges and the dots, from experience I'd say it's 3-4" at 25yds.  So, take that for what it's worth.  Also, _I_ find it a little visually distracting--it's very obvious once you notice it.

Lincoln

• 2 months later...

I have a G.-26 for concealed carry and self defense. I have the Heinie 'straight eight' night sights on it. The only complain I have is that the front sight width is I think .125" which is a bit too wide for my liking. Probably because of the tritium dot you cannot go thinner than .125".

Any suggestions from you guys to make the front blade thinner. Glockracing custom has a customized Heinie 'slant-pro' rear sight modified whereby the rear notch is slightly wider.

For your infor. I am thinking of doing away the rear tritium dot and just use the tritium front dot. Personnally I find that the straight '8' configuration can be somewhat distracting when you have to line the two dots on top of each other to make a sort figure '8'. Use a std. black on black rear sight and just align the dot and shoot.