Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
benos

Post / Thread Moderation

Due to some feedback over the years, I'd like to clarify a few misconceptions regarding how posts or threads are moderated.

First, I understand it's easy to feel attacked when your post/thread is moderated. You might feel "censored," and, "your post was just yanked and no one knows about it or where it went except the Rogue Moderator that removed it."

In reality your post is probably still there, although invisible, pending a discussion in the Admin Forum.

Unless the post/thread is a "moderation no-brainer": such as a Member advertising in the general Forum - I am involved in any moderation activity of any consequence. (Now and then I'm accused of letting my "Rogue Moderators" run the forum.)

If a post/thread is "gray" - the first Moderator that notices it will open a discussion in the Admin Forum and leave the post/thread visible on the Forum. (This often happens when a thread looks like it's "gonna go bad.") Then, as the thread progresses, if it goes downhill, action is or isn't taken depending the collective feedback from the Moderating Staff.

If a post/thread is "dark gray" - it will be edited or "invisibilized" while a discussion is opened in the Admin Forum, and those involved are PM'd. As in the previous example - a course of action will not be decided until after the post/thread is discussed in the Admin Forum, and the best moderation action, if any, is determined by the Moderating Staff.

To sum up - if your post or thread has been moderated you can be sure it was discussed in the Admin Forum and the action taken was the result of the overwhelming opinion of the Moderating Staff. If a clear decision cannot be reached, no action will be taken.

I wanted to clarify this for a couple reasons. I've heard from a few Members - realistically, approximately .001% of the total membership ;) - that feel the Moderating Staff are not accountable for their actions. This is absolutely not true. Every Moderator reports and records any activity worthy of mention in the Admin Forum.

Over the years, my workload has steadily increased - I don't have near the "forum perusing time" I used to. I still log on almost every day; although, due to the Forum's current size and activity, often my Forum time is used up by Admin duties. But I'm still here, trying to keep the thing running as I originally intended.

If you're a fan of the Forum in general - please thank your favorite Moderator. Because without their continued efforts I would have given up on many of the individual Forums a long time ago.

I'd like to thank all the Moderators and especially all the Members who continue to support the Forums with helpful guidance and insights!

Thank you,

Brian

I for one appreciate the administation and moderation of this site. I think because of it we don't have alot of back and forth bickering. that ends up getting personal. I've seen it, and don't particularly like it. Anyone can be 10 ft tall and bullet proof in the dim glow of a computer monitor. But I digress.

Thanks for your efforts, guys and gals.

Brian, thanks for inviting us into your world.

FWIW

dj

Thanks for the info, Brian! Compared to several other forums I've been on, this one runs so much more smoothly, and is so much more useful... all attributable to the Mod staff!

It's easy for folks to get upset if their post disappears - good for them to know the reasons and that it generally isn't arbitrary, etc...

Best Mods = Best Forum... Seems pretty simple to me from where I sit. The threads I have seen vanish.. I never missed em. ;)

I have to say that this forum is (almost) the only one worth perusing on the 'net, IMHO. The membership here is not only the most knowledgeable, but also the most gracious and well-mannered I've seen. As an educator, I can assure you that the climate of a classroom is directly related to the personality of the teacher who leads it; it can be either relaxed and full of shared knowledge or a screaming madhouse filled with bickering. The same thing applies here. Brian, without the awesome atmosphere established by you and all the moderators, this would be a very different place to visit. In your forums, I feel totally comfortable and welcome to learn. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!!!

Brian/Moderating staff -- Add my name to the list of folks who appreciate what you do here. Inviting us into your house and allowing us to exploit the collective wisdom found here has benefited me greatly in this sport we all love so much, and in areas not even remotely related to shooting.

Thanks to your combined efforts the signal-to-noise ratio found here out-classes just about any where I've been on the 'net.

...Mark

I love this place! There are few other forums that I frequent anymore. It's a moderated forum, which keeps the quality up there. I'm not sure why some people have a problem with that. Everyone's free to start their own yournamehere.com or a blog if they don't want to be moderated. ;)

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I really appreciate it! And I'm sure the Mods do as well. Their job can be pretty thankless most of the time.

be

This is great information. It is always enlightening to know how things work in the background.

Thanks goes out to all those who make this place a reality. I spend some time on other boards and the time spent there makes me realize how wonderful this site is.

Thanks for a great job to the Moderator team, your efforts are very much appreciated.

Rick

In an age of seriously declining civility this forum is the best example on the net of what it means to “mind your manners”. Thanks to all the gals and guys that make it possible and thanks to Brian for letting us BE together.

David C

Well said, well put, well done. Thanks, Brian.

Yes, this is still one of the best places online for all kinds of reasons.

And one of the reasons our local Oregon forum works so well is it was actually modeled, in principal, after THIS forum. I kid you not. And it works just as well. There's more than just 'shooting tips' going on at BE.com..... B)

My hats off to you Brian and the rest of the Moderator staff. This is the only forum I've visited more than a couple of times. The reason is the quality of information and the way it's presented. Nobody minds when I ask questions and everyone is so helpful and informative. Couldn't ask for a better site and that's a tribute to the hard work the moderators do to keep things going smoothly.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

:goof: This is what I found before I made a new post after using the search function.

I was riding with the Brown Dog and the concept of moderators jumping threads that they are not moderators of to close threads was discussed. I know sometimes it looks like a Hijack

<_<

Jamie,

Virtually all of us have global powers --- meaning we're tasked with moderating activity anywhere on the board. That's a little different from having volunteered to take a lead position in moderating a specific forum, which we all also have. In fact, every time we talk about creating another forum, one of the topics discussed is just who is going to volunteer to spend some time in there each day, reading and if necessary moderating, because no one of us can be everywhere.....

<_< Powers , I knew it! I bet the Moderators have their computers sitting up on a tall podium like Mr Scrooge

Wrong kind of powers Jamie. More like Austin, less like Scrooge.

Wrong kind of powers Jamie. More like Austin, less like Scrooge.

So they do a little dance when they close one? Oh Yea-Ya } ! Close It Baby! { Yes Cullose it

Same dance you do when issue a procedural or a DQ to a shooter... :(

Same dance you do when issue a procedural or a DQ to a shooter... :(

OK thats mean, I feel a bruise coming up :mellow: I think you need a 1/2 Box of Crispy Cream donuts

I have posted things that were out of line :(

And I have seen mods post things that were out of line :(

All of us are subject to making mistakes and all of us have been, and will continue to be imperfect.

Respect and patience are required of both sides...especially when we disagree.

Just as a parent takes no pleasure in disciplining a child..I doubt the mods enjoy having to correct a member.

Just by reading a few words in a post, its very hard to really understand the intent of the person posting.

I see people misinterpret each others posts on a regular basis.

The mods have cut me some slack from time to time.

I am going to play nice...and do the same :)

Jim

Yep. If you have 2,000 posts...every so often you are going to have one that drifts over the line.

Just like shooting a match. If you are out there every month, you are going to have a mike, foot fault, forget to do a mandatory reload, or even break the 180 during a stumble. We even get a few that want to twirl their proverbial gun on their finger. And, we get some that think every mike is a double and they ought to be allowed to fault the line because they didn't gain an advantage. :)

Mostly we get good people and good sportsmen. They don't just complain about stage design and officiating...they get in there and help with setup and tear down. If they earn a procedural, they eat it and put it behind them and get on with the next thing.

We don't have it too bad. :) If we did...we could all just go over to Glock Talk, arf, or wherever. :blink:

"Thanks for the feedback everyone - I really appreciate it! And I'm sure the Mods do as well. Their job can be pretty thankless most of the time.

be"

It's not so much 'thankless' as it is 'endless'. :D

Yep. If you have 2,000 posts...every so often you are going to have one that drifts over the line.

Just like shooting a match. If you are out there every month, you are going to have a mike, foot fault, forget to do a mandatory reload, or even break the 180 during a stumble. We even get a few that want to twirl their proverbial gun on their finger. And, we get some that think every mike is a double and they ought to be allowed to fault the line because they didn't gain an advantage. :)

Mostly we get good people and good sportsmen. They don't just complain about stage design and officiating...they get in there and help with setup and tear down. If they earn a procedural, they eat it and put it behind them and get on with the next thing.

We don't have it too bad. :) If we did...we could all just go over to Glock Talk, arf, or wherever. :blink:

Yep...I must have had 5 that drifted over the line....@ 2k per drift...yep, that is 5 alright... B)

Question?

How or where can I find info on moving posts?

Charlie

Edited by cdrissel