Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cz-sp01 Shadow

rubberneck

I was just voer at CZ's website and it looks like they have added some new products. The most interesting to my eye was their new version of the SP01 designed by Angus Hobdell just for IPSC production. Looks like it is just what I am looking for in my next production gun.

I wonder how good the trigger will be out of the box.

http://czusa.com/01.detail.php?id=74

Does the shadow still need to sent to Angus or matt for a trigger job?

I don't know the real answer to this, but I'd suspect yes - looks like it's a regular SP-01 w/ all the typical upgrades that you'd get from Angus. But, there's the whole matter of liability, etc - I'd suspect that they've left the trigger job as a normal factory trigger...

Does the shadow still need to sent to Angus or matt for a trigger job?

I don't know the real answer to this, but I'd suspect yes - looks like it's a regular SP-01 w/ all the typical upgrades that you'd get from Angus. But, there's the whole matter of liability, etc - I'd suspect that they've left the trigger job as a normal factory trigger...

The lighter hammer spring they install does a lot to lighten and smooth out the double action pull..the single action is pretty decent too...

Angus and Matt does some other neat things to make the trigger better too..

Yes, three versions of SP 01's are new 2006 CZ USA items. The SP 01 Shadow is a custom shop version with the upgrades Angus has been installing on the ones he's sold for the past few months. The other two are a standard model and a tactical model.

I noticed that it is missing the lanyard loop. Does this mean that the same part could be installed on a regular SP-01? THanks.

Mechanically...Yes...the CZ75 plug fits the SP01...so you can replace it..

Rules- wise..you should be able to..as it is a part that comes from another production legal gun..the CZ75b and the CZ85C

• 2 weeks later...

the SP01 is same grip size as the CZ75/85 with the beavertail of the SA model...

from what I understand..the CZ97 is a bit bigger..not sure how it compares to the TS model

the SP01 is very nice to handle..and grips very easily..

SP-01 has the same grip frame as a regular 75 with the addition of a heavy dust cover with rails. The wood grips come standard on the Shadow rather than the black plastic you are used to seeing on 75's. I have a set of factory walnuts on my 75 Single Action much nicer than the plastic grips.

SP-01 is not the large size of the CZ 97 in 45acp. Main problem (I had) on the 97 was the long DA trigger travel rather than the size of the frame. The TS is a larger frame than a regular 75 but the SA trigger's travel is short and a much easier reach.

Edited by Middle Man

SP-01 has the same grip frame as a regular 75 with the addition of a heavy dust cover with rails.

The SP-01 and the Shadow variant are aluminum frame guns, and the dustcover is also made of aluminum. Therefore, this pistol doesn't fit the IDPA definition of heavy dustcover and therefore can still be used in IDPA shooting.

The upswept beavertail on the SP-01 makes a huge difference in the way the gun feels in my hand at least. I have always like the CZ for what it was, a decent gun that was was reliable, but that was about it.

When I went looking for a production gun I checked them all out, Sig, S&W, XD's etc and once I got a chance to handle a P01 (same grip) I was sold and ordered my SP01 the next day. The feel to me is great, the balance with the full length dust cover and the upswept beavertail really make the gun. Other than the controls it is hard to say that it is the same gun as a 75/85.....the easiest way to explain the difference in the beavertail is if you have ever had a Colt with the duckbill style beavertail, the one that goes down and then changed to a upswept style.....well it is like that, night and day.

The trigger did stink out of the box, but mine is with Angus right not getting that taken care of, and changing to the CZ competition style as well.

I have put about 1000 rounds through it before sending it, with zero problems. Accuracy was great right out of the box. The attached targets are from the first time out with it, doing some doubles.

post-2563-1140574506.jpg

post-2563-1140574528.jpg

post-2563-1140574600.jpg

post-2563-1140574612.jpg

post-2563-1140574623.jpg

Edited by fortyfiveshooter

The SP-01 and the Shadow variant are aluminum frame guns, and the dustcover is also made of aluminum. Therefore, this pistol doesn't fit the IDPA definition of heavy dustcover and therefore can still be used in IDPA shooting.

CZ websight list the weight at 1180 G, Thats 41.62 Oz, and mentions it is a steel frame

Newly shaped and robust frame made from steel

I belive the "Shadow" has some "Angus touches" and is also steel.

CZ websight list the weight at 1180 G, Thats 41.62 Oz, and mentions it is a steel frame

Newly shaped and robust frame made from steel

I belive the "Shadow" has some "Angus touches" and is also steel.

The SP-01 and Shadow are both Steel, my apologies. I thought the SP-01 was just a scaled up P-01 which is an aluminum framed compact.

SP-01 has the same grip frame as a regular 75 with the addition of a heavy dust cover with rails.

True, I should have said tactical rail dustcover rather than "heavy". ;)

Just "heavy" is somewhat lacking in descriptive power...

Edited by Middle Man