Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

model 17 vs. 34

spook

To all glock owners. If one wants to build a limited-class all-out glock in 9mm, is there a real advantage to the 34 instead of the plain old model 17? I'm thinking of trigger work, funnel, bo-mar, bar-sto etc. Will the 0.7" difference in barrel length make any difference at all?

Thanks

Pat,

Maybe his club is like mine, and allows double-dipping.  The Glock in 9mm allows you to shoot two classes with no change except short-loading the magazines (or using 10-shot tubes.)  Maybe he has a source of free 9mm ammo.  Maybe he is recoil-sensitive and the 9mm is all he can handle.  Maybe he just loves the Glock.  Maybe we should ask him.

Why?

That reminds me of a topic that should go in the hate file.

At one club I used to belong to there was a dork who basically ran the club 'cuz no one had the stones to stand up to him. He would shoot the club IPSC matches twice (or more). He set up the club rules to allow that. You could shoot one run in each division. So he would strap on his Glock 17 shooting minor, with little mods done to it, call it 'Open' and shoot a run. Then strap on his Glock 22, shooting major,  kitted out the same, same sights, trigger etc., in the same holster etc., and call it Standard. Then proceed  to tell every one what an expert he was with  'Stock' guns. Just look at his stock score...what a knob.

Pat  

Having used both a 17 and a 34 I think the 34 is the way to go for two reasons: Longer sight radius and different balance.  Because the 17 and 34 slides weigh the same (Glock cut a lightening oval in the top of the 34 slide so that both guns could use the same recoil springs) the 34 feels slightly lighter on the muzzle end.  I find that I can transition between targets faster and am less likely to overshoot the A zone with a 34.  You also get the 3.5 lb. connector, extended slide release and extended mag release already on the gun.  Let us know how it works out/ what you decide to go with.  

OK, here's why. I am now shooting a HK P7M13 in 9mm for production. I love the P7. But now I want to compete in standard class IPSC. I can't go and modify my P7 (no aftermarket parts) and it only holds 13 rnds. I want a gun which I can get all the gear for, but a 1911 is a little too expensive right now. I know about the powerfloor thing, but right now I am still in university and I can't afford to spend all my money on the more expensive .40 ammo (even when reloading) + I want to buy only one more gun for now.

Another thing is that I would like to practice for serious competition, in which I hope to participate when I'm done with my education.

To keep it short and simple: School is the reason.

Another thing is that I live in the Netherlands and there's no hi-cap restriction, so maybe a 9mm would have a slight advantage in magazine capacity.

Guess that about summs it up.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

You could buy a 9mm barrell  for a Glock 35, then later you would have the .40 when you can afford the ammo. You can't convert a 34 to a .40. It would cost you an extra barrell up front but may save you from buying a whole 'nother gun later.

Lighten the trigger up and go with better sights, particularily a smaller (narrower) front. Really not much else. Maybe a steel or heavy guide rod. I'm a little out of the loop on who's doing the best trigger work on Glocks now but as long as it is smooth and consistant it'll do. Sights that give more light on either side of the notch are better for calling shots, the ones that come with it are far to coarse for precisions shooting plates onstages like outer limits or showdown.

Pat