Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heinie sight serrations

DBChaffin

What do you guys think?  I like the front sight serrations as they make it stand out.  But what about contrast and "ghosting" the rear sight.  Should the rear serrations be removed for a smooth surface (and reblued of course)?  I am thinking about doing this when I have the notch opened up a bit but can't decide.  Thanks for the help...

I would not do anything to the rear serations..... they are there by design for a better sight picture

try them first just the way they are..

you should not  be dissapointed  

(Edited by DRG at 6:26 pm on July 8, 2001)

On front, I prefer a heavy bead blast, then an application of "soot" from a Bic lighter.  On some of my earlier 1911's I serrated, and had problems with shaving leather from my 1AT holster as well as problems getting the serration lines to break cleanly at the top of the sight, which exaggerated rather than cured the elevation problem.  For rear, serrations are fine, just radius the sharp edges.  I have Heinies on my G35, but Trijicons on my G27 and G23. For my competition pistols, I try for a .210 tall front, .090 wide.  For a carry gun go with the SlantPro.  regards

Les,

Where do you get the narrow front sight (.090) for the Glock?  Heinie doesn't want to make one less than .125, and George at EGW is searching for the way to make them en masse.  

There is another thread about that topic on the (Glock) board.  If you have a source, can you post there?

Kyle... I'm lucky in that I have a friend that builds custom 1911 pistols on the side, and he lets me use his milling machine and other equipment. I just chuck the slide in the vise and take a couple of cuts to thin the sight down. A couple of guys like a short step ala. Todd Jarret , mostly thick for fast acquisition, and thinner at the top for longer plate shots.   We uses a heavy bastard file with a piece of mica (laminate) glued to the handle end, that way the mica rides on the top of the back sight, and you get a perfectly flat (and parallel) cut on the front sight when you do the final prep.  Tape the area and bead blast with a little touch up blue... regards

Kyle, you can also take the Heinie sight and rub it against 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the sides, watching the mounting "oval" as you go.  Do both sides, then finish with 600 grit and you can get it down to .115 from the stock .125"   It is a noticeable difference but is not .090 for sure.  Just touch up with some cold blue and it works well.   I wouldn't go any narrower with this method though.  

Re, Heinie front sight width. A friend milled one down to .100" while leaving enough of the original width @ the bottom to leave a "base" for the slide stud {resembles an upside down "T" now}. So far have not noticed/had any problem with mounting rigidity.