Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock power factor question

Jeff Gonzales

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does everybody have a rule book?  I think the rules are also listed on the USPSA web site.  www.uspsa.org

Here is what mine says:

APPENDIX E

US DIVISIONS

OPEN

Major power factor -- 165 minimum

Minor power factor --  125 minimum

Minimum bullet weight -- 112 grain for MAJOR pf

minimum cartridge 9x19mm

.40 min for major factor -- NO

LIMITED

major -- 165

minor  -- 125

minimum bullet weight -- NO

.40 min. for major pf --  YES

--------------------

Bottom line.  In the US you need a 40 to shoot major in Limited (--NO-- comps or red dots) class.

Doug, I am looking up a definative answer about 9x19 making major in Open.  Email me if you have more questions.  flexmoney@aol.com

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:15 am on Sep. 25, 2001)

Does everybody have a rule book?  I think the rules are also listed on the USPSA web site.  www.uspsa.org

Here is what mine says:

APPENDIX E

US DIVISIONS

OPEN

Major power factor -- 165 minimum

Minor power factor --  125 minimum

Minimum bullet weight -- 112 grain for MAJOR pf

minimum cartridge 9x19mm

.40 min for major factor -- NO

LIMITED

major -- 165

minor  -- 125

minimum bullet weight -- NO

.40 min. for major pf --  YES

--------------------

Bottom line.  In the US you need a 40 to shoot major in Limited (--NO-- comps or red dots) class.

Doug, I am looking up a definative answer about 9x19 making major in Open.  Email me if you have more questions.  flexmoney@aol.com

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:15 am on Sep. 25, 2001)

Kath,

I know you did not write the rule book, however, you did say it was in some rule book:

"But it's not an IPSC rule, and that's an IPSC rulebook, capiche :-) "

I did not mean to attack you. I just wanted to make sure we were both looking at the same set of rules.

I have to agree with Flexmoney. My rule book says 9x19 is legal.

The only problem I have is if there are rules that are not in the book and I realize that is not your fault either.........

Kath,

I know you did not write the rule book, however, you did say it was in some rule book:

"But it's not an IPSC rule, and that's an IPSC rulebook, capiche :-) "

I did not mean to attack you. I just wanted to make sure we were both looking at the same set of rules.

I have to agree with Flexmoney. My rule book says 9x19 is legal.

The only problem I have is if there are rules that are not in the book and I realize that is not your fault either.........

Shooter Grrl,

I sent him an email yesterday about this very topic.  And I read the "minutes" from one of the meetings.  (April 11, 2001 ??)

I will post his "call" when I receive it.  It is very odd that something that has been around for over 10 years is not in the rule book.

Shooter Grrl,

I sent him an email yesterday about this very topic.  And I read the "minutes" from one of the meetings.  (April 11, 2001 ??)

I will post his "call" when I receive it.  It is very odd that something that has been around for over 10 years is not in the rule book.

The problem is twofold, Rules and Physics.

The Rules:  You can't shoot a 9x19 and declare Major in USPSA or IPSC.  Even with the 165PF.  You have to shoot it Minor regardless of which Division you're in.

The Physics:  You can't get a 9x19 up to Major (even the new 165PF) without going waaaay past the SAAMI specs.  Let's assume that the SAAMI specs are deliberately soft to save wear and tear on ancient 9mm's.  The 9x21 loading data makes Major, but the pressures are in the region of 9mm+P++.  Think about it, you're taking loading data/pressure curves for a 38 Super which are already at 36K or more, and then decreasing the case capacity by .1" or so.  Even with the slowest, densest powder you can get into a 9x21, you're probably running around 50K minimum.  Even with a longer barrel.  The primer, case and mechanism weren't designed for it.

In a few more iterations of powder development, the makers may well come up with powders that deliver Major velocities in the 9mm case within the SAAMI 35K limit.  Until then, this route is closed to you.

The problem is twofold, Rules and Physics.

The Rules:  You can't shoot a 9x19 and declare Major in USPSA or IPSC.  Even with the 165PF.  You have to shoot it Minor regardless of which Division you're in.

The Physics:  You can't get a 9x19 up to Major (even the new 165PF) without going waaaay past the SAAMI specs.  Let's assume that the SAAMI specs are deliberately soft to save wear and tear on ancient 9mm's.  The 9x21 loading data makes Major, but the pressures are in the region of 9mm+P++.  Think about it, you're taking loading data/pressure curves for a 38 Super which are already at 36K or more, and then decreasing the case capacity by .1" or so.  Even with the slowest, densest powder you can get into a 9x21, you're probably running around 50K minimum.  Even with a longer barrel.  The primer, case and mechanism weren't designed for it.

In a few more iterations of powder development, the makers may well come up with powders that deliver Major velocities in the 9mm case within the SAAMI 35K limit.  Until then, this route is closed to you.

I emailed Michael Voigt - and yes, I got a response rather quickly!  He said

"1990 BOD decision is in effect at this point."

You can view the resolution in the July 1990 minutes on the USPSA Members webpage.  If someone wants to see it that's not a USPSA member, I'll copy it for you.

I did ask him if we could get this resolution in a more prominent place as you guys all had good points about it not being in the rulebook.

I've also asked BE if we could move this topic to the new USPSA rules forum to get it kick started :-)

I emailed Michael Voigt - and yes, I got a response rather quickly!  He said

"1990 BOD decision is in effect at this point."

You can view the resolution in the July 1990 minutes on the USPSA Members webpage.  If someone wants to see it that's not a USPSA member, I'll copy it for you.

I did ask him if we could get this resolution in a more prominent place as you guys all had good points about it not being in the rulebook.

I've also asked BE if we could move this topic to the new USPSA rules forum to get it kick started :-)

For what it worth--

If you want to shoot an Open Glock...

9x21 is legal and there are three loads listed in my Sierra manual that will do the job. (168.75 pf)  The OAL is 1.165 which should work fine in a small framed Glock.

I would NOT go reaming out a loose Glock chamber to get the headspace for 9x21.  Get an aftermarket barrel from someone who knows what they (and you) are doing.  KKM and Barsto come to mind.  I have talked with both.  They can and do make the barrels (and comps).

For a large framed Glock (G20) you can go with something along the lines of 9x23.  You can load longer in the large framed Glock.  The smaller framed guns won't feed longer bullets through the mags.

For what it worth--

If you want to shoot an Open Glock...

9x21 is legal and there are three loads listed in my Sierra manual that will do the job. (168.75 pf)  The OAL is 1.165 which should work fine in a small framed Glock.

I would NOT go reaming out a loose Glock chamber to get the headspace for 9x21.  Get an aftermarket barrel from someone who knows what they (and you) are doing.  KKM and Barsto come to mind.  I have talked with both.  They can and do make the barrels (and comps).

For a large framed Glock (G20) you can go with something along the lines of 9x23.  You can load longer in the large framed Glock.  The smaller framed guns won't feed longer bullets through the mags.

Although we have started a thread about thois in another topic i thought I should post what I learned on this thread too.

----------------

This is the word from John A.

Kyle,

There is a resolution by the BOD back in June of 1990 stating that 9 major

is not allowed.  This is still in effect and will not change until someone is

willing to put into writing that the pressures of this load are safe within

SAMMI specs.  Work is being done on this to clear the issue up, but at this

time, it is not allowed.

John

Although we have started a thread about thois in another topic i thought I should post what I learned on this thread too.

----------------

This is the word from John A.

Kyle,

There is a resolution by the BOD back in June of 1990 stating that 9 major

is not allowed.  This is still in effect and will not change until someone is

willing to put into writing that the pressures of this load are safe within

SAMMI specs.  Work is being done on this to clear the issue up, but at this

time, it is not allowed.

John

• 2 months later...

DT,

Believe it or not, a .40 Glock will feed and fire 9mm ammo.  I had an acquaintance who did this (accidentally).  Fortunately, the gun didn't blow up.  If it works on accident, it should work intentionally.

Eric