Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2006 Uspsa Nationals

hopalong

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pick it up today at 3:00 from my dealer hope the pictures did it justice. I will probably work on the trigger some and change the rear sight. I am not a big fan of the bobbed hammers. I like to be able to pull back a little after I put my clip in to see if the cylinder will spin. Just a nub would even work.

I have a 610 with a bobbed hammer and I just never got use to it. Oh well if I was a pro and did this for a living I would probably lose sleep over it but instead I will enjoy and hope the nut behind the trigger doesn't come loose. B)

Just accepted my slot from the waiting list, so mark another Iowa boy at the Nationals. :D

Carmoney

Do I need to do anything to get squadded with the revo squad? :blink:

I just picked up my new 625 Performance Center that I got off of Gunbroker so it looks like I will retire my 610 5" even though I never did anything with it except get classified. For those of you drooling over my 610 it took me forever to find one and I won't tell what I got it for because it is a sin compared to what they are going for now. This will just retire to my safe along with my RPM 610.

I just wrote down "revolver squad" on my squad list sheet when I sent my registration in.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Nationals entries.....

1 Redmist10

2 Marmot452

3 Aerosigns

4 D.Carden

5 Revoman

6 Keith

7 Jerry M.

8 Sweeney........I know he has a slot, but have not heard from him in a long while.

9 Carmoney

10 Carmoney

11 DSmith

12 TomMainus

13 Waltermitty

14 Master Walsh

15 R112Mercer

16 Sloflyr

17 Bill Nesbitt

18 J.Baqakis

19 Smithy45

20 Barretone

21 Double Action

22 Lefty45

Well, looks like things are looking up for the Wheelgunner division. :)

Might be sorry I sent my entry in for the Ltd Divison...........Nahhhhhh ;)

Still have to hear back from several others that normally shoot.....Could be a new record...by a good bit.

Maybe we'll see some international flavor.........haven't heard from Spook and Richardo in a while........

Rudy?

Dillard?.....He told me his goal this year was to make Production Master....Good luck Dillard

See ya'll there......even though I'll be running a bottom feeder. ;)

Hopalong

Edit to remove a double post. :blink:

HOP

Edited by hopalong

It's going to go to Redmist10's head that you put him in first place. :lol:

I guess I'll need to practice to move up from 17th place. ;)

This looks like it will be a fun time.

My wife won't be able to make it. On my slot I put that I wanted squaded with fun people. Do you suppose I will be with other revolver shooters? :lol:

How many on a squad at the Nationals? Will we need a Gold and a Silver squad? :rolleyes:

It's going to go to Redmist10's head that you put him in first place. :lol:

I guess I'll need to practice to move up from 17th place. ;)

This looks like it will be a fun time.

My wife won't be able to make it. On my slot I put that I wanted squaded with fun people. Do you suppose I will be with other revolver shooters? :lol:

How many on a squad at the Nationals? Will we need a Gold and a Silver squad? :rolleyes:

Last year the squad was 20 people, but we were constantly having to wait on the bottom-feeder squad in front of us. We should be able to shoot 25-30 easy and still have the squad ahead of us looking over their shoulders. :P

Of course, rules is rules. B)

So how about any tips to be ready for, from you old timers.

How many stages per day, things to be sure to bring, etc.

Anything to make the days a little smoother.

Jim

I don't think I qualify as an "old timer", but I am doing some things differently this year than I did on my first trip last year.

1) I'm splitting a golf cart with a shooting buddy. The fatigue factor for a match this long (and in this terrain) were significant for me last year. We also ended up stacked up behind other squads (only on stages with no shade at the wrong end of the range) where it was obvious we were going to have to wait quite a while for the stage to open up. With the distances it just wasn't worth the hike all the way down the hill to go check scores, get a pop, snoop around, then have to hike back up.

2) I have reservations already made at the Ice House so I won't have a 30 mile drive to the range every morning. If your reservations aren't already in, it may be too late.

3) I have a back up gun so if something big breaks, I won't be done. I don't know what I expected to see for vendors at "The Nationals" but I was underwhelmed generally, and Revo shooters were SOL in particular for parts and support. You might have been able to pick up a kydex holster, but if you needed a cylinder stop, a side plate screw, a sight repair, etc, I sure didn't see any available. If you're only bringing one gun, your spares and tools kit will have to cover any issue that may arise.

Of course the standard list of things to bring for all these matches apply. Get some all-day bug spray and sun block. And I don't mean any of that candy-ass Avon skin-so-soft sort of stuff, you need to buy the industrial strength saber-tooth-tick formula where the little buggers explode like they hit a bug zapper when they climb your leg. They have special jump qualified Airbourne Ticks that jump off the trees from above. I am not kidding.

Be sure your ammo is making your declared power factor, there *will* be a test.

Number of stages per day varies according to how your squad falls into the schedule. I think last year our first stage was Chrono, followed by a break or something silly like that, so we only shot like 5 actual stages on the first day, then the rest over two days. There may have been some reshoots Saturday but I didn't see that. We had the awards and were rolling home by about 1pm Saturday.

Since the match is in September, instead of July, the heat and sun should be better. Just get your good attitude on and get ready to be tested. One of the elements of these long, multi day matches is that some of us have 3-4 matches occur within the match. You'll have to be able to trash a stage, shake it off, and shoot the next one like the disaster never happened; likewise, if you burn a stage down, that will have to go into the memory box and the next stage will have to be shot as if it's another match that has no relation to the other stages.

As Yogi Berra might say, "90% of the match is half mental." This experience will be about getting your mind right, over and over, no matter what just happened on the last stage, (or in the middle of a stage) and doing your best. You and I will not win this match, but if the scores at the end show I shot my class against the best in the world, I will be delighted. :D

Jim

I don't think I qualify as an "old timer", but I am doing some things differently this year than I did on my first trip last year.

1) I'm splitting a golf cart with a shooting buddy. The fatigue factor for a match this long (and in this terrain) were significant for me last year. We also ended up stacked up behind other squads (only on stages with no shade at the wrong end of the range) where it was obvious we were going to have to wait quite a while for the stage to open up. With the distances it just wasn't worth the hike all the way down the hill to go check scores, get a pop, snoop around, then have to hike back up.

2) I have reservations already made at the Ice House so I won't have a 30 mile drive to the range every morning. If your reservations aren't already in, it may be too late.

3) I have a back up gun so if something big breaks, I won't be done. I don't know what I expected to see for vendors at "The Nationals" but I was underwhelmed generally, and Revo shooters were SOL in particular for parts and support. You might have been able to pick up a kydex holster, but if you needed a cylinder stop, a side plate screw, a sight repair, etc, I sure didn't see any available. If you're only bringing one gun, your spares and tools kit will have to cover any issue that may arise.

Of course the standard list of things to bring for all these matches apply. Get some all-day bug spray and sun block. And I don't mean any of that candy-ass Avon skin-so-soft sort of stuff, you need to buy the industrial strength saber-tooth-tick formula where the little buggers explode like they hit a bug zapper when they climb your leg. They have special jump qualified Airbourne Ticks that jump off the trees from above. I am not kidding.

Number of stages per day varies according to how your squad falls into the schedule. I think last year our first stage was Chrono, followed by a break or something silly like that, so we only shot like 5 actual stages on the first day, then the rest over two days. There may have been some reshoots Saturday but I didn't see that. We had the awards and were rolling home by about 1pm Saturday.

Since the match is in September, instead of July, the heat and sun should be better. Just get your good attitude on and get ready to be tested. One of the elements of these long, multi day matches is that some of us have 3-4 matches occur within the match. You'll have to be able to trash a stage, shake it off, and shoot the next one like the disaster never happened; likewise, if you burn a stage down, that will have to go into the memory box and the next stage will have to be shot as if it's another match that has no relation to the other stages.

As Yogi Berra might say, "90% of the match is half mental." This experience will be about getting your mind right, over and over, no matter what just happened on the last stage, (or in the middle of a stage) and doing your best. You and I will not win this match, but if the scores at the end show I shot my class against the best in the world, I will be delighted. :D

Amen Brother Waltermitty...all of the above is very sage advice. Pasa can be a cruel place. At least it is in September this year, and not July!!! :wacko:

Edited by Barrettone

Jim

Add one cheetah from Mi Just got my slot

I'll be 610ing with no fumbled reloads

Amen Brother Waltermitty...all of the above is very sage advice. Pasa can be a cruel place. At least it is in September this year, and not July!!! :wacko:

Add 1 Cheetah from Mi

I'll take first over Redmist10

It appears the later you log in the better place you come in.

I'll throw another curve at you guys. I shot a Nationals at PASA in late September one year and a cold front came thru with a cold rain. You had to pry your fingers off of the grips after a course. There wasn't a coat/jacket to be found closer than St. Louis.

Good Luck to all the Intrepid Competitiors heading there. Enjoy the ride at the Big Show, you earned it.

Dave

Psky,

We not going to see your smiling face there?????

May be still a chance to get a slot on the wait list. <_<

You will get to see all kinds of neat stuff, like dillards moonclip holder, Tom might let you play with his gun (I wanted to try it at Mississippi but it just didn't work out that way).

You might even get to see me with one of those silly bottom feeding, more than 6 capacity, reciprocating, fancy smancy Limited guns. ;) ....Notice I did not say kicking some butt with it. <_<

Any way, sure would be nice to see you and a whole bunch more there.

Hopalong

Tom might let you play with his gun (I wanted to try it at Mississippi but it just didn't work out that way).

Hopalong

........need I say it?????

Add 1 Cheetah from Mi

I'll take first over Redmist10

It appears the later you log in the better place you come in.

No fair Cheetahs, you passed me a year ago. You cheat by practicing! :lol:

Hope to see you there. We're staying at the Holiday Inn (Hannibal, MO).

THIS IS MY WEAPON, THIS IS MY GUN!

ONE IS FOR SHOOTING, ONE IS FOR FUN!

Repeat this while running in a circle around the squad until the next stage is complete. :o

Been there, done that, got the DD Form 214.

Edited by Waltermitty

Psky,

We not going to see your smiling face there?????

May be still a chance to get a slot on the wait list. <_<

Hopalong

Nope, can't swing it. Having a hard enough time getting to the Local Matches.

Been there 3 times (with a bottom feeder no less), miss the action but not the time it eats

up.

Edited by pskys2