Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock

fred c

i have been shooting a les baer premeir 2 in 45acp.

about a year ago i shot a glock 19, and shot it great.

today i did the same thing with a different glock 19.

stone cold, both times i shot the glocks better than

than current and previous 1911s. i love 1911s and i'm

still washing glock off my hands, but maybe i should

be shooting one of these? splain to me lucy, if you can?

I carry a glock 357, i love it, points great, shoots fantastic, however i shoot other guns faster. (mainly my beretta at this point). maybe you should buy a glock, you can get one in 40, it would be a major caliber, or you could just compete in the production division.

every shooter is different, and has different prefrences. shoot what feels best to you. and what you can shoot the best with.

THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS! I IMAGINE IT IS PARTLY

THAT 9MM IS EASIER TO SHOOT, BUT I WONDER IF IT

MIGHT ALSO BE SOMETHING LIKE THE GRIP ANGLE OF THE GLOCK. ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION IF AN ARCHED MAINSPRING HOUSING WOULD MAKE THE 1911 POINT/SHOOT BETTER OR WORSE OR JUST A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE?

I think mainspring housing on a 1911 is totally personal preference, based on feel and the size of your hands.  I have been told to point a 1911 without using the sights and fire a round at a target with different mainspring housings.  The one that hits closest to the center is the one you should go with.   Personally I can tell this just by "pointing" the gun and without ever needing to fire a round.  Experiment with all the parts/guns you can get your hands on and good luck!

Glocks seem to point unnaturally high for me so I sent two of them off to Arizona Response Systems for grip reductions...but that's another story.

As near as I can tell, there is no mainspring housing on the market that will make your Les Baer point the same as a Glock. I have a Les Baer PII with a wedge mainspring housing and it points a lot lower than a G22.

A couple of the guys I shoot with tell me my 1911 points way too low so they use Glocks. To each his own.

I shoot a Glock 20 (10mm) in competition.

In no way do I feel handicaped when I shoot against 1911 guys.

The Glocks grip angle is awkward if your not used to it!

Same as anything in life.

For all you that have a 1911 and a Glock do this little experiment:

Get them both out, check to see that they are unloaded and lay them both on the table.  Place the Glock on top of the 1911, both pointing in the same safe direction, making sure the center-line of the muzzles lines up perfectly each other.

With the bores of both guns even, look to see how much higher you can get your grip on a Glock then a 1911.  Your hand is much closer to the bore-axis on a Glock than a 1911.

This translates to less muzzle flip, as the leverage acting to break your wrist is more in-line with your arm.

Learn to shoot a Glock, learn to shoot it well.

Repeat after me: "GOTTAGETTAGLOCK...GOTTAGETTAGLOCK...GOTTAGETTAGLOCK..."

:-)

That's true as far as it goes. But a high-rise beavertail grip safety on the 1911 is going to close up that difference immensely - so much so it's debatable whether or not the Glock's slightly lower bore axis is going to be a major advantage, especially taking into account you've got a lot more weight in the steel framed 1911 to damp recoil. Six of one, half a dozen of the other in my experience.