Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock in "Front Sight"

cpty1

Just curious how many people plan on taking hammer and dremel to their Glock after the article on Dale's trigger work in "Front Sight"?  With the exception of the slide peening piece, the parts are cheap enough to experiment with and see what results can be obtained without worrying about any permanent or irreversible damage.

(I didn't get to read the first article in Front Sight, so take this with grain of salt if Dale already explained this in his article. )

Please consider this:  I've heard through the rumor mill that Dale Rhea "pre-crimps" his primers to get reliable ignition with the striker setup he described in Front Sight.  Need we talk about the obvious safety issues here...can you say "Slam Fire?"

If people are hell-bent on tightening up the slide to frame fit on thier Glocks, someone needs to make a fixture and set it up in a hydraulic press and do it right.  Not as sexy as the hammer, I know, but at least it will be controllable.  I have  a funny feeling that Glock is going to be selling a bunch of replacement slides here soon....

:-/

Also, before anybody goes beating the crap out of their Glock, look at Dale's scores and note the small differences between his "Stockmeister" scores and his "Unlimited" scores.  It's not as much as you'd expect and frankly I doubt that anyone besides a Master class shooter is going to get that much mileage out of the mods he described.  

For like $25, you can buy a 3lb disconnector and a New York 1 trigger spring and get what many Glock armorers regard as one of the better trigger setups.  I use this setup for competition.  During dry-firing, my sights stay rock-steady.  Not feather-light, but smooth and consistent.  It just rolls over like a revolver.  

FWIW,

Eric

Eric and Chris,

If anyone is interested in a light, smooth Glock trigger in a competition gun all it really takes is the installation of a 3.5 lb. connector with the standard trigger spring; a Wolff reduced power striker spring, and a Lightning Strike titanium striker safety plunger.  Those parts reduce the pull a little more than the connector by itself, they also smooth out the trigger pull so it's almost impossible to predict when the trigger will break.  Best of all, it requires no permanent modification of the gun, so if you decide you don't like the change you can undo it.  I will warn you that the reduced power striker spring may require you to use Federal primers for 100% reliable ignition.

Nik,

Thanks for the heads up.

Believe it or not, I really think I've hit Nirvana with the NY1 spring + the 3.5 connector.  People think I'm nuts when the try my gun, but *I* like it!  I think I have better control with the heavier spring.  

What's really odd though, is that when I'm shooting on Game Day, the trigger just seems to disappear.  It just fades into the background - I don't even know it's there.  So, life is good...I'm sticking with it.  Best of all, Nirvana only cost $25.

Eric

Nik,

Thanks for the heads up.

Believe it or not, I really think I've hit Nirvana with the NY1 spring + the 3.5 connector.  People think I'm nuts when they try my gun, but *I* like it!  I think I have better control with the heavier spring.  

What's really odd though, is that when I'm shooting on Game Day, the trigger just seems to disappear.  It just fades into the background - I don't even know it's there.  So, life is good...I'm sticking with it.  Best of all, Nirvana only cost $25.

Eric

(Edited by EricW at 10:41 am on Nov. 5, 2001)

There was no mention in the article of pre-crimping primers.  That's interesting.  The present trigger setup in my 35 is basically everything polished to a mirror finish with a reduced power striker spring.  It's OK, nothing great, as there is a definite hinge in the action on my gun, but like EricW said, on game day that disappears.  Once a shooter gets used to their particular setup I think this is true whether the gun has a 2 pound or a 6 pound break.  

Chris I will try to remember to bring my Glock so you can see the latest, but not the final, version trigger. I do not see the need to peen the rails. The proper way to peen them would be to use a spacer bar to prevent over peening. I tried reducing the width of the striker a while back, but really saw no reduction in pull or smoother operation. The greatest benefit is changing the profile of the trigger bar. My new trigger stop seems to be working well. I am not quite finished with what I hope to be the ultimate (at least for my feeble efforts) Glock trigger. Have had too many other guns to fix on my bench lately.

On the subject of slide frame fit...

I bought a new style frame for my older G20 in order to mount the C-More sight via the frames accessory rails.

After assembling the old slide to the new frame, I loaded the mag with 10 silvertips and fired away.

The gun siezed after the 4th round!

The slide was binding on the new frame's four steel rails.

Here I had the opportunity to "hand-fit" the slide to frame on a Glock?

After an hour of measuring and sanding, I had a very tight fit with no hoz. or vert. play.

What's "pre-crimping"?

We have the fortune of having Dale up here in the Seattle area.  I've picked his brain a few times when I had trigger/primer dilemas, but never a mention of this mysterious pre-crimp.

Pre-crimping is the rumor I heard from someone who shoots with Dale every now and then.  It may be true, it may be urban legend.  But, with all all the people having ignition problems with reduced power striker springs - it didn't surprise me.  My impression was that "pre-crimping" meant doming the primer surface inward so that the striker didn't have to push so far to ignite the round.

I thought I would throw that one out there just to see if anyone could verify it...

Eric