Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 improvements

cash

I shoot a G17 in idpa SSP.  The gun is all stock.  What do you recommend that I do to improve the performance of this gun.  ie. trigger, sites, spring, guide rod etc.

Or would another Glock model 34 or 35 be more suitable for this arena.

I realize that I have alot of improvement to do myself.

Buy a progressive reloader if you don't have one already.  A cheap supply of ammunition is the best addition you can make.  

If you're new, don't mess with anything yet.  The Glock's just dandy as it is.  Give it some time and see where you start to feel limited - then change that.  It doesn't sound like you're to that point yet.  In SSP, there's little that you CAN change and still be legal.  My numero uno gripe with the Glock is the mag release, but extended releases are a no-no in IPSC Production and SSP.  

You *will* want to dump those chintzy plastic sights.  There's lots of good ones to be had:  Heinie, Trijicon, even Meprolight has some respectable sights.

I shoot a stock G19 alongside guys with high-dollar Limited 10 pistols and have yet to feel like my equipment was what was holding me back.  I shoot production class, but always land somewhere in the middle of the pack in Lim10.  On a good day I can place just below the Open shooters.  

I'll bet you can do that and better with your stock 17!

Eric  

Double Ditto:  Get Brian's book!!  It is ESSENTIAL equipment.

Most metal sight for the Glock are good.  I use fixed sights b/c my loads don't have much drop, so my gun is easy to sight in.  I like the Trijicon's because they have more daylight.   Mep's are OK, but I don't like the front sight filling most of the notch.  

I have had a bad experience with TriLux sights, (rear didn't fit worth a damn) but all the other makes seem to be fine.  It's really hard to get a bad sight for a Glock these days.  Just pick one you like. They're all about the same price.

Eric