Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Loads Using Alliant Unique

IAN27

Hi, I have been reloading now for a couple of months, mainly 38 special and 45 colt. A friend has just purchased an STI Executive .40 S&W and as I can't work at the minute, I told him I would reload a pile of ammo for him. I am aware that the STI's feed better with longer cartridges and am wondering if anyone has any other tips for reloading for this pistol. I have bought some Frontier 180gr CMJ RNFP bullets and have plenty of Alliant Unique powder. I would appreciate it if anyone could advise me on loads using this.

Regards

Ian

Excellent bullets; I used them at last year's Nationals.

Make the OAL 1.180 to 1.200" with those bullets. Remember - you are loading for a 1911, not the shorter .40s that your reloaidn manual contemplates.

I tried Unique and I thought it was the worst, most dirty, smelly, temp sensitive powder ever. Better choices? Titegroup; Universal, N-320, even N330 or N340 - maybe even HP-38 or WSF or the hard kickin Power Pistol.

Excellent bullets; I used them at last year's Nationals.

Make the OAL 1.180 to 1.200" with those bullets. Remember - you are loading for a 1911, not the shorter .40s that your reloaidn manual contemplates.

I tried Unique and I thought it was the worst, most dirty, smelly, temp sensitive powder ever. Better choices? Titegroup; Universal, N-320, even N330 or N340 - maybe even HP-38 or WSF or the hard kickin Power Pistol.

Carlos,

That maybe explains why nobody seems to be using Unique. I'll have to get hold of some Titegroup and give that a go.Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Ian