Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock mags not seating properly

slik40

I have been shooting a model 35 for about a year in IPSC and have loved it so far.  The only problem I seem to be having (consistently inconsistent)is that on field courses when performing mag changes I cannot seem to seat the mags properly.  There are few things more frustrating than coming up on target, getting your first shot off, and then realizing the mag hasn't seated.

Having only shot IPSC for a year, I am not sure if this is an issue with me rushing the change (naw, can't be the shooter!), or whether the Glocks historically have issues seating quickly and easily.

I have heard suggestions ranging from cutting the springs back (didn't like the sounds of that one!) to changing base pads, to "give up the Glock and buy and REAL gun".  Has anyone else run into this?  Any suggestions?

slik40,

We need more info to help. Are you using a magwell? Are you using extended base pads? Are your mags hi-caps? How many rounds are you putting in your mags?

As far as I know Glocks do not have a history of this problem in a stock configuration but require a pretty good slap when you insert a full mag (remember how hard it was to put that last bullet in?).

If you are using base pads and a mag well you must be sure the base pads are not hitting the mag well preventing insertation. If you are using a mag well with no base pads it is hard to put them in far enough.

All base pads do not work with all mag wells. I have read that the "THE" mag well works with most base pads. The Dawson base pads also seem to be real popular.

I run my 35 in production so I don't use any base pads or mag well but with the 10rd mags loaded with 10rds it requires a stiff slap to insure seating.

The 10rnd mags are pretty tight, check your mag button, When I shot a Glock...way, way back when I first started... I found that with tight fully compressed mags going in and out of the gun all the time, the plastic mag catch wore down. I did two things, installed an aluminum mag catch, and when practicing, loaded the mag short by a round or two...granted that was back in the hi-cap days so I had a few to spare

Work on the motion of your reload make sure that as you bring the mag and gun together that you seat it firmly. Do it close to your body, as opposed to at arms length where you have no leverage.

Since I'm local to you, let me know some time when you are at one of the matches and I'll have a look.

Pat

I have only been shooting for a short time but I never have a problem seating a 10 round mag in  a stock glock 17 or 22.  That is, if I can get the mag started right  I really envy those of you who seat a mag before the ejected mag hits the ground. Now a G30 makes me look really funny at times when the mag goes shooting off into the heavens

My non-drop-free hicaps swell a bit when full.  You have seat them solid.  (Sound off like you gotta pair!)

If you are using hicaps, stay away from the metal mag releases.  Metal against plastic doesn't work.  Those hicaps are too expensive to take a chance on.  

I haven't seen any trouble with Glock mags (other than operator error).  You might try taking your slide off, then loading your mags while looking down from the top.  Try them with different amounts of bullets in them to see if/when they hang up.  Keep the slide in a different room so you don't shoot anything.

Are all your mags giving you trouble or just a few?

The mags in question are the drop free mags, 10 rounders with no base pads or mag well (I had picked up the California Competition Works mag well, but hesitated when I noticed the seating issue).

And I wish I had/could isolate if there are ones in particular that are causing problems. The seating with the slide off (WAY OFF!) sounds like a good idea.  

My other thought was to add the mag well in combination with the Lightning Strike base pads, hoping the added length of the basepads will help in seating (eliminating what appears to be operator error). Anybody see any conflict between this magwell and the LS basepads?

(Edited by slik40 at 8:35 am on Sep. 4, 2001)

I don't have any personal experience with the Lightning Strike basepads, but I have heard they are down the list of Glock basepads.  I have Taylor Freelance and Gram's pads and they both work well.  Dawson's and the T.H.E. pads are supposed to be good as well.  There is a thread about basepads at http://www.glocktalk.com if you are interested.  

Slik,

I would hold off on adding the magwell or even the extended pads.  Lets get this problems figured out first.

Number your mags and do that test with the slide in the other room.  Use different amounts of bullets.  Let us know how it comes out.

I understand that new 10 rounders can sometimes be hard to load up all ten rounds.  Maybe the springs need broke in some so that there is less tension when you seat a full mag (bullets aginst the slide).

Be sure to follow Pat's advise:

Work on the motion of your reload make sure that as you bring the mag and gun together that you seat it firmly. Do it close to your body, as opposed to at arms length where you have no leverage.

I don't load my Limited mags (+5's) to full capacity because of this.  A blown reload kills.

When I first started shooting the G20 in production with the 10rd mags, I did have the problem where after a mag change I'd only get one round off.  This due to the mag not being fully seated.

I had to get into the habbit of "palming" the mags.  What I mean by this is to actually continue the mag insertion motion with a solid push on the bottom of the mag pad.  Not a seperate motion, but a continuation of the insertion motion.  Just concentrate on applying as much force as you can with your palm at the end of the motion.

It's also possible that your mag catch is deformed.  It may not be a sharp, mag-catching angle anymore.  T.H.E. makes a real nice extended version.

• 1 month later...

I know this started out as a mag seating issue, and for that I would say change your mag release button if you haven't already.  

You guys have been talking about extended base pads.  Well, I have been using the new Arredondo base pads for about three weeks now and so far I am very impressed.  I can put all 20 rnds in quite easily, the tubes don't swell so you can do a speed load without a problem, they come off for cleaning very easily but can not pop off when dropped.  The plastic is very sturdy and won't break even when dropped on concrete.  Give them a try!!!

Debbie

Debbie,

I like them too.  I've got to order a couple more.  Then I've got to go to some matches in Pennsylvania, so I can pull the plugs out of the tubes.  However they give me just enough length so that I can reliably chenge mags without fumbling one of the tubes.....

TDean,

They don't come with followers.  You use your stock Glock followers.  You get the tube extension, base pad, spring and a very nifty little pinch tool to allow you to easily remove the base pad.  Reliability has been flawless so far; I've used them in one match.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, The issue seems to be resolved.  I took the easy root, shaved back the "legs" of the follower to allow more room for the 10th round.  Originally, the mag would barely hold ten rounds with no room for play.  Now, the mags when fully charged have a little extra room which seems to have released the pressure which was happening when seating the mag.  This in combination with a Lightning Strike magwell and base pads seems to have solved the issue.     Thanks to all for their thoughts, will let you know how this pans out down the road.

Slik40,

Another thing to change the "depth" of the stack of loaded rounds in 10-rd mags is to change the follower. This was done to a couple of my mags at a GSSF match this past year. The flat follower was replaced with one that is more rounded (looks like the ones that go in the hicap mags.) The mag still only held 10 rounds, but the 10th one inserted much more easily.

Debbie