Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Mods For Springfield Milspec

hooks

First of all, I'm new to this forum so if this question has been asked already, sorry in advance. I recently bought a Springfield Milspec 5" 1911 in .45 acp. I am wondering what changes for competition, if any, I really need to do to make this gun competative. I bought the pistol with mods in mind since I need a winter project. I am also new to competative pistol shooting and would like to get started maybe late summer. I plan to shoot bullseye in an NRA pistol league at the local gun range. Thanks in advance.

PB9108L.jpg

(edited to add pic.)

Edited by Flexmoney

First would be Beavertail like Flex stated above. Next would be Trigger. Then Sights. Unless the gun wont run 110%, then recut the feedramp and throat the barrel. If your Milspec was like mine it needed quite a bit of work in this area. Great gun, just shoot it! DougC

I bought a mil-spec for a truck-gun. I had the beaver-tail added for the very reason Flex mentioned. It bites :lol: Had the hammer lightened but did not reduce the trigger pull but had it cleaned up 'til crisp. Also from a carry perspective, my gun lives in a holster in the driver side door pocket. I took those miserable, cracking plastic grips off and replaced them with a pair of good rubberized slabs that a friend had laying around. The look is the same but it doesn't make as much noise in the door pocket. To me it just looks better with a better feel.

My gun shoots straight to POA with the fixed sights that came with it. Were it a competition gun ('specially bullseye), I might change them to a smoother/lower profile, but then again, I might not.

I think you have taken on a great winter project.

I ramble too much,

dj

I've got a Stainless mil-spec I've been working on. This is going to be a Single Stack Division pistol primarily, so I:

Installed hi-ride beavertail (this required a new hammer as well, so...)

Installed match Trigger, Hammer, Sear (since I was already replacing the hammer), and 19 # mainspring. Polished up the trigger pull.

Won a SA mag well at match recently, installed that.

Had slide cut for Bomars ( I had a used one laying around) and Dawson front sight.

Raised the front strap to a higher grip config with a file and dremel, and took a checkering file and made some serrations on the front strap and under the trigger guard (you can get the same effect with skateboard tape). Beadblasted all the worked on areas matte.

Installed a 2 piece guide rod and 16 pound spring.

5 McCormick 8 round Power Mags, and I'm off to the races, "retro" style :D

About $300 in parts (including mags), about $75 labor for the Bomar slide cutting. Counting gun, Bladetech injection holster, mag pouch, mags, gun parts, labor, total about $800. THIS gun didn't require financing.... :P (ok, but some of my other ones have, oh well)

Edited by sfinney

Thanks for the advice, I will check with the range to see what the rules are for various leagues for allowable mods. With mods in mind I was thinking of some Novaks for sights if I feel I need them, a snakeskin flat mainspring housing, Match trigger job, Grips, magazines and beavertail saftey. I have bought Kuhnhausens book on the 1911 for a guide for the mods. I am also considering a Kart ez fit match barrel. I haven't been "pre approved" yet from boss for that mod. I don't have this gun in my possesion yet, I pick it up from the dealer late next week.

Here is my potential list all from Brownells:

087-000-005 816S BL/F SNAKESKIN M'SPRING HOUSING---- 1

965-011-161 R16B MAINSPRING CAP BLUE --------------------1

965-011-165 R16D MAINSPRING CAP PIN BLUE--------------- 1

965-011-163 R16C MAINSPRING PIN RETAINER BLUE --------1

160-116-133 SP50163B MAINSPRING HOUSING PIN, BLUE--- 1

849-009-027 70 PALMSWELL BLUE 220 HIGH GRIP SAFETY ---1

206-103-050 CS085 1911 TAC. MATCH TRIGGER PULL KIT ---1

377-000-002 3-HOLE V-SERIES MATCH TRIGGER --------------1

087-011-004 803-1911 AUTO GRIP SCREWS, BLUE, PKG 4 ---1

849-009-000 220 DEGREE S&A INSTALLATION JIG -------------1

Edited by hooks

Thanks for the advice, I will check with the range to see what the rules are for various leagues for allowable mods. With mods in mind I was thinking of some Novaks for sights if I feel I need them, a snakeskin flat mainspring housing, Match trigger job, Grips, magazines and beavertail saftey. I have bought Kuhnhausens book on the 1911 for a guide for the mods. I am also considering a Kart ez fit match barrel. I haven't been "pre approved" yet from boss for that mod. I don't have this gun in my possesion yet, I pick it up from the dealer late next week.

Here is my potential list all from Brownells:

087-000-005 816S BL/F SNAKESKIN M'SPRING HOUSING---- 1

965-011-161 R16B MAINSPRING CAP BLUE --------------------1

965-011-165 R16D MAINSPRING CAP PIN BLUE--------------- 1

965-011-163 R16C MAINSPRING PIN RETAINER BLUE --------1

160-116-133 SP50163B MAINSPRING HOUSING PIN, BLUE--- 1

849-009-027 70 PALMSWELL BLUE 220 HIGH GRIP SAFETY ---1

206-103-050 CS085 1911 TAC. MATCH TRIGGER PULL KIT ---1

377-000-002 3-HOLE V-SERIES MATCH TRIGGER --------------1

087-011-004 803-1911 AUTO GRIP SCREWS, BLUE, PKG 4 ---1

849-009-000 220 DEGREE S&A INSTALLATION JIG -------------1

The Novaks will not be a good choice if you plan on shooting Bullseye. You'll most assuredly want adjustable sights if that's your game. Bo-Mar/clone is the best bet. These will need to be professionally installed.

Unless the thing shoots horribly, don't bother with rebarreling it, and if it shoots horribly, have someone who's done it a few (hundred) times before do it.

As far as the snakeskin mainspring housing, if you care only about looks, go for it. If you're replacing it for an improved grip, get a checkered one. You won't need a new mainspring housing pin.

You'll get a higher grip and you won't have contact between your thumb knuckle and the beavertail of the grip if you get an STI grip safety. This is a personal preference thing. Personally, I think having the safety blended like Dan Bedell does is the bee's knees.

The CS kit should be good. A trigger may or may not be necessary. I'd go for an STI plastic one over an aluminum one. You can fit the trigger on the STI unit much more easily than you can an aluminum one.

Whatever grips you decide on, you'll probably want ones that cover the front strap as it doesn't have any grip whatsoever. See here: http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/store.html

Why the grip screws?

As others have mentioned, Wilson or Tripp mags are your best bet.

All this may be moot, however, based on what's allowed in NRA Bullseye. If you are only allowed certain mods, bob the hammer, clean up the trigger, and have Bo-Mar/clone sights installed.

Thanks for your input "G". Cut and paste is a wonderful thing, only problem is it doesn't edit what you don't want first. Ignore the grip screws. The sights are priority one and the barrel is last if needed. We will see how this gun shoots. I probably will checker the front strap myself. Best price on the net for Bomar sights?

Edited by hooks

• 5 months later...

Well I finally finished my pistol this past April. I bought a Springfield G.I. and did the following modifications,

Kart National Match EZ Fit Barrel and bushing

Ed Brown Magwell

Ed Brown Snakeskin MSH

ILS elimination parts

Cylinder and Slide Trigger group set

Videcki Trigger

Smith and Alexander Palmswell grip Safety

Bomar BMCS sight installation

Chip Mc Cormick Ambi Thumb Safety

Here are a few pics, I really enjoyed this project..

000001136.jpg

000001139.jpg

000001137.jpg

Feels good, dont it! :D

Congrats on your "new" blaster!

Now wear it out!

DougC

Thanks, I have a couple hundred rounds through it right now, just factory ammo. I'm going to work up some loads this weekend..

Nice job, if I were you I would add a Hardcore extractor. The Springfield extractors have a limited life in my experience, so you might just well spend the $30 now, and not be befuddled as various problems start happening as the factory extractor loses tention.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't modify the factory extractor per Kuenhausen's book. Will I need a tension gauge for the Hardcore extractor install? I might as well order that also if I need it. Thanks again.