Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Target Load New Gun (springfeild 45 Acp)

Marcfish357

my Son Just bought a Springfield 1911 A1 coustom loaded 45 acp

we shoot in Matches at or local gun club

and are just getting into Reloading (550b press)

And would lit to hear from any one who could share their thoughts on a good

load for this gun

a friend of ours gave us some 45s that he loaded with 185gr lead swc with 3.5 grains

of what (brand of power Im not sure of ) recoil was tame and they shot well but the gun did

not want to cycle ( too light a load) what I'd like to figure out is the lightest load that this gun will cycle with...Im new to this so forgive me if this is a no brainer question.

the guns really new He's only put about 150 rounds through it

Edited by Marcfish357

I don't know what the current 45 favorite powder is but I used to burn a lot of Winchester Super Target (WST) with 185 lead wadcutters. It was a little dirty but nothing I couldn't live with. ;)

The next 45 powder I want to try is 4756.

I want to see if I can get a powder that will work with both 38SC and 45 ACP. :rolleyes:

FM

Did you try the "reloading and load" section further down the fourm list. There is an area just for 45 loads. Sounds like you were given rounds for a bullseye type gun which usually have very light recoil springs. These are way under the major power factor as used for USPSA matches.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I'd be real cautious about shooting anyone elses re-loads unless you are very sure of the person's habits and how consistent his loads are. I have a lot of friends I shoot with - and a lot that reload - but I would only trust 1 or 2 of them to load any shells for me / or run any of their shells thru my guns.

I like Hodgdon powders - and my favorite handgun powder is Titegroup in .45 and most other handgun calibers. In a 230 gr bullet I load 4.5 grains and it cycles real well thru all of my .45's with a variety of springs in them ( all 1911's ).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with JimP on this one. There are only a couple of people I trust enough to shoot their loads and I try to never let anyone shoot mine. (I'm too afraid I might have screwed one up). If you are going with an IPSC style match you might try N-320 and the 230 Precision bullet. I have had good accuracy, virtually no smoke and easy to clean afterwards.

For plinking loads, the 200 gr LSWC seems to be the bullet of choice, propelled by Clays, Bullseye, or W231. For a 230 gr FMJ, Unique seems to be a favorite and will duplicate approxiomate fatory ballistics.

I tried Titegroup this week in my 5" 45.

Nice and soft but jumps a little too much.

(This is a spring issue, I think)

The thing I didn't like was a huge case with a little dab of powder at the bottom.

One could multi charge this powder in a 45 ACP case easy.

I'm not done with Titegroup yet but I am leaning towards a little slower powder with more volume.

I may go full circle back to WST. :huh:

FM