Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Or Production This Year?

rhgunguy

I love both my 14.45 Limited and my CZ75. I am currently deciding what I am going to be shooting at my local club this year, limited or production. There are few prod shooters at my club so I would have little competition(is see this as a bad thing). But, my para needs a few things if I shoot limited. In the mean time I would be using an XD-40 5-inch. What I realy would like to know is what do you all think would help me grow more and develope some of the skills I am learning in Brian's book.

After being in your shoes some years back, I can relate.

Here is what I did:

By the end of 2001, I owned a lot of suitable handguns and after selling off my .45 Edge, I built myself a .40 cal SV from an old open gun I have. It was & still is a fine gun for Limited and it took me to the last Nationals.

However, I shot 10% below my percentage in Limited, B Class. Seems like there are a lot of guys shooting Limited, B class. It was a little de-moralizing, though I blame only my self for not shooting better.

Anyway, I realized that what separates the A & B shooters from the Masters was not really speed as much as it was points. Put another way, they shoot more "A"s. Ie, more accuracy. They also recover faster from mistakes (we all make them).

Then I saw Saul Kirsch's excellent Nationals video: TGO (Leatham) flat out stated that guys do not shoot with enough accuracy, placing their faith in pure speed.

I could certainly apply the principle of "more accuracy" in Limited. However, I often got hung up on magazine capacity, constant cleaning, reloading, springs, etc. It became a bit much to handle at a time when I should have been thinking about my accuracy.

In Production, I MUST concentrate on accuracy for points. Besides, with my CZ 9mms, the guns always work, the mags rarely need cleaning and never need tuning (buy the newer 16rd Mec Gars - they are the best ever made), and I get more mag change practice. And accuracy? CZs are incredibly accurate.

I have two close friends who got it right & simply stuck with Production & made very few changes to thier basic set-up, concentrating instead on improvement. They are now A's while I am still a B class shooter. Gun wise, take the path of least hassle (Production) and concentrate on accuracy.

D.C. Johnson

www.shootersparadise.com

After shooting CDP in IDPA and L10 with a single stack .45acp for the last 3 years I wanted to change something at the end of last year. I had really thought about going to Limited and having Nowlins build me a limited .40s&w on a STI frame, spec'd it and priced it out ($1800), even bought a second reloader (Dillon SBD) and started buying bullets. Then I got to thinking about shooting Production. I had just spent the last year shooting nothing but L10, so there wouldn't be much change in how I planned a stage and reloads. There would be limited expense in getting a Production gun, I wouldn't have to reload the 9mm (to start with, might down the road), gear cost would be much less than going to limited as far as holsters, mags etc.

And the biggest factor would be it would get me back to focusing on fundamentals, trigger control, sight alignment, speed and accuracy. One thing I know for sure is that I had allowed my accuracy to drop way down and relied on shooting major and the extremely nice big holes a 200gr semi wad cutter made (there were lots and lots of c's that turned into a's because of those nice big holes)

In limited instead of focusing on accuracy I know I would have tried to shoot faster than I could accurately. Plus I just can't get over the price of the damn mags!!! And you aways see guys over in the safe area cleaning mags, and changing springs, I didn't want to have to focus on equipment so much as I did shooting.

So I started looking at production guns, S&W 5906, CZ, XD, H&K, Sig and of course Glock.

I don't like the way the Glock feels, the Sig, XD, H&K and S&W all seemed to sit to high in my hand, so I settled on a CZ SP01 the decocker version. It felt the best out of all of the others.

I have only had a chance to shoot one local monthly match with it in November and with the crappy stock trigger (it will going to see Angus here real soon) and out of a big clumsy nylon Uncle mikes holster I was able to shoot the El Prez Classifier at a 62%.

I have spent alot of dry fire practice over the last couple of weeks and really like the feel of it, it just comes up right on target without hunting for a sight picture.

As far as other equipment, CR speed belt $50, Cr Speed mag holders $32 each (4), Blade Tech DOH holster $69, 4 additional mags $25 each, gun was only $250 (because I did a trade) even with sending it Angus I will be out less than $1000 with a couple cases of ammo in that price.

That is how I made my decision. Seeing how the years goes, who knows, might do the Limited class next year :wacko:

I'd address the question like this: What do you look for in your competition?

Yes, there are good shooters in production (and L10) espeically at the bigger matches. But no matter how you count there are more good shooters in Limited, especially at the bigger matches.

L10 is the place for you if you shoot a skinny gun, at least until single stack takes off. Production is ok if you only have a berreta or CZ or some other non-limited competitive gun.

If you have a gun that holds 15+ rounds (basically ANY high cap .40 or .45) you will find the greatest competiton, and blend of creativity, options and aggressiveness, in reg'lar ole' high cap limited.

Despite our best efforts at becoming PC about gear, courses and divisions, Open and Limited are still the big ponds where most of the big dogs will be found whether it's local or national level.

I know there are great production and L10 shooters out there who are dedicated to their division, and good for them. Personally I reload better than some other folks, but I don't switch to L10 to take advantage of that because I want to shoot against the toughest guys in our sport and they play in Limited.

Production rules need to be massaged and high cap mags need back in, and L10 should go bye bye. Open, Limited, Single Stack and Production. That's what we need, then there will be less hiding and more competing.

just my two cents.

Edited by dirtypool40

rhgunguy, I'm glad you are studying Brian's book! I'm reading it again, as well. I got my first copy in 1996 and ten years leater, I'm still growing into it.

I recommend that you choose the gun that is the easiest for you to shoot. Run some side by side drills to compare the two. I also have a CZ-75 as my lone Production gun. I love that little blaster, but it's difficult for me to manage all of the over-travel in the trigger. I'd bet that the Para will be easier to develop your skills with, but that's just a guess.