Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold CQ/T

xsrdx

Haven't seen one yet but several who should know have said it might be the next big thing in tacktikal optics.

I like them ACOG's  but what of the new kid on the block? How does it work past 200yd?

Is it the Holy Grail?

You posted in the wrong forum category

Hmm, lots of "equipment" questions right here in River City; sights, barrels, calibers, rifles, etc. The category you linked to is "Shooting Questions Rifle/Shotgun", not equipment. Tactical scopes are pretty specific to 3 Gun events, thus my reasoning.

If the moderator moves it I will stand corrected....but I don't feel it's off topic.

Thanks for the link.

Duplicate post from "3 Gun Matches"

Haven't seen one yet but several who should know have said it might be the next big thing in tacktickle optics.

I like them ACOG's  but what of the new kid on the block? How does it work past 200yd?

Is it the Holy Grail?

Yeah...the titles are a bit murky, and folks have posted equipment questions here.

Traditionally the equipment questions have gone in the other category.  Keeping everything grouped together helps people like me out.  I try to point folks to threads that may have information that addresses their question.  The forum is getting big enough that I am starting to have a bit of trouble remembering where everything is.  I don't have the time to do a search (or a number of searches for different posters)...especially when the poster could do a search themselves (that is not a dig on you...or anyone else).

Thanks.

I got to try one out at Cooley's class this weekend and it was nice.  I did'nt get to spend much time on it but if I had the chance I would get one.  Cooley did give it some praise even though he does'nt use one.  I dont remember the exact price but its steep.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no rhyme or reason to the SOF/WC3gun scope rules.   Holosights should be allowed.  I think that any one scope should be allowed as with the north carolina match.  That's easy to enforce and understand.

As for the CQ/T, I have not shot with one but I've played with them.  It had good glass and a sharp reticle.  I predict they will supplant the ACOG as the dominant SOF/WC3gun scope.  The variable power advantage is too much especially for close range stuff where you can turn a CQ/T down to a true one power.  Of course, 400-500 yard shots will favor an ACOG.  A lot will depend on the match.

In open class, I don't think the CQ/T will fare as well.  Other scopes have such a broader range of power.  I'll keep my Leupold 1.5-5X and pocket $350.

I took a brief look at one of these things at a gun show today and found it less than spectacular.  The guy running the table kept saying they were the greatest things in the world and that a bunch were headed for Afghanistan.  "But don't leave it on, or the batteries will die like they did yesterday."  I just kept thinking, "Whoop-dee-f-ing-doo."  

Yeah, the variable is nice, but it's battery-powered, has a dinky objective, and has those "tactical" rails (that only 2% of the owners will ever use) to rip up your skin and clothing up on on.  The illuminated ring is tough to see even indoors.

In light of the price, you should get a hell of a lot more.  Leupold is a home town company and I support them, but the CQ/T is pretty wanting IMHO.  If I was in the infantry, I'd take it over irons, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

My $.02,

E

Scooter,

I was really speaking toward the "combat" features.  My point was that for 800+ smackers, it should either be tritium-lit, or have better power management built in - such as a small accelerometer that powers up or down the reticle when the gun is moved.  It's hell being an infantryman out in BFE and not being able to find a Radio Shack...  :)

I'm just getting sick of seeing all these ridiculously expensive optics that provide no new features of merit.  When is someone going to get their act together and make a scope with nice glass and an auto-compensating laser rangefinder built in?  Furthermore, I can't believe anyone is producing a "tactical" scope for the military without an anti-reflective screen built-in.  All this technology exists and is mature.  I'm just stunned that no one is putting it all together.  I keep picking up the wonderous "achievements" everyone crows about, only to be sorely disappointed once again to find the same, old crud with "New," or "Tactical" on the label.  

E

• 6 months later...

Dan:

You failed to mention that you won a Trijicon TA-11 at W.C.3G. Did you guys disect it or did you just keep it??? Good shooting and we hope to see you in Mesa for Dan Furby's match.                   KURT

• 2 weeks later...

Esoogfish:

Yep it's the same match! As for the hair, I kind of doubt it as their clean room is vey impressive, although the first one I got had a mark on an inside lens from an assembley holder, you know one of those little suction cup deallies. I was just teasing about the disect, as leopold is second to none on quality products and dosen't need to copy anyone!               KURT