Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 155 Gr Leading Barrel

dstroyed

I test loaded some Kead Lead 155 gr over 4.0 grains of Tight Group OAL 1.135

After market barrel in Glock 35. I also test shot this load in a STI last weekend. Both guns had about and inch of lead up the barrel. Not real bad but definitely lead. Very thick sticky looking too. Almost like the wax from the bullets is being left behind.

I'm curious as to what some of you would recommend. My thoughts are load a little hotter and/or switch to a slower powder?

Lets here what you think. I don't really know where to start. Love shooting and the feel of lead only I don't have much lead reloading experience.

I have 2000 Lead 180 gr Kead that I'm loading up next. Any Ideas with these would be appreciated too.

Edited by dstroyed

I'm guessing you mean an OAL of 1.135". ;)

My experience with Kead bullets is that they like hot loads. I use their 158 grain RNLs in .357 Mag over 6.8 grains of Unique, which is about 30K psi according to Alliant, and have no leading problems. Increasing your powder charge ought to help, as long as it's safe in your gun.

Edited by revchuck

revchuck - you are correct 1.135. I corrected my post, thanks

scout454 - i did check, Kead says .401 and they are

My gut is telling me it is not the bullet or the barrel but how I have it loaded?

I'm going to do some more searching on here for some lead loads, 155 and 180. when I started I did some searching and is seems that lead is not all that popular.

What are some of your lead loads?

It is my opinion that TG is too fast for lead 155s going fast, you are likely burning the base of the bullet. I would try W231 or Universal Clays with this bullet. I am loading them to major with W231 and am very happy with the accuracy and lack of leading. Good luck, DougC

for steel, try 3.3 grains Clays and the 155...really soft shooting.

if you want to shoot major with lead, Winchester super field powder works great with light hard cast lead bullets.

i recently loaded some major 155 grain lead round noses with Power Pistol..aside from the nuclear muzzle blast, they werent bad..very little leading at 1150 fps.

I know I shot at least 6,000 plus lead bullets last yr for practice in the spring. I was shooting 40cal 130gr over 1200fps with Universals clays. I never had any problems at all with leading. It would only take me less than 2 mins to get my barrel cleaned up. This past weekend I shot about 250 lead 180gr bullets and my barrel was loaded with lead. They weren't even hot loads. I know I scrubbed for about 5 or 10 mins then said screw it, dumped a huge bottle of Hoppes in a container until the barrel and comp was completely covered and let it soak all night then just scrubbed it in the morning. I won't being doing that very many times. Odd the light/fast bullets hardly had any leading but the slow/heavy bullets leaded a ton. The same company made both bullets also.

Flyin40

Lead bullets of different hardness seem to need to find their own "majic zone" with regards to what velocity they will shoot without leading the barrel. (from what people say, anyways...I don't shoot lead :) )

Too fast OR too slow = leading ?

I have been shooting lead through my stock Glock barrels for years. Interesting thing is they lead much less than conventional barrels. I use two brands of lead bullets Valiant and Magnus. Mostly Valiant. I don't push them over 1,000 fps. One exception is my wife's G34 practice load of 3.5 gr of Titegroup with a 125 gr Valiant bullet at 1050 fps.

BTW a very easy way to remove lead in a SS barrel is a 50/50 mix of vinegar and peroxide. DO NOT use in a carbon steel barrel. It will etch the barrel. I use this to clean my Kimber barrels. I cap the barrel and let it sit for about 5 min. All of the lead will be removed. Keep this solution off you hands as the lead is in suspension.