Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
RAZZ

Glock factory barrel with lead

9k rounds of BBI spread across three Glocks. No problems. Just my experience. 

On 4/30/2018 at 4:21 PM, Swanny10 said:

9k rounds of BBI spread across three Glocks. No problems. Just my experience. 

+1...i  now  use  my  own casts  coated  with hi tek  for  all  my  practice  sessions.  i've  shot  close  to  10K  to  this  day,while  i'm getting    a  very light  leading  on some  occasions,i  don't  see  how  the  gun would  explode  in my  face....wether  you use  casts or  J bullets, you  still  have  to  clean the  barrel  minimaly m  from time  to  time    to  ensure  a  decent  accuracy  .  i  see  some  are  reaching a  point  where  the  riflings  are  invisible  because  lead-powder  residue  got  cooked  repeatedly  without  cleaning..... some  are  anal  like  me  about  cleaning,some   are squarely  neglecting  this  crucial aspect . casts  or  jacketed  ,if  you never  clean your  gun ,at  some point  you might  have  to  pay the price.  

On 4/5/2002 at 8:33 PM, RAZZ said:

I'll be taking everyone's advice and picking up an aftermarket barrel. I see a bunch of different brands. Whats on the collective approved list?

I like KKM barrels.  I haven't tried BarSto but hear they are excellent as well.  I have had a few lone wolf barrels and they have been hit or miss.

I bought a KKM barrel for my 34 to avoid leading after a bunch of advice here. I could tell a slight difference with my lead cast bullets where the KKM barrel leaded less. As far as accuracy goes I couldn't really tell a difference,  but that is most likely my lack of skills. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:55 PM, Adamj said:

I bought a KKM barrel for my 34 to avoid leading after a bunch of advice here. I could tell a slight difference with my lead cast bullets where the KKM barrel leaded less. As far as accuracy goes I couldn't really tell a difference,  but that is most likely my lack of skills. 

Off a rest, my stock  Glock Gen 4  barrel out shot my KKM threaded G34  barrel using several different types of ammo. Difference wasn’t huge but there was a difference. Granted I’m no bullseye shooter but tested it several times. The lockup is slightly better with the KKM though. 

Has anyone had leading issues with the Gen 5 barrels?

I cast and shoot lead bullets in my G17 and G41.  No problems. Soft bullet lube, fairly soft bullets, and properly sized bullets, i.e., not undersized, are important factors. Hardcast bullets with hard, waxy lube are a poor choice.