Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Lubrication

Hi Guys,

I'm constantly hearing different information about maintenance on the Dillons. I have a 650 that I try to keep well maintained. What I would like to know is if anyone has ever come up with a diagram or a video that details where and what you should lubricate. I know the main shaft gets 30w motor oil and the center stud is supposed to be greased, but what else. The manual only mentions those two spots.

I remember when the machine was new there was grease on the shell locater, and on the plastic slide for the case feed and on the actuator for the primer advance. I don't see any mention of that in the manual. I also know that there are holes in the linkage that people grease. I don't have a grease gun that small, so I use oil.

I have the maintenace kit that has the syringe of grease, but no other mention of where to use it. What kind of grease is in this syringe anyway?

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in my search. Maybe I'm not asking correctly. Any old links or directions to the info would be greatly appreciated.

As a caveat, I am only loading about 4K a year so no danger of it disintagrating on me and I know Dillon would replace anything that did.

Thanks.

Tom

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These were kinda buried before, so I'm reviving them and will pin the thread for future use.

From: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=30492&hl=

Here are my lubing notes for 550 seminars:

4)Reassembly of 550, emphasis on lube points

a) lube shaft w/ 30 wt motor oil

B) lube all pivot pins with grease

c) lightly grease short end of op-rod, where it enters bracket

e) clean primer retaining pin hole, lightly grease head end of pin

f) lightly grease underside of shellplate bolt, where it recesses into index sprocket

g) lightly grease rails on connector body collar

h) lightly grease roller on connector body collar

5) primer system troubleshooting

a) check tips for damage, correct installation

B) check cup height (1.215-1.220”), how to reseat on machine

c) check op-rod freeness in bracket, lube

d) clean mag tube w/ alcohol

e) clean primer slide, housing, top of frame

f) shellplate bolt adjustment, use of set screw

g) shim under primer slide

h)multiple primers dropping due to stuck retaining pin

i) adjustment of primer cup stop screws

Again, these notes were written solely for my use when giving seminars, but hopefully will make sense to everyone. I haven't worked up notes on any other loaders at this time.

Here are excerpts from my lecture notes on the 650.

Please keep in mind these are for my use when giving seminars, so they are not

in correct grammar.

4) Cleaning of 650

a) Use 409 or similar detergent cleaner to clean interior of case feeder. Never use petroleum based solvents on any plastics

B) Use alcohol on a small patch to clean interior of primer magazine and pickup tubes.

c) Use orange oil based “Gunk” handcleaner to clean interior of powder hopper, to lighten it after extended powder storage in tube.

d) Use alcohol to wipe off powder bars, and swab out interior of powder measure body where bars slide. Also use alcohol to clean interior of powder drop tube, powder funnel.

e) Use alcohol to periodically wipe off primer disc, primer seating punch.

4)Reassembly of 650, emphasis on lube points

B) lube all pivot pins with grease-show grease grooves in pins,lube holes in crank and link arms. Don’t forget mainshaft pivot pin.

c) lightly grease interior of ring indexer, camming surface of ring indexer and indexer block.

d) lightly grease the primer cam on the upper right side of the frame.

e) lightly grease angled cam surface on slide cam

f) lightly grease platform rails where case insert slide rides

g) lightly grease ramp on case insert slide, where camming pin contacts it

h) lightly grease underside of shellplate bolt, where it contacts top of shellplate.

i) lightly grease rails on connector body collar

j) lightly grease roller on connector body collar

k) lightly grease primer disc pin

l) heavily grease underside of station one locator, where it fits into platform entension

This is from Gary (dillon) on lubing the Square Deal:

On the SDB grease is the only lube to use. If you use your machine a lot, then annually grease it. Grease the following areas:

• vertical corners of the square ram
  • inside and outside of the link arm bearings
  • cross pin that connects the handle to the bottom of the square ram (remove set screw first!)
  • bottom angled surface of the index lever- in the back of the square ram
  • underside of the head of the shellplate bolt, where it contacts the top of the shellplate
  • vertical ribs on the connector body collar, where the powder measure body slides up and down on it
  • roller on the arm of the connector body collar
  • clean the white plastic primer retaining pin, very sparingly grease the head end of it
  • grease the bolt the brass roller on the right side of the primer slide rides upon

Edited by benos
Added Square Deal from Gary (dillon)

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
None that I've seen.

My 550 does not have grease zerks either. Purchased in December 06 from BrianEnos.com.

There are pilot holes (6 total / 2 for each pivot pin) that I suppose you could put zerks but I don't know why they didn't get put on at the factory? I don't know how else you could grease the pivot pins otherwise?

Okie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just take some FP10 and drip a drop on the little holes and let it soak in while I move it. The main shaft is the one to keep clean to prevent from wearing in my opinion. The rest of the little shafts are just there to move the big one up and down.

• 9 months later...

You're supposed to lubricate them? :surprise:

just kidding. Oil on the pivot points and grease on the slides on the brass feeder and shellplate turner have worked for me. Keeping the dirt/burnt primer compounds and such cleaned off will go a long way toward keeping one working.

OBTW,

If they have zerk fittings, I'd put a shot in them. If nothing else a good quality bearing grease should be sufficient.

FWIW

dj

You're supposed to lubricate them? :surprise:

just kidding. Oil on the pivot points and grease on the slides on the brass feeder and shellplate turner have worked for me. Keeping the dirt/burnt primer compounds and such cleaned off will go a long way toward keeping one working.

OBTW,

If they have zerk fittings, I'd put a shot in them. If nothing else a good quality bearing grease should be sufficient.

FWIW

dj

I deprime on another press before i clean my brass, so that goes a long ways toward keeping the press clean

Just copied Dillon's 12/15/06 post on lubrication 650. Would sure like to see part numbers added so I can link part as shown in instruction book to the loader. I'm kinda slow, you see. I need pictures to fully understand what is supposed to be lubed, tightened or adjusted.

Thanks,

Jim B.

• 3 weeks later...
Picked up some Mobil One 10w30, they didn't hace and straight 30 weight, but figured sense my house is warm, it will be 10w anyway

Go to the auto parts store and buy a needle bearing grease adapter to fit the end of a hand grease gun and use good chassis lube and your problem is solved greasing those 6 little holes.

Picked up some Mobil One 10w30, they didn't hace and straight 30 weight, but figured sense my house is warm, it will be 10w anyway

Go to the auto parts store and buy a needle bearing grease adapter to fit the end of a hand grease gun and use good chassis lube and your problem is solved greasing those 6 little holes.

I use one of these for my 550:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P6...amp;dir=catalog

The grease is designed for air ratchets, and works great in many firearms related applications.

I learned a good lesson. Never use a spray lube around the linkages of the powder measure. I sprayed a small amount of Teflon dry film spray on the linkages so they would quit squeaking and occasionally popping.About 100 rounds later and my low powder sensor started blipping very lightly. I weighed my charge and only had 2.6 instead of 3.8. The spray lube creeped into the powder funnel and started accumulating a grain of powder about every stroke and eventually prevented the powder from falling free into the case. It was also building up a bit in the slide bars of the measure. Took it down and cleaned it thoroughly and problem fixed and lesson learned. Now I have a 500 round batch with several light charge loades mixed in.

Also....on the lube notes. Slide Glide Lite is awesome to use on the main shaft and pivot shafts and anywhere else a light grease is needed. Pack it in a syringe with needle applicator and tadow. This is what I now apply lightly to the linkage arms of the powder measure as well. I apply it very lightly and rub it around with my finger.

These were kinda buried before, so I'm reviving them and will pin the thread for future use.

From: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=30492&hl=

f) lightly grease underside of shellplate bolt, where it recesses into index sprocket

Again, these notes were written solely for my use when giving seminars, but hopefully will make sense to everyone. I haven't worked up notes on any other loaders at this time.

in correct grammar.

4) Cleaning of 650

a) Use 409 or similar detergent cleaner to clean interior of case feeder. Never use petroleum based solvents on any plastics

B) Use alcohol on a small patch to clean interior of primer magazine and pickup tubes.

c) Use orange oil based “Gunk” handcleaner to clean interior of powder hopper, to lighten it after extended powder storage in tube.

d) Use alcohol to wipe off powder bars, and swab out interior of powder measure body where bars slide. Also use alcohol to clean interior of powder drop tube, powder funnel.

B) lube all pivot pins with grease-show grease grooves in pins,lube holes in crank and link arms. Don’t forget mainshaft pivot pin.

c) lightly grease interior of ring indexer, camming surface of ring indexer and indexer block.

h) lightly grease underside of shellplate bolt, where it contacts top of shellplate.

l) heavily grease underside of station one locator, where it fits into platform entension

From: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...c=30492&hl=

in correct grammar.

4) Cleaning of 650

Any way to get part #s associated with the above for a 650?

Just copied Dillon's 12/15/06 post on lubrication 650. Would sure like to see part numbers added so I can link part as shown in instruction book to the loader. I'm kinda slow, you see. I need pictures to fully understand what is supposed to be lubed, tightened or adjusted.

Thanks,

Jim B.

The Dillon manuals have exploded drawings with numbers that reference the part # and part name. The manuals can be downloaded from Dillons's web site. The 650 manual has drawings and part lists on several pages starting about page 50.