Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sellier And Bellot

Clay1

Sellier and Bellot sponsored the current World IPSC Production champion Adam Tyc. He is a Czech shooter and Sellier and Bellot is a Czech company. I want your oppinion on how to pronounce this one.

If it were French it would be Sell e ehh and Bel low. If you give it the American twist is would be Bel lot and Sell ier. It's Czech and I don't have a clue. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated.

My experience with the brass from this company in 9mm is that the primer pockets are so tight that my Fed primers don't seat in these cases very well. If I ever have a case not take the primer on the first time, it is 95% S&B brass.

Thanks,

Rick

Dale, I'm with you all the way on S&B until someone can tell me how to say it without embarrassing myself too badly. B)

I was in a gun store yesterday and a customer was asking about the Leo pold scopes. :huh:

I'm thinking: IT IS LEU POLD! There is no Leo in the house! So when I refer to S & B I want to make it somewhat accurate. I don't know if this American can ever say it the way a Czech would, but am interested in getting it as close as I can.

Thanks for making me smile though,

Rick

My experience with the brass from this company in 9mm is that the primer pockets are so tight that my Fed primers don't seat in these cases very well. If I ever have a case not take the primer on the first time, it is 95% S&B brass.

Thanks,

Rick

I don't know how to pronounce it, but I have had some bad things to say about the brass. :angry: It is good ammo off the shelf, but in .45 I cull the brass and don't even try to reload it. It has a tendency to crush in my 550 and like you said about primers in 9mm, I have the same problem in .45.

IMHO, it ranks up there pretty close with AMERC.

YMMV

dj

Americanized (a least below the Mason-Dixon line) most of the folks I deal with pronounce it sel-LER & BEL-lot

The real pronunciation fun is going to be when I start selling Fiocchi ammo to a large Southern and Midwestern audience. Odds are, unless you've ever delt with trap, skeet, or sporting clays you're not going to have a clue.

Thanks Middleman, almost forgot about this thread. I've heard it Sel - ler many times too - just that the "I" in SellIer had me wondering. While typing the response to your post I decided to call the company see how they say it. The offices were closed and a gentleman with a southern accent was on the recorded announcement. He said it like you said Middleman. The "i" in SellIer was silent and the "T" in Bellot was a hard "T". Bel - loT.

I recomended this same technique, to call the company and ask, for a friend of mine that kept saying Leo Pold. I guess that I should have taken my own advice earlier too. Thanks for the comments everyone.

On Fiocchi I have heard it two ways: Fee ah chi and Fee oh chi, so what is it Middleman?

Rick

On saying Leo Pold in Wisconsin, we had the fortune of having a nationally recognized conservationalist in Aldo Leopold and his name is often used in hunting circles and that might have caused some confussion as well.

Thanks on the Fee Oh Key pronounciation.

Rick

Sellier & Bellot are not Czech names, they are indeed French. I don't know how the Czechs pronounce it, but I have always stuck to: Sell-yay and Bell-low

That's what I thought, too. "Sell-ee-YAY eh Bell-LOW." :D

I did more research this morning. From the S&B website: "Louis Sellier, a French merchant, received the privilege to manufacture percussion caps for infantry firearms in its newly founded factory in Prague from Franz I., the Emperor of Austria. Shortly afterwards he invited his countryman, Jean Maria Nicolaus Bellot, to join the company. Under his leadership the manufacture quickly gained momentum and Sellier & Bellot products soon established themselves on both European and overseas markets."

So yes indeed the names are French and the company was founded in the Czech republic and remains Czech to this day. I guess if nothing else the years of French in college will have some use after all. I will say Sel li eh and Bel low and be done with it then my friends will correct me and say Sel leR and Bel loT and I can give them all of this background. All this for an ammo that I don't shoot and don't care to reload, but an interesting thread none the less.

Rick

I did more research this morning. From the S&B website: "Louis Sellier, a French merchant, received the privilege to manufacture percussion caps for infantry firearms in its newly founded factory in Prague from Franz I., the Emperor of Austria. Shortly afterwards he invited his countryman, Jean Maria Nicolaus Bellot, to join the company. Under his leadership the manufacture quickly gained momentum and Sellier & Bellot products soon established themselves on both European and overseas markets."

So yes indeed the names are French and the company was founded in the Czech republic and remains Czech to this day. I guess if nothing else the years of French in college will have some use after all. I will say Sel li eh and Bel low and be done with it then my friends will correct me and say Sel leR and Bel loT and I can give them all of this background. All this for an ammo that I don't shoot and don't care to reload, but an interesting thread none the less.

Rick

Don't forget: the ampersand is in French, too. ;)

I have yet to devise an explaination of granny's Wal-Mark's however.

LOL...

My mother says it the same way. She swears she can't hear a difference in the two pronunciations.

On a recent visit back to central Indiana my sister who until recently spent her entire adult life living around the Seattle area and my mother were out shopping. As they were driving along my mother says that she just remembered she has to stop at Mars for something. My sister never hearing of such a store starts looking for a sign. Finally she asked where Mars is. My mother just pulling into the parking lot points up and says " It's right here, can't you see that big sign?". My sister laughs and says, " Mom, this is called MEJIER not Mars!". Not missing a beat my mother says, " Yes it's called Mars, that's what I said!!!"

:D

And then there's Hogue, which I've heard as "hoe-guh", "hawg", "ho-gway", "hawg-way", and "hoagie". I use the first, but will willingly stand corrected... :D

One syllable: Hoag.

How about Franchi.

I think its "fran-Key", like Bianchi.

But 99% of the time I only hear "frenchy".

Frahn-kee. Bee-ahn-kee, for that matter.