Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burn Out...

Flexmoney

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have worked with several of the same firearms instructors for over 15 years. While I still love to shoot and have a healthy respect for firearms… This is not the case with some of my coworkers.

Here is the analogy. Amusement parks are fun, right? It would be terrific to work there, right? Well, at my last trip to Kings Dominion, I could see the look of death and boredom on many of the faces of the people who work there. Unfortunately many of my coworkers have the same look on their faces. I know it's hard to believe… But yes it can even happen at a gun range!

When I began working as a firearms instructor, I vowed to never let the work interfere with my love for firearms and the sport.

This was interesting about the OP's goal theory.I read Bassham's book about how he was flat after winning the gold.I had the best year of my life shooting this year.I blew all my goals out of the water.The day after the last shoot when I woke up I just felt dead inside.This depression of sorts lasted about a month...My coach and I started putting new goals together for next year and the fire is coming back.

• 2 years later...

Working consistently at something without totally saturating oneself in it or obsessing about it will help prevent burnout while enjoying most of the benefits of pursuing it.

But if you seek to be at the very top level of something, you are going to have to saturate yourself and obsess about it, for a long time, before you're one of the best. What do you do in that case?

I remember a story about one of the world's finest trumpet players who held the principal trumpet chair in a top symphony orchestra, and also kept a full schedule of teaching aspiring trumpeters. He said that every summer, he took one full month to go fishing and completely get away from civilization, music and his trumpet. The last few days of his time off, he started to really miss his trumpet, his musician friends, and the magnificent music they made. His rest was complete and he went back at it full force for the next 11 months. I believe he did this every single year over a multi-decade career.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have to say I got burned out in a different way.  I had a divorce so all my money and guns went to get back on my feet.  In that time I also had a bad motorcycle accident that put me back in motivation.  

Do or did I want to stop no.  Had the chance to get back into the game 4 years later. I have to say the excitement I had before was lacking and I do believe it's due to my accident 3 years ago.  I am a believer that if I practice as I did before  I'm sure I can get that excitement back.  I feel I gave up. Trying to turn that around but it seems like I need motivation. I guess you can say it's hard to motivate myself at times. We will see where this goes as LIFE doesn't stop for no one.  

• 3 weeks later...

For me having success kills burn out. Coming in 3rd place 4 times in a row can start burn out for sure. Sometimes starting a new hobby or interest can  your outlook on life in general. Just my 2cents........

• 1 year later...
On 1/12/2006 at 1:15 AM, spook said:

My burnout came when I started doing things other people wanted me to do. It also had something to do with being afraid to let go of things that have given you success in the past (say you're a good Lim shooter and you're afraid to switch to Open because you will have to "start from scratch"). The funny thing is that there is no thing more detrimental to shooting performance than burn out...

If you do EXACTLY what you want, there's no burn out. This includes taking breaks, switching divisions, shooting different shooting games etc.

My 2 cents.

Good advice, on some days when I plan to go live fire practice and as I’m getting stuff ready to leave   my drive kind of dies and I’m just not feeling it.  I’ve worked through it and forced it some times and the practice just wasn’t effective cause my head wasn’t in the game 

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to switch games when I burn out. I cycle between USPSA, 3 Gun and PRS. Currently on on the long range kick and haven't shot USPSA in over a year.

I know that's not the way to get good at any one sport but I'm in it for fun.

Run two clubs and build stages for a third.  For 3 years, that will do it. I would be interested to see how many of these posters are club administrators. I got tired of the complainers who show up at 9:00, do nothing and then complain all day.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:15 PM, whoflungdo said:

Run two clubs and build stages for a third.  For 3 years, that will do it. I would be interested to see how many of these posters are club administrators. I got tired of the complainers who show up at 9:00, do nothing and then complain all day.

That's rough, I'm president of a local gun range but we only host a couple events a year, and that's more than enough.

• 2 months later...

I pretty much took the last 18 months off and have been playing competitive softball and coaching my daughters team. It’s been a blast and I am just now coming back to the forum more seriously and also competitive shooting. During the break I did a lot of recreational shooting and it was really fun to shoot my carry gun and my Gen5 G19. Forgot how fun it was to just shoot. Now it’s time to roll! I also learned to shoot what division you want and have fun! 

• 4 months later...

I got burn out due to being overwhelmed.  I wanted to do full carry optic conversion, get a real competitive pcc, and upgrade the reloading press.  I just felt like I had a lot to do to make shooting care free again.  But I just spent the money and got it all done and I'm super excited to get back into it and dryfire and compete again.

My burnout came after spending pretty much every day, between April and October, doing something IPSC related and not having an M on my classification card.  Walked away after the 2008 season, sold most of my gear, and never missed it.  

None of the social / leisure activities I've since been involved in are available, since I relocated to Kansas, so I decided to start competing again.  I think I'll escape burnout, this time around, because I'm competing as something to do as opposed to it being a passion.  Sometimes, apathy can be a useful sentiment.

I stopped about 2010ish,,, for me it was the time to shooting ratio.,. was only 1 USPSA match and that was a 5 hour round trip drive , Plus match had to be signed up for a week out to get a slot. Basically putting in a 12 hour day for less than 2 minutes of shooting.  Was some IDPA  a bit closer but wasnt interested in it very much as the inconsistent rules and vague rule book just got to me. 
Got into horses, then endurance racing them,,  got myself and my horse injured and while we both rehabbed and did one more ride, my heart wasnt in it anymore either.. Played with mounted shooting a bit, and recently stumbled into a nearly NIB XDM osp,,, so may check out a couple IDPA "Like" matches... that are only about an hour away.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I stopped about 2010ish,,, for me it was the time to shooting ratio.,. was only 1 USPSA match and that was a 5 hour round trip drive , Plus match had to be signed up for a week out to get a slot. Basically putting in a 12 hour day for less than 2 minutes of shooting.  Was some IDPA  a bit closer but wasnt interested in it very much as the inconsistent rules and vague rule book just got to me. 
Got into horses, then endurance racing them,,  got myself and my horse injured and while we both rehabbed and did one more ride, my heart wasnt in it anymore either.. Played with mounted shooting a bit, and recently stumbled into a nearly NIB XDM osp,,, so may check out a couple IDPA "Like" matches... that are only about an hour away.

Distance to matches are critical. If I lived where the closest match was 2 hours away I would find something else to do. 

I often think of moving back to where I was raised and just retire to the front porch but its very rural and there is nothing of any significance to do within a few hours.

11 hours ago, Joe4d said:

was only 1 USPSA match and that was a 5 hour round trip drive , 

There's a USPSA group west of RVA, that started up 2013'ish.  Still a bit of a haul, but should be well under 2 hours each way.

18 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

For most shooters burn out is a combination of unrealistic expectations mixed with an unsustainable participation level. Do yourself a favor and keep those two things in balance with one another.

Very well said.

I balance shooting sports with my art focuses such that I only go to about 2 matches a month and don't practice or train, but it's still enjoyable, for me.

You have to find what makes it fun, FOR YOU.

Stay FLAVA

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For me it has been too much of the stuff I hate offsetting the stuff I like. 

I used to to drive to the desert and find a quiet hillside. Over the last 10 years every nitwit, their halfwit brother and their mom have been shooting into the air like ISIS at a wedding. I cannot stand driving out their to find trash shooting morons in every corner of the desert.

And drama. USPSA drama, PCC drama, range drama. Ain’t nobody got time for that.

lastly, tendonitis. Screw that dirty hooker. When your mental game is on but your body doesn’t cooperate is really a downer. 

Rant off. Still better than work....

On 8/10/2019 at 6:07 AM, Sarge said:

PCC deserves everything it gets.😂

True story. Honestly, they could solve half the drama with mag length limits. Make it same as open. 50 round mags! Screw that. Better yet, everyone only gets 8. Make Single Stack Great Again!