Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouches vs Bag/Mags on Table

SIGcurious

I have the rifle and rimfire pistol magazines on the table, centerfire pistol magazines (and revolver moonclips) on the belt

Mostly because my belt with a holster has magazine holders, so I might as well use them.

23 hours ago, DrewM said:

I do mags in a case, 5 mags/10rnds each.  I’m about to bag the gun as well, carrying around a heavy steel gun in the Fl tropics for the match is getting old.

You are daring.  I bring six mags, just in case.

9 hours ago, warpspeed said:

What do you do with them once a sting is done ?  Put them back on your belt or ?

It's not too complicated.

You put the one out of your pistol into the empty holder on your belt and then reach your now empty hand to the next mag in line to load your pistol.  Repeat.

13 hours ago, zzt said:

You are daring.  I bring six mags, just in case.

I should bring an extra magazine or two and put in the cart of junk...but honestly if I had a magazine failure in a match, I'd just load up the remaining mags heavier - I could be loading them up to 20+rnds (technically a rule violation as I've been shooting CO, but nobody at a local match is counting), but I like the 10 and change every string...and if I go over 10 rounds in a string, I may as well just throw the empty magazine at the plate as that string is a train wreck already.  

I do see a lot of folks do the USPSA rig thing, that's probably the 'norm' around here for folks shooting centerfire pistol classes, but I'm lazy and want less weight on my body.  

I used to do the belt, now I use the table for both rim fire and center fire. I keep my mags facing forward when they are full and just turn them around after they have been used for a string. try it both ways and see what works for you. I have a cheaper one than this that has lasted for quite a number of years without the removable carry strap, its a very inexpensive option to give a try. 

Mag Pouch.jpg

Mag Pouch 1.jpg

On 9/26/2024 at 5:35 AM, GKB said:

It's not too complicated.

You put the one out of your pistol into the empty holder on your belt and then reach your now empty hand to the next mag in line to load your pistol.  Repeat.

In general I don't think it's a good habit to get into of putting a less than full magazine on your belt.

But that's just me.  

42 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

In general I don't think it's a good habit to get into of putting a less than full magazine on your belt.

But that's just me.  

I have proven that full mags only is a good idea more than once! 🤣