Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I buy 8 lbs of AA#7 ?

ard212

Essentially, I have the chance of buying 8 lbs of AA#7, old batch from when it was still made in Israel, I would be using it to load for my MPX (8 inch, factory barrel, no SBR laws here), I'm currently using a locally made powder that's on the faster side, 3.4 grains with a 150 grain round nose copper plated bullet gives me around 900 FPS give or take, 135 PF, not good, not bad, it cycles 100 % of the time and locks the bolt back on the last shot, it's clean and I have a lot of it, but it is kinda snappy even with a good brake (Have the one that comes pre-installed on the 16 inch MPX).

Should I buy some AA#7 ? It is a slower powder, problem is, will it work well while still using "heavy" bullets ? Not really looking to change bullet weights to be honest.

Not for your application,, trying to get gas to work a comp at minor 9, is kinda no win situation.. At minor,, you are still generally better off with fast powder. You think your gun is snally now, wait till you try that bullet combo with AA7. If you think open major 9 is in your future or the deal is good enough you can trade it ,, Id go for it.

AA#7 should work with that bullet weight. You'll be loading much more powder (~6gr). It will feel different, probably more of a push than a snap (maybe?), but I wouldn't buy it unless you were getting a great deal or couldn't find another powder. What I can't speak to is the comp. I didn't think that your MPX had a comp, but I'd defer to Joe4d since he knows a lot more than I do on the subject.

Edited by 4n2t0

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

AA#7 should work with that bullet weight. You'll be loading much more powder (~6gr). It will feel different, probably more of a push than a snap (maybe?), but I wouldn't buy it unless you were getting a great deal or couldn't find another powder. What I can't speak to is the comp. I didn't think that your MPX had a comp, but I'd defer to Joe4d since he knows a lot more than I do on the subject.

Yeah,, that's what I'm looking for, I want a push not a "snap", it's a good deal considering local pricing and the fact that there is almost no powder available, not a comp, a muzzle brake, this is what I have:

DSC_0268-3.png

Edited by ard212

well powder you have always trumps powder you cant get.. Probably not much help with that muzzle brake,, other than the weight on the end..  I mean we are still talking minor 9 though..  soo there is that..
AA7 isnt really known for being super clean,, I would imagine at the lower pressure you are dealing with its gonna be dirty.. But thats just a guess,, as in general lower pressure equals more dirt..  A lighter bullet at your PF may clean it up some, but you mentioned you didnt want to change bullets..

You mentioned cost,, so what it s the cost ? Because you really need to look at cost per shot, vs cost per lb.. A good deal isnt so good when you consider you are using double the powder, 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

well powder you have always trumps powder you cant get.. Probably not much help with that muzzle brake,, other than the weight on the end..  I mean we are still talking minor 9 though..  soo there is that..
AA7 isnt really known for being super clean,, I would imagine at the lower pressure you are dealing with its gonna be dirty.. But thats just a guess,, as in general lower pressure equals more dirt..  A lighter bullet at your PF may clean it up some, but you mentioned you didnt want to change bullets..

You mentioned cost,, so what it s the cost ? Because you really need to look at cost per shot, vs cost per lb.. A good deal isnt so good when you consider you are using double the powder, 

Yeah, I was aware it was gonna be dirtier than the powder I'm currently running.

When I say it's a good deal, let me put this way, W231 last year was 60 per lb, then 80 at the beginning of this year, then 100, then 120, now it's no longer available unless you can convince another shooter to sell you some, well, I'm getting the 8 lbs of AA#7 for 840, which would make it 105 a lb, IDK, seems like a good deal to me, I have around 6/7 lbs of the stuff I'm currently loading, but I'm gonna run out eventually, and even tho it's a pretty clean burning powder, it was originally intended to load 45 ACP, not 9mm.

Edited by ard212

Might seen like a good deal, until you factor in you need twice as powder for the same load/velocity.

If you are loading 3.4 grains of powder, the price just doesn't matter much.

Edited by xrayfk05

12 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

105 a lb,, ? add primers and brass ? surely you can get bulk loaded 9mm ammo for less than that.

Keep in mind, I'm from Argentina.

1 hour ago, xrayfk05 said:

Might seen like a good deal, until you factor in you need twice as powder for the same load/velocity.

If you are loading 3.4 grains of powder, the price just doesn't matter much.

I mean, I could relegate my current powder to level 1 matches and use AA#7 for level 3 matches.

59 minutes ago, ard212 said:

Keep in mind, I'm from Argentina. 

Ouch, $105 per pound, I feel for you. I though we had it rough in Canada, guess not, lol. I recently bought 16 lbs of 231/HP-38 for $678 CAD ($440 USD or 404,724 ARS [crazy inflation, eh?]). When compared with your current load you'll be using nearly twice the amount of powder, so I would add that consideration to your cost calculation. e.g. 8 lbs of another random powder at $1200, that utilizes a charge weight of 3.4gr, would still be more economical.

58 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Ouch, $105 per pound, I feel for you. I though we had it rough in Canada, guess not, lol. I recently bought 16 lbs of 231/HP-38 for $678 CAD ($440 USD or 404,724 ARS [crazy inflation, eh?]). When compared with your current load you'll be using nearly twice the amount of powder, so I would add that consideration to your cost calculation. e.g. 8 lbs of another random powder at $1200, that utilizes a charge weight of 3.4gr, would still be more economical.

Uhm, that's the ehm, "official" exchange rate, 1 USD = 940 ARS, the "real" exchange rate is 1500 ARS = 1 USD.

Also, don't worry, I got my current powder stash under 40 USD per lb.

2 minutes ago, ard212 said:

Uhm, that's the ehm, "official" exchange rate, 1 USD = 940 ARS, the "real" exchange rate is 1500 ARS = 1 USD.

Also, don't worry, I got my current powder stash under 40 USD per lb.

Yes I just looked that up and that 8 pounds would be .91 cents US. That’s crazy. 

4 minutes ago, ard212 said:

Sorry, 91 cents per shot ?

Well I don’t know if I did it right but I took your figure of $840 ARS and put it into the calculator and it showed .91 cents as the equivalent in US dollars. 

Edited by Farmer

Just now, Farmer said:

Well I don’t know if I did it right but I took your figure of $840 ARS and put it into the calculator and it showed .91 cents as the equivalent. 

All my figures were always in USD, you know, to avoid confusion.

If I was going to use AA7 in a locked breech pcc... I'd be thinking the lightest bullet I could legally shoot and crank the velocity up to get to whatever IPSC requires for pcc (plus hopefully lighter bullets are cheaper where you are. ) As someone above pointed out Aa7 gets cleaner with hotter loads and cleaner is something you'll appreciate with that gas system. Plus you could maybe get enough gas to get some benefit out of the muzzle break you have.

You might need a restricted gas plug and some different springs to get the cycle/bolt velocity you want given that you are going to have more gas volume/dwell than you would have with a faster pistol powder like you have been using (and that matters with an MPX) Not sure if  In Lead We Trust ships parts to Argentina so might be hard to get racing parts for an MPX where you are.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

If I was going to use AA7 in a locked breech pcc... I'd be thinking the lightest bullet I could legally shoot and crank the velocity up to get to whatever IPSC requires for pcc (plus hopefully lighter bullets are cheaper where you are. ) As someone above pointed out Aa7 gets cleaner with hotter loads and cleaner is something you'll appreciate with that gas system. Plus you could maybe get enough gas to get some benefit out of the muzzle break you have.

You might need a restricted gas plug and some different springs to get the cycle/bolt velocity you want given that you are going to have more gas volume/dwell than you would have with a faster pistol powder like you have been using (and that matters with an MPX) Not sure if  In Lead We Trust ships parts to Argentina so might be hard to get racing parts for an MPX where you are.

I have access to both the restricted gas plug and the adjustable one, I also have the complete spring set from ILWT.

Still, not really interested in changing bullet weights, I don't mind if I have to clean the gun after every match, I shoot 1 or 2 PCC matches per month tops, 120/150 shots each.

Edited by ard212