Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPA DS9 vs Vudoo Priest vs Bul Tac Pro

I've been shooting CZ Shadow 1 & 2 for years, and thinking about changing platforms to a 2011 - mainly for IDPA, but also USPSA and Steel Challenge.

Currently considering the MasterPiece Arms DS9 Hybrid, Vudoo Priest and the Bul Armory Tac Pro.

Anyone have opinions on which would be better & why?

I'm leaning toward the Tac Pro (although they are always sold out) due to the lower price and slightly smaller grip frame.

I had a Stacatto P for a short time and didn't like it due to having to break my grip for mag changes. I never needed to do that with CZs.

If it were me I'd do the MPA or the Vudoo. 

Bul's seem nice but they're hard to get and the mags are different. If I go to a match with my 2011 and for some reason I need a mag I can find a 2011 mag in no time. I may not get my hands on a bul mag. But they do seem good and probalby wont hold you back. 

You can get bigger mag buttons for 2011's if needed. Personally I just break my grip to reach it. 

One of my club members just had a miserable time with VGW customer service while trying to order a Priest.  Pushed him right into an Atlas.  Unfortunate and certainly avoidable, I would think.

6 hours ago, Archer said:

One of my club members just had a miserable time with VGW customer service while trying to order a Priest.  Pushed him right into an Atlas.  Unfortunate and certainly avoidable, I would think.

They did him a favor. lol

8 hours ago, Archer said:

Can you share any details?

I'm a CZ guy who has recently discovered and quickly become addicted to 2011s. I've got newish MPA DS9 Hybrids bith a full sized and commander, Bul Air (older model competion gun) and Bul Tac 4.25 (older model), among others. The Buls are terrific values to be sure. The new models come with 4 mags and additional mags are relatively inexpensive and available so the mag incompatibility with other 2011s might not be a big deal. And they hold an extra round compared to 2011 mags. The optics on the Buls sit lower than my DS9 which is a plus. Plastic vs metal grips is a personal decision. I like them both. My DS9 is buillt/fit a bit better/nicer than my Air but I shoot them the same. If a Bul Blaze (updated Air with many improvements) is IDPA compliant, I'd surely consider one (altho it doesn't have ports). Really, the difference between a Bul Tac 5in Pro and DS9 will be that the Bul will feel less refined and more like a duty gun while the DS9 feels like a competition gun. I haven't shot a Villain so can't comment on them other than to say I prefer optics plates for the flexibility they allow. Good luck with your decision!