Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competitor Minimum for Match?

What is the minimum number of competitors required to run a Level 1 match?

It takes 10 USPSA members to form a club, which must run 7 matches/yr (4/yr w/ classifer) to reaffiliate. But what about individual matches? Technically, could there be 1 person matches?

Posted (edited)

The rule books says recommended minimum competitors for a Level 1 match is 10. 

I think if you had a non-shooting RO and MD, I guess a single person could shoot a match.

Sounds like a great question for NROI

Edited by warpspeed

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

The rule books says recommended minimum competitors for a Level 1 match is 10. 

I think if you had a non-shooting RO and MD, I guess a single person could shoot a match.

Sounds like a great question for NROI

Exactly, if it is recommended, then it is not required.

I didn't see anything that said the MD, RO, and at least 1 competitor have to be different people. Chapter 7 defines the various match officials. 

If it's not prohibited...

Edited by LuckyDucky

1 hour ago, LuckyDucky said:

Exactly, if it is recommended, then it is not required.

I didn't see anything that said the MD, RO, and at least 1 competitor have to be different people. Chapter 7 defines the various match officials. 

If it's not prohibited...

No, but common sense would say the RO can't be the Competitor.  Scoring requirements and all.

There's no particular reason why a RO cannot also be a competitor, as long as somebody will run the timer for him/her.

7.2.3 A Match Official who is disqualified from a match for a safety infraction while competing will continue to be eligible to serve as a Match Official for the match.

14 minutes ago, warpspeed said:

No, but common sense would say the RO can't be the Competitor.  Scoring requirements and all.

What rule? Many rules refer to supervision by the RO, but there's nothing that says the competitor cannot be self-supervised.

11 minutes ago, perttime said:

There's no particular reason why a RO cannot also be a competitor, as long as somebody will run the timer for him/her.

7.2.3 A Match Official who is disqualified from a match for a safety infraction while competing will continue to be eligible to serve as a Match Official for the match.

What rule says the person operating the timer must be a different person than the competitor?

Troy's take on it:

"You are correct in that one could have a one person match, but it would be unethical to do so since that person would be the only person controlling everything.

There is no minimum number of competitors for a level one, but common sense should dictate that there need be more than 2 or 3 or even 4 people to run an effective match."

So maybe if I wanted to interpet that response in light of the rulebook, I would say 10.6.1 always applies to 1-person matches (unsportsmanlinke conduct).

6 minutes ago, togmaster said:

The way I've been shooting lately I'd wind up 2nd in a one person match.

🤣😂

I thought this was going to be about setup, shooting, ROing, scoring, teardown. Everything it takes to have a match

What kind of stages are 1, 2, or 3 people going to set up? Assuming 4 or 5 stages. 

47 minutes ago, MHicks said:

I thought this was going to be about setup, shooting, ROing, scoring, teardown. Everything it takes to have a match

What kind of stages are 1, 2, or 3 people going to set up? Assuming 4 or 5 stages. 

My first thought was classifiers

1 hour ago, warpspeed said:

My first thought was classifiers

Yeah, classifiers would be ok. As an occssional thing.  Locally at a club with setup the same morning of the match they've decided if 15 shooters aren't registered bu Thursday, match canceled. Like most clubs the same limited number are usually there for setup.

It sound like the OP is trying to figure out a way to make sure his club status stays in the good column with HQ - I'm totally OK with whatever makes that happen.

I just think if I'm going to go to all the effort to set up two or three stages I'd at least want a buddy to go and run the timer and I do know of some ranges that frown upon singles for safety reasons.